Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Will only start after a bump start

MyIq

Had car for 4 trouble free years with 100k on the clock. Its never missed a beat, until today.....Drove to local shop ok parked up, now it wont turn over only a faint clicking noise and a pump running sound, pushed clutch in and out a few times as a few posts mention this, also Battery seems ok. PS it bump started instantly. Any ideas would a starter motor just collapse with no prior warning

13 minutes ago, MyIq said:

Had car for 4 trouble free years with 100k on the clock. Its never missed a beat, until today.....Drove to local shop ok parked up, now it wont turn over only a faint clicking noise and a pump running sound, pushed clutch in and out a few times as a few posts mention this, also battery seems ok. PS it bump started instantly. Any ideas would a starter motor just collapse with no prior warning

Sounds like your Battery has failed,try a jumpstart ,if it starts then you know it will be the Battery.

• Like 1

Hi there,

My first inclination as we've got the start of the colder damp weather is the Battery is suspect, if it's the original it's well past it's best now. Batteries have a horrible habit of seemingly being ok and then suddenly they just fail. I know this from last winter when I got stranded at 11pm on Saturday night away from home, had to get the AA out who had a brand new Battery onboard to get me going again, cost a lot more than Halfords but I was in a bind.

Easy test for a low Battery is switch the headlights, ideally when it's dark, and then try to start the car if the lights dim right down or go off when you try then the battery needs replacing. You may get a bit longer out of it by charging it overnight.

Doubt that a starter motor would just fail suddenly without any previous signs.

• Like 1

A few reasons why this may happen. have a read through this link for possible causes, You say the Battery is OK so Its possibly the starter motor has packed up but normally you get issues with starting before this happens. Yes they can just fail but unusual . Check out this list.

https://www.wheelsjoint.com/toyota-iq-makes-clicking-noise-and-wont-start/

How do you know the Battery is ‘OK’?  The available amperage may not be enough as they do decline with use/age.  I have a history of being let down starting many cars and invariably the problem is resolved with a replacement Battery. Whilst not the smallest of batteries (in the iQ) the dark nights and electrical load is much greater in winter. Something like the Nico GB20 Boost Sport is a great standby device to carry with you - no bump starts required!

• Like 2

Likely issue is the Battery. It's a 12+ year old car, maybe even be on its 2nd Battery now. 

Some are just a bit unfortunate with Battery. Never had an issue myself with all old cars I've owned. Kept 2 cars longest were 5 years each. A corolla and a Yaris. 

Turning on lights and turning key did not make no difference to the lights

If you try starting whats the voltage when the starter motor turns over the engine or is this not happining?.

If its not turning over the then check wiring first for corosion next voltage to starter motor then motor itself worn contactor or carbon brushes are two items to check.

Voltage does not say to much, it’s the cranking amps an older Battery won’t provide.

It's the starter as it bump starts, its not a Battery issue

worn brushes or solenoid, if the starter lands in a bad spot on the com, the motor may not turn

• Like 2

Lol, BUMP start, fir some reason I did read JUMP start…..

Quick update, tried a jump pack and an error message came up on the jump pack, not sure of its the  jump pack as its quite old. Waiting to borrow some jump leads in the mean time charging up the Battery just in case. If its the starter would it not gradually pack up rather than instantly, also if you rock the car in gear would this not move the starter motor on to a different place. 

You can try moving it in gear that can work if its the commutator with windings burnt out another tell tail sine is a ring of fire around the commutator.

Worn brushes this will still not start as no current flowing through the armature but it will have Battery voltage at the brushes with no volts drop.

1 hour ago, MyIq said:

Quick update, tried a jump pack and an error message came up on the jump pack, not sure of its the  jump pack as its quite old. Waiting to borrow some jump leads in the mean time charging up the battery just in case. If its the starter would it not gradually pack up rather than instantly, also if you rock the car in gear would this not move the starter motor on to a different place. 

No, it wouldn't move the starter as it is not engaged, there's an outside chance it's the alternator - pop the belt off and see if it will start

A bit of percussive maintenance required, tap the starter with a lump of wood, it's worth cleaning the Battery terminals too

Thanks for the advice, is the starter motor easily accessible from the top have had a quick look in poor light and couldn't locate it.

5 hours ago, MyIq said:
5 hours ago, MyIq said:

Thanks for the advice, is the starter motor easily accessible from the top have had a quick look in poor light and couldn't locate it.

5 hours ago, MyIq said:

Jump start it from another car battery it needs big amps ..My battery died in june with the same symptoms,theres nothing to loose!!!!!.

• Like 1

Serious, try that Battery first. All the symptoms point to a Battery low on cranking amps, if it turns out not to be a bad Battery, start looking for more difficult solutions. 
Always start with the simple stuff.

• Like 3

As far as I'm aware op has already done the basics

starter is located rear of the gearbox towards the top

Tis the season for duff batteries and iffy starters

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links