Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Insurance

Barkley

As I needed a new policy I used a bunch of quote consolidator sites to offer insurance.  Now, I’m aware insurance costs are going up - even more for EV drivers it seems, but I had budgeted for around £400pa based on my personal variables.  What struck me was the bulk ranged from £500-£1300 with varying levels of cover.  Guess who was the most expensive?  Toyota Insurance… with an eye-watering annual price that was almost 25% of the price I paid for the iQ! (No licence points, 0% NCD as it’s being used elsewhere).  

As the iQ is for local journeys I came across ‘By Miles’ from UK Insurance which quoted just under £500 for 2k miles per year which is ideal. It uses an OBD2 dongle to monitor distance and if you use less you get a rebate on unused mileage. And charged per mile if you go over your limit.  I’m aware that boy races got these to keep costs down, but I didn’t realise old codgers could benefit too.  If I didn’t do any miles, the rebate would reduce the policy to £136!

Of course, all this is dynamic and pricing changes, but with Toyota being the most expensive, Adrian Flux - the club’s insurance provider shy of £900, this is a pretty good option!

• Like 3

I sometimes joke Toyota Insurance have their algorithm backwards, as I have actually used them before - Everyone else was giving me stupid quotes, and as I was running out of people to try, I tried them and they were the cheapest! :eek: 

When everyone else went back to sane pricing a couple years later, theirs shot up by 4x back to their usual levels of hilariously high quotage :laugh: 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Barkley said:

As I needed a new policy I used a bunch of quote consolidator sites to offer insurance.  Now, I’m aware insurance costs are going up - even more for EV drivers it seems, but I had budgeted for around £400pa based on my personal variables.  What struck me was the bulk ranged from £500-£1300 with varying levels of cover.  Guess who was the most expensive?  Toyota Insurance… with an eye-watering annual price that was almost 25% of the price I paid for the iQ! (No licence points, 0% NCD as it’s being used elsewhere).  

As the iQ is for local journeys I came across ‘By Miles’ from UK Insurance which quoted just under £500 for 2k miles per year which is ideal. It uses an OBD2 dongle to monitor distance and if you use less you get a rebate on unused mileage. And charged per mile if you go over your limit.  I’m aware that boy races got these to keep costs down, but I didn’t realise old codgers could benefit too.  If I didn’t do any miles, the rebate would reduce the policy to £136!

Of course, all this is dynamic and pricing changes, but with Toyota being the most expensive, Adrian Flux - the club’s insurance provider shy of £900, this is a pretty good option!

Insurance can be fickle due to area, experience, claims history HOWEVER they all sound too much; the pay per mile quote you've got is very high for just 2k miles 😳

Some Brokers can match an existing NCB as an introductory offer; keep looking...

Just now, Touring_Dave said:

Insurance can be fickle due to area, experience, claims history HOWEVER they all sound too much; the pay per mile quote you've got is very high for just 2k miles 😳

Some Brokers can match an existing NCB as an introductory offer; keep looking...

Have a look at Hastings Direct 

46 minutes ago, Touring_Dave said:

Have a look at Hastings Direct

I have history with them (and disliked elements of the way they did business and treated me as a customer). The trouble with any insurance is it’s a moving target of quotes and a different firm, on a different day will have a different price, you might be lucky you might not - it’s a game. Times I’ve overpaid, others the opposite but never claimed in 40 years.  It’s a necessary evil, because if you don’t you’ll be immobile!

• Like 4

i read somewhere that 16 days before renewal date is the sweet spot for quotes.

Well, we could combine our posts and say the best time is between 16 and 26 days. 🙂

• Like 1

Yes, I saw that - in my case I knew I wanted an iQ but not The VRM. Once bought, the dealer wanted his money and me the car to drive away - at best I has 3 days notice.  
At least the renewal should be easier/cheaper!

2 hours ago, Barkley said:

Yes, I saw that - in my case I knew I wanted an iQ but not The VRM. Once bought, the dealer wanted his money and me the car to drive away - at best I has 3 days notice.  
At least the renewal should be easier/cheaper!

As far as 'easier insurance renewal' is concerned, would you consent to all your current car insurance details being kept on a national database, accessible by any potential insurer? That could make renewal easier, but i'm not sure I'd like that level of personal information to be that freely accessible. (it probably is already!!!!)

Moved to Insurance Discussions.

Register with Pistonheads and use their insurance quote retreiver (uses quotezone.co.uk). Covers around 110 insurance companies. I found this easier to deal with than many other comparison sites and I don't get hassled with tons of marketing emails afterwards.

• Thanks 1

IMO with the amount of information that you are required to submit on the quote forms storing this information on a national database is no more personal information then you will have supplied over the years to various companies.

It would save a great deal of time when it comes to insurance renewal instead of constant form filling on comparison sites. This wouldn't be such a bad idea to do the same with contents and building insurance.

If any material facts changed the form could allow a tick box for yes or no.:smile:

Hi.

If anyone ever needs any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

What are your contact details Dan? Or did you just mean via the normal AF numbers?

Sadly, my quote turned out to be rather expensive (in fact double) of the one I eventually went for.  Clearly you are limited to what your panel offers, but as a previous customer with no claims it was a shame I wasn’t wanted!   What did annoy me was at the end of the process it was suggested I be transferred to an associated company of AF, but no number could be provided - it had to be an internal transfer, not only that I would have to have spent another 25 minutes repeating the same information to someone else in the hope of a better deal.  My replacement firm was more equitable and no need for a ‘club discount’. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links