Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

MP3s in folder format not seen in Yaris

Richard CJ

Been meaning to sort this out for years. I had a new shape RAV4 in South Africa, great car. In this vehicle I could show the files/folders on the flash drive (folders named after the Albums or mix of MP3's, see uploaded image). This made it easy to search and play the multitude of Albums collected.

Unfortunately the SA Rav4 was not compatible with European models (long story) so I did not bring it to the UK and bought a Hybrid Yaris from Toyota.

This Yaris does not have the option to show files/folders like my RAV4 did and relies on the data in the MP3, which is not always complete. No order due to this.

Also, my RAV4 showed the artwork on the front screen of all my MP3's (resized to work for RAV4) artwork in the MP3.

So, does anyone know a workaround re the files/folders so they will show in folder order.

Thanks

MP3-files-folders.jpg

Oh god ... mp3 sort order raises it's ugly head again.

Can't help you here though. Rather than a flash drive I have them on my (Android) phone with an app called music Folder Player (available free or paid) and play over bluetooth. That keeps them all in order.

The car does seem to recognise the media and displays track info with pause options, etc. Don't know how that compares with a USB stick though.

Also my car may have a different head unit system than yours - be an idea to post which one you have.

Think South African Toyota multimedia units used to use Toyota's Entune suite which was different to the system in European market models. Now been replaced by the South African version of MyToyota. 

So perhaps the way mp3s were displayed differed between continents ......

4 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

So perhaps the way mp3s were displayed differed between continents ......

MP3 sort orders have been 'interesting' for a long time. It's not a national or Continental issue. It's been several years since I was really involved (basically since finding the Folder Player app) but it's an issue across many systems.

As suggested probably due to the different multimedia systems offered by Toyota in the US, Australia, etc (Entune) and Europe (Touch 2) .......

Do you have Nav ? If not, what is your software version in system information

there is a known issue with album artwork on the touch2

What year was the Rav4 iirc the later ones had the Suzuki stereo

No issue running the standard file structure

Be aware the system is limited to 32gb max, and it does not like some usb3 drives

There is also an issue with Mac and the way it formats FAT32

14 hours ago, Richard CJ said:

Been meaning to sort this out for years. I had a new shape RAV4 in South Africa, great car. In this vehicle I could show the files/folders on the flash drive (folders named after the Albums or mix of MP3's, see uploaded image). This made it easy to search and play the multitude of Albums collected.

Unfortunately the SA Rav4 was not compatible with European models (long story) so I did not bring it to the UK and bought a Hybrid Yaris from Toyota.

This Yaris does not have the option to show files/folders like my RAV4 did and relies on the data in the MP3, which is not always complete. No order due to this.

Also, my RAV4 showed the artwork on the front screen of all my MP3's (resized to work for RAV4) artwork in the MP3.

So, does anyone know a workaround re the files/folders so they will show in folder order.

Thanks

MP3-files-folders.jpg

I have been experimenting with looking at this from a different direction. 
i copied a bunch of mp3 / mp4a to an old iPhone 5s (can be bought here for £30) from a completely unconnected itunes music library on a pc. turned off wifi/bluetooth and it has no sim in it. So effectively an ipod. 
That will give you the indexing you need without the hassle. See pics. 
shows up in the car when plugged into the usb as an ipod. bluetooth would be another way to connect if you are not using that for your phone.

IMG_0058.jpeg

IMG_0056.jpeg

IMG_0057.jpeg

IMG_0059.jpeg

There are indexing, play and shuffle problems with the older firmware on the touch2 - XE3953 is the newest firmware, and it fixes a lot of issues

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

There are indexing, play and shuffle problems with the older firmware on the touch2 - XE3953 is the newest firmware, and it fixes a lot of issues

I had this issue when i put several albums on a USB stick i got round it by using Musicolet on my phone its free and has no annoying adverts, the forward back buttons on the head unit also work.

Musicolet Music Player - Apps on Google Play

The order is probably all over the place because earlier systems just red the files in the order they're on the card, and didnt do any kind of sorting like most computers do.

I don't think there's a way to see the 'real' order of the files on storage devices on modern machines, without using the command line.

My Mk2 and the old XCarlink unit I used in my Mk1 both did this, so if I wanted the files to play in any sort of order I'd have to format the SD card or USB stick and copy them one at a time, waiting for each one to finish before doing the next, in the order I wanted.

Was a PITA so I wrote a script to do it for me, but every time I wanted to add or remove a song I had to wipe the stick, modify the script, and run it again.

One big plus with the Mk4 is that it DOES sort the files, so you can just put the track number in front of the name and they'll play in order.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

One big plus with the Mk4 is that it DOES sort the files, so you can just put the track number in front of the name and they'll play in order

The newer cars have android auto and Apple carplay so *no need to use a USB stick.

*Unless you prefer to play music that way 😉

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links