Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine and infotainment

edinburgh_lad

Greetings

Looking for some advice. I had to sit in my Toyota Yaris 1.5 (18 reg plate; 21k milage) for about 45 min, and while I sat in it, I had my Dashcam on (plugged into the cigarette socket, blower (on number 1), and the radio on. In retrospect, I should have maybe switched some off. After this time, I tried to turn the engine on, but it'd not start (it's been very wet and miserable in Edinburgh today). It was as if the engine moved a bit, but nothing else.

At the same time, my dash cam switched itself off (despite there being power going from the cigarette socket) and I got a different infotainment screen on: it was whitish with, if I remember well, a Toyota symbol in the top left quarter of the screen, a big whitish square in the bottom half of the screen, and there was a black progress bar in the middle of it. Once the screen loaded, it was back to its usual blue screen, but with FM radio on, instead of digital, as if something had reset itself.

I tried starting the engine, but nothing. Then, I took the key from the ignition, locked and unlocked the car, and tried starting it again. This time, I was successful, though still with a bit of difficulty. Drove home and switched off the engine, then back on and off and everything was ok. Any advice what this is about and what would cause all this? Thank you for any help in advance. 

6 minutes ago, edinburgh_lad said:

Any advice what this is about and what would cause all this? Thank you for any help in advance.

You drained the Battery to a point where it hadn't got enough oomph to start the engine, but in trying to do so the voltage dropped way down. That made your Dashcam think (correctly) the voltage was low and also caused the infotainment (and likely some other control units) to reset.

Batteries do recover a bit, so by the time you made your last attempt it was just able to get the engine going. You were very lucky I think.

Given the age of the car the Battery may have suffered during lockdowns - it's very common - so you should probably be thinking about replacing it, especially with the worst of winter ahead. Depends how reliable you need the car to be on a frosty morning and how lucky you feel 😄

Thank you, Mike! This is very helpful info. Do you think I've damaged the Battery?  Or anything else? 

I Just plug a smart charger onto the 12 volt Battery as you just pulled its voltage down to far.

Next time you waiting in the car have it in ready mode not accessory only mode this kills batterys.

Just now, Derek.w said:

Next time you waiting in the car have it in ready mode

Not a hybrid, as far as I can tell.

3 minutes ago, edinburgh_lad said:

Do you think I've damaged the battery?  Or anything else?

I added a bit to my post while you were posting.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links