Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Replacement tyre choice for PHEV

Bill65

1 hour ago, Flatcoat said:

That is not quite what I mean. Side wall stiffness is unlikely to vary much with temperature and is largely down to the tyre construction. You could have a summer tyre from two different brands with much different sidewall flex. I am referring to grip in cold weather which relates to tyre compound and read pattern. 

The compounds used on summer tyres do harden as the temperature drops and is responsible for the poorer winter performance. Especially as you’ve described the traction as the ride quality.

On 10/15/2023 at 10:06 PM, Bill65 said:

25K miles on the OEM Yokohamas and the front traction is getting poor. Within legal limits at front, rears are somewhat better but going to change all four before the weather turns. 

What is the consensus for best replacement tyres, is it still the Michelin Cross Climate 2 and how do they hold up during the summer?

I was in exactly the same boat, legal limit on front but over 5mm on rears at 24K. I decided to change all 4 which I did a couple of weeks ago. I had planned to change the tyres out as soon as I got the car 2 years ago based on bad experiences I had with Yokohamas in the past but to be fair I didn’t think the Avid’s were that bad on the RAV - provided you didn’t push them very hard

I don’t need heavy duty winter performance but I did want strong wet weather performance so I went for the Goodyear Efficient Grip 2 SUV. Excellent tyres all round particularly in the wet and good ride quality as well. I also now have lateral grip which was sorely lacking on the Avid’s.

Quite reasonable as well at less than £530 for 4 fully fitted

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Phil E said:

I was in exactly the same boat, legal limit on front but over 5mm on rears at 24K.

I have to ask...

Why did you not rotate the tyres F<->R before you got to this point so that the wear was even across all 4?

14 hours ago, Phil E said:

I was in exactly the same boat, legal limit on front but over 5mm on rears at 24K. I decided to change all 4 which I did a couple of weeks ago. I had planned to change the tyres out as soon as I got the car 2 years ago based on bad experiences I had with Yokohamas in the past but to be fair I didn’t think the Avid’s were that bad on the RAV - provided you didn’t push them very hard

I don’t need heavy duty winter performance but I did want strong wet weather performance so I went for the Goodyear Efficient Grip 2 SUV. Excellent tyres all round particularly in the wet and good ride quality as well. I also now have lateral grip which was sorely lacking on the Avid’s.

Quite reasonable as well at less than £530 for 4 fully fitted

These are the best summer tyres and when brand new and set at correct pressures they can cope with some dry snow and ice as good as all season tyres, tested personally last winter, and I couldn’t believe how good they were, we are talking about summer tyres. Comfortable and ultra long lasting. Last set replaced at 60k miles, this current one won’t last as long as I drive them all year around and summer tyres used during winter tend to have shorter in comparison to those used during summer season only. 👍

From my own experiences I agree the Efficient Grips are a very good tyre and if you don’t need winter specific tyres, a good all round tyre. They used to be used by police forces - may still be. 

• Like 1

If any help, Costco are doing the offer on Goodyear tyres - £120 off four 19 tyres.

• Like 2

When it comes to choosing tyres, when it comes to other companies I would recommend looking at :
- Yokohama BluEarth Winter V905. 5,4.
- Bridgestone Blizzak LM005. 5,6.
- Firestone Winterhawk 4. 5,4.
- Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 SUV. 5,7.
- Firemax FM806.
- Zeetex WH1000 SUV. 5,1.

Of course, there are many important considerations that we should always take into account when choosing them, but this is probably already well known to most. 

^^^^ They may not all be available in the UK and are fine for pure winter tyres. Given we don’t often get extreme winter weather I regard all season tyres an acceptable option. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links