Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

To change my 57 plate Auris or not?

Welbeck

I have a 57plate Auris TR petrol 1.6 in very good condition indeed for its age. 72k on the clock. 
I have been advised the car will need a new clutch, 2 new tyres, and a new middle / rear section of exhaust at it next MOT in July. Not to mention the cost of the road tax. 
should I trade the car in sooner for a 12 plate Auris TSpirit petrol Hybrid or keep my old girl that I’ve currently got???  It’s prob only worth 2k if that! 
Any help or advice much appreciated. 

Hi, 

the hybrid Auris is much better car to drive than non hybrid versions. 
If the car in question 2012 t spirit hybrid  is a good example then it’s a deal.
If not, you may end up buying a new used car and spending some extra cash on similar things that with age and mileage are unavoidable and needs replacement. Hybrids usually are simplified version of their petrol or diesel siblings and require less maintenance and repairs. Sadly these cars are target for catalytic converter thefts, something to check and secure if you go ahead and buy it. Two important things as maintenance and long term ownership are: hybrid Battery cooling fan cleaning and egr system cleaning. The rest is only regular maintenance. 
Good luck 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for your helpful reply. Really good to know the points you have made. Won’t be looking to change the car until after Xmas. Seems a decent low ish mileage 12/62plate Hybrid Auris are quite rare. Esp in dark metallic blue or red. 😂👍

• Like 1

Hi Mac,

Have you had a quote for the cost of the clutch, two new tyres and a middle exhaust. If not I would get one first to get an idea of cost before I looked at the T spirit. Whilst it is a better car it depends on condition, service history, hybrid Battery etc.

• Like 1

Hi Bper,

yes had a rough quote for the work to be carried by a very good friend who has his own garage. The clutch is going to be the pricey part, and prob not much change from £2000 with all the work and labour. The car I think is only worth £2000 if that.(although it is immaculate)  So I just think should I spend that 2k towards a newer 12 plate T Spirit Hybrid? 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Welbeck said:

Hi Bper,

yes had a rough quote for the work to be carried by a very good friend who has his own garage. The clutch is going to be the pricey part, and prob not much change from £2000 with all the work and labour. The car I think is only worth £2000 if that.(although it is immaculate)  So I just think should I spend that 2k towards a newer 12 plate T Spirit Hybrid? 

I think that has answered your question ,go for the T spirit but check out as much as you can about it. Depending on your budget also have a look at other models you may well get a bargain.😀

• Like 2

It's an old car, there will be more things to come that will need replacing. I was checking out mine, and soon it will start to require more care, so i am already on the lookout for something else. 

It's a shame, it's been a reliable one, except for lack of 6th speed on mine, it's been more or less trouble free.

But slowly the problems are starting to show, bit here, bit there, that ends up being a hefty sum.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Welbeck said:

Hi Bper,

Then might as well spend that towards the hybrid, no clutch ever. 

Edit: Could also look into the Yaris hybrid too, no cat theft worry. 

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, furtula said:

It's an old car, there will be more things to come that will need replacing. I was checking out mine, and soon it will start to require more care, so i am already on the lookout for something else. 

It's a shame, it's been a reliable one, except for lack of 6th speed on mine, it's been more or less trouble free.

But slowly the problems are starting to show, bit here, bit there, that ends up being a hefty sum.

Good point. Will wait until I can find the right 62plate  Hybrid Auris out there on auto trader, then seriously consider saying goodbye to the old 57plate. 

• Like 3

Auto trader is showing some 2016 auris for the same price as 2012 which i think would be a better deal tbh. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links