Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Putting iQ Remote Key in Sleep Mode

Barkley

There are a few YT videos suggesting you can force your spare remote key to save Battery power, simply by holding down the top button whilst quickly pressing the button below twice.  The led should flash twice X2 and go to sleep.  Try as I might, I cannot get this to do anything useful?  3 videos (all from the US) show this in action - but I wondered if this is a country/market specific hack or perhaps not applicable for the iQ.

is it? 🤠

The keys shown looked identical as used on the iQ, (but) the tiny red light to show it operating is on the top left in the YT video whereas mine has it on the top right.

10 hours ago, Barkley said:

The keys shown looked identical as used on the iQ, (but) the tiny red light to show it operating is on the top left in the YT video whereas mine has it on the top right.

That American guy's key is different to mine, in that it has a red personal alarm button at the bottom - mine doesn't, does yours? See this screen grab from the video...

image.thumb.png.e005ab20cf6dd5e87dbfe22014f0e23a.png

(his red light's on the right)

There are similar differences between UK and USA with the keys for my other (Nissan) car. American owners have more key functions than we do.

There are others identical - this was the first link I got.  His claim it worked on ‘all Toyotas’ also got me.  The red button is standard on all US keys, I think it is mandated there - but plays no part in the sleep mode.

I always wondered why most US car remotes have a horn+flash button until I went over there for the first time - It turns out it's quite helpful when trying to find your car in a sea of identical cars in a 'car park' that takes over half an hour to walk from one side to the other :laugh: 

My one has this function but TBH it only makes sense on keyless entry fobs, which are always listening/pinging; For normal remotes the radio only fires when you press one of the buttons so they're effectively asleep anyway when not in use.

If you have a keyless entry fob, you can always try it by holding lock and pressing unlock twice - If it works, the LED will blink 4 (I think) times. If, however, the car unlocks when you do the press unlock twice bit, and the LED does its normal unlock-blink pattern, then it probably hasn't worked...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links