Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris mpg be like

Serban

My Yaris may not fly and can be quite boring at times, but I've decided to settle down for one that doesn't do drugs or drinks( hehe) too much, you kno' wha' I mean?

IMG_20230914_121851.jpg

• Like 2

Very good. The MK4 is far from boring, takes corners well, great mpg, good styling, compact, enough speed. 

The MK3 was boring, I know because had it for 5 years. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Mojo1010 said:

Very good. The MK4 is far from boring, takes corners well, great mpg, good styling, compact, enough speed. 

The MK3 was boring, I know because had it for 5 years. 

Quite right Mojo I think it's just a little genius of a car in fact I would go as far as to say that it's the best car I've ever driven over 50+years of driving. 

• Like 5

It's really impressive how some slight tweaks have made the power train so much better - That combined with the much stiffer TNGA platform chassis has really produced a cracking car! :yes:

I just wish they'd done this sooner! Imagine if the original Prius had this drive train! Everyone'd be driving hybrids now, instead of people still thinking they're slow! :laugh: 

I think the biggest differences have been made by 2 things - 1) The reduction gear that allows MG2 to work well into the higher speeds, vs the 30-40mph it used to be limited to, and 2) The engine's ability to switch to Otto-cycle mode and deliver a lot more torque when asked :naughty: 

Both of these are things they could have done in the 2nd and 3rd gen!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Bernard Foy said:

Quite right Mojo I think it's just a little genius of a car in fact I would go as far as to say that it's the best car I've ever driven over 50+years of driving. 

The Yaris MK4 is in my opinion the best package for a small compact car. I had fiesta and Audi A1; fiesta very good handling, A1 TDI very good car with great mpg. But they were both manuals and not in the same league as the MK4 for auto, hybrid and reliability. The A1 did not handle as well as the MK4, though the one that I had, had smaller tyres at 185mm. 

• Like 4

Indeed, the hybrid makes a completely different league, only bev can compete, but the range is an issue so win win for Toyota. Those 100mpg 😊👌

• Like 4

I've been getting some mixed results. On very short trips (~3 miles/10 minutes) I've got from anywhere between 45 MPG and 98 MPG.

The other night on said short trip, the coolant temp never got above 2 bars. 😳

On longer trips though, she's much more consistent at 70-80 MPG.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

I've been getting some mixed results. On very short trips (~3 miles/10 minutes) I've got from anywhere between 45 MPG and 98 MPG.

The other night on said short trip, the coolant temp never got above 2 bars. 😳

On longer trips though, she's much more consistent at 70-80 MPG.

I mean I don't count short trips. I've had 150mpg on a 5min trip as well, but obviously it doesn't count because it will even out with a 40-50 ish later. I look at averages, the 100mpg I posted it's not an average and it was up to 40mph.

My average is 72-75, city only 85. 

What do you mean coolant did not go above 2 bars? Shouldn't it be in the middle?

• Like 1

Of course these are well more optimistic than real world but for Yaris 70-75mpg average real world are easily achieved. 
The real average fuel consumption is best to be recorded over a half or full tank of petrol and in different driving conditions, full to full on first click at the pump and compare to the dashboard readings. My car is most of the times dead in accurate 60mpg summer and 50mpg winter +/- 3mpg 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Of course these are well more optimistic than real world but for Yaris 70-75mpg average real world are easily achieved. 
The real average fuel consumption is best to be recorded over a half or full tank of petrol and in different driving conditions, full to full on first click at the pump and compare to the dashboard readings. My car is most of the times dead in accurate 60mpg summer and 50mpg winter +/- 3mpg 

Are you not in eco mode? I do drive smoothly and annoyingly slow, not gonna lie so perhaps that's why I'm getting 70+ and I'm talking full tank to almost empty, I've tested it so not talking outta my *****. Actually never mind you did mention the 70 average, okay okay 👍

2 hours ago, Serban said:

Are you not in eco mode? I do drive smoothly and annoyingly slow, not gonna lie so perhaps that's why I'm getting 70+ and I'm talking full tank to almost empty, I've tested it so not talking outta my *****. Actually never mind you did mention the 70 average, okay okay 👍

My car is totally different, heavier and with bigger engine, plus it’s very old 🙂

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

My car is totally different, heavier and with bigger engine, plus it’s very old 🙂

Oh sorry I thought you have the same car so it's an Apple to Apple comparison, but it's not, there you go, what car if you don't mind me asking?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Serban said:

Oh sorry I thought you have the same car so it's an apple to apple comparison, but it's not, there you go, what car if you don't mind me asking?

No worries 😉, it’s an old Auris hybrid from 2010. 

• Like 1

I reckon, it'll be worse. They'll be complaining their CO2 levels are going up in their cities next, and maybe NOx and particulates too, as their catalytic converters will struggle even more to get up to operating temperature.

No car is efficient at 20mph, except maybe EVs, and I bet there aren't many of those in Wales as all the hills will murder their range. Even my hybrid looses some efficiency at 20mph if that's all it does, especially on colder days as the engine can't stay in its operating temperature.

On a slight tangent, one thing with the Mk4s share with small turbodieselslike my old Mk1 D4D is they struggle to get the engine to operating temperature if driven really slowly from the off, and like all engines their efficiency is much worse when the engine is cold; This is why short journeys can have a disproportionately bad mpg. When the engine is at 4 bars (half-way) on the temp gauge it's much more efficient than when it's below that.

It's what made me change my driving style to be a bit more 'enthusiastic', as I found if I sacrificed mpg at the beginning of the journey to get the engine hot faster, I would get better overall mpg over the whole journey.

It's the toss-up between having terrible mpg for a short part of the journey then having high mpg for the rest, or having low-medium mpg for the whole journey.

• Like 3

On 9/15/2023 at 7:54 PM, Cyker said:

It's what made me change my driving style to be a bit more 'enthusiastic', as I found if I sacrificed mpg at the beginning of the journey to get the engine hot faster, I would get better overall mpg over the whole journey

I'm rapidly reaching this conclusion with the Gen.4! Not WOT, but certainly top of the green band, at least until it gets warm.

Yes...the temperature bars on that journey didn't get above two bars, and dropped to one bar for a moment with quite moderate cabin temp setting and moderate manual fan.

I've since taken to AUTO mode when wanting some heat, which seems to have helped alleviate the issue.

It probably won't be an issue much longer...we're moving house and will have a nice steep hill climb within a minute. Not sure what impact that would have on a cold engine. As it is, it's into the power band just maintaining 30 MPH.

• Like 2

On 9/15/2023 at 7:12 PM, exim said:

New 20 MPH speed limit in Wales - great for fuel economy?

Best to wait and see perhaps? Many roads around here have exemptions, and the restriction basically applies to urban areas with street lighting. I believe the A55 to Holyhead remains largely at the national limit of 70mph, and the A548 Coast Road, while lit in places, has long stretches at 40 and 50 mph. It's not as if the whole country will slow to a crawl. Incidentally I had a return journey of about twenty miles each way yesterday through Prestatyn to Rhyl, about half urban, three largish octogenarians on board, average speed each way over 21mph, and returning over 81mpg. What's not to like?

• Like 2

My fear is its the thin end of yet another wedge - If nobody kicks up a fuss, you can bet your donkey this'll be rolled out to the rest of the country, then what's next? They lower the carriageway NSLs to 40mph for singles and 50 for motorways with the same arguments?

They'll deny the intention now, but I'm at an all time low of trust in the policymakers at the moment; It wasn't that long ago KHAAAAN said he had no plans to extend the ULEZ to cover greater London, yet here we are.

It's clear the motorist is the whipping boy and cashcow for policymakers right now.

Yaris owners I am getting closer. 😆 

image.thumb.jpeg.f9466ea6b5d32a2af72765b087863a93.jpeg

Just a joke. That was only for the first 16 easy miles, by the end of the night the numbers normalised to more realistic 60mpg, then I pushed more and they went down to 55mpg. 

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just belatedly noticed a video by our welsh Mk4 Yaris owner - It seems the blanket 20mph *is* taking a toll on the mpg!

I had a feeling that would be the case - I find short runs of 20mph can boost my one's mpg as it can run on EV-only for longer, but if I'm doing that speed when the engine is running it actually goes the other way, with the mpg dropping more rapidly than if I'm doing 30+.

• Sad 1

I would tend to disagree with the above video findings as my average mpg has not really changed since the introduction of the limit. It is still showing an average of around 64mpg as was the case prior to the new limit.

As I said in another topic I found setting the speed limiter at 22mph seems to work for me but I realise that not everybody will have the same driving techniques .

• Like 1

I agree with Gwynfor, my average mpg has remained much the same at 70 to 72 measured brim to brim. The lower speed also appears to allow vehicles from side roads to merge more easily. One more point, despite the Police indicating that they will take a pragmatic view for the introductory period, compliance with the reduced speed appears to be almost universal, although I have been overtaken in fine style by learner motorcyclists and the odd low slung vehicle with cocoa tins for exhausts. 'Twas ever thus.

• Like 2

Oh yes, I forgot to say that setting the speed limiter at 22 works very well, and also tailgating isn't quite the challenge it used to be when trying to observe the current speed limits. The primeval urge to get in front of the car in front appears to have reduced, if not disappeared.

• Like 2

A petrol engine has 2 sweet spots in its range.  Typically around 40% power will use least fuel and 60% furthest range and distance.  Hard to translate that to a hybrid but one thing should be clear, prolonged driving at near 20mpg will be the 40% line.  Higher fuel burn and lower distance. 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links