Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Nextbase front and rear cameras

AndyRC

Has anyone experience with the dealer fitted Nextbase front and rear cameras? Being offered for £399 fitted on new C-HR , I know the front one is very small and discreet , how good is picture quality etc , any info much appreciated. 

4 minutes ago, Moleman said:

Picture quality very good. Can only be viewed off the system.

Thanks for the info , is there a phone app for this? 

1 hour ago, AndyRC said:

Thanks for the info , is there a phone app for this? 

We have the Nextbase front and rear cameras for the past 3 + years we fitted them to both our cars ourselves simple job, and yes there is a app

• Like 1

My dealer offered 299 for front and back fitted, don't know the spec as I declined. Can do it myself, better and cost less. 

• Like 1

I let my dealer supply and fit.

They set the rear camera dead centre in the swept area.  I guess, in time, my brain would have blanked it out.

The Next base recommendation is it should be in the swept area which is logical,  but you should be able to mount it low down and masked by a rear seat headrest. 

As they had already fitted it the cable restricted the location.  I have mine now high up,  near side, and under the rear overhang.   It does get dirty but not usually sufficient to prevent a cam working.

I suggest you sit in a car and get someone outside to mark a spot outside your sight line.

30 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

Can do it myself, better

What I said above applies to the second car.  Their fitting on the Corolla had them puncturing the cable sheath. 😞

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I had the dealer fit a Nextbase 322GW to my C-HR. It has a rear facing camera, attached to the main unit, rather than the separate rear camera fitted to the tailgate. The main camera was fitted to the left of the centre rear view mirror console.

The picture quality is good, and I can read a number plate of both oncoming cars and any car that overtakes. The night footage is also of a good quality.

A few things to note:

1). The rear facing camera is obscured when the sun visor is lowered and records the back of the sun visor. When the sun visor is up, it is great.

2). My front camera was mounted outside of the wiper swept area. If the windscreen is dirty, or if it rains, the filmed image is not clear. I see this as an issue as I am more likely to need the camera footage in the rain (following an accident). I have since moved the camera slightly (had to buy a new mount, but at £4.99, it was worth it).

The 322GW has an option to link a phone/app. I haven't done this with mine. When I want to view footage, I do this via my PC. or the camera itself. I don't see the point of having an app on my phone which I have no intention of using. I have attached an image to show video quality,

2023-05-14_1402.MP4_1607.jpg

• Like 2

The front mounted rear view has a purpose but viewing a car or truck following is probably not one.

I had an excellent  Chinese cam with a 170 degree coverage.   It showed the steering wheel,  gear stick etc and could prove you had hands on the controls and not a phone etc.

Agree about the App.

19 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

The front mounted rear view has a purpose but viewing a car or truck following is probably not one.

Quite true

I have attached an image of what my rear camera records. I have blurred out my face as I don't want anyone to get jealous once they see how good looking I am, and sorry ladies, I'm married 😁

2023-09-06_0740_RH.MP4.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Personally I don't like the rear cam attached to the front. Just doesn't do a proper job. Can understand it's one installed at the front and easier instead of routing cable and labour for a rear window attachment. For taxi drivers then yes. 

When one can self fit it's cheaper and better cams. Can get front&back 2k, or front 4k, rear 1080p, cheaper than 299. Of course the dealer are there to make a profit as well as labour charge. 

39 minutes ago, Big_D said:

Quite true

I have attached an image of what my rear camera records. I have blurred out my face as I don't want anyone to get jealous once they see how good looking I am, and sorry ladies, I'm married 😁

Isn't the rear camera supposed to be mounted on the rear window to record the drivers behind you?

We have a 422GW with a wire rear camera, we purchased it from Halfords when it was on offer and came with the Stoplock wheel lock £149.00, wiring was a doodle but took about an hour to push back some trims and rubbers to hide all the wiring only fiddly bit is threading the wiring through the rear hatch flexible grommet.

1 minute ago, Paul john said:

Isn't the rear camera supposed to be mounted on the rear window to record the drivers behind you?

Nextbase offers three different types of rear camera

One is mounted to the rear tailgate (not the one I have)

One faces rear and records the inside of the cabin (apparently great for taxis)

And the one I have which is a combination of an external rear camera and cabin camera

This is the page from their website

https://nextbase.com/modules/

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Big_D said:

Quite true

That looks to me to be more like the “cabin view “ camera …

IMG_0611.png

Now that I look at is, I think you are right. I have the cabin view camera. It does record what is outside the vehicle, but not too well (as you can see)

I must admit that I have never been overly impressed with it and have been looking to replace it with a tailgate mounted unit. I have a spare Nextbase 412GW. Maybe I should use this in the back.

In the summer a stupid drive rolled into the back of my vehicles towbar when i was stationary at some traffic lights she had a young baby in the car and was messing with her phone, my window rear mounted camera recorded everything.

She covered her face when I approached the car would not give any details, but kept saying sorry. I reported it to my insurance company just in case, they asked if I have Dashcam footage and sent a link to uploaded it to their files. Hopeful she informed her insurance company otherwise she is in for a big surprise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

54 minutes ago, Big_D said:

Nextbase offers three different types of rear camera

One is mounted to the rear tailgate (not the one I have)

One faces rear and records the inside of the cabin (apparently great for taxis)

And the one I have which is a combination of an external rear camera and cabin camera

This is the page from their website

https://nextbase.com/modules/

This is the sort of rear view camera I’d be after , looks very discreet and unobtrusive. The front cameras my local dealer , JRT Hull, fit are also small and go in front of the rear view mirror and are hard to notice. 

IMG_1692.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyRC said:

looks very discreet and unobtrusive.

Actually I would like mine to have a flashing red light - smile you're on camera 

• Haha 1

• 6 months later...

@AndyRC they are quite discrete

Here are some photos of the same cameras fitted to my C-HR and the wife's Yaris

Img_1382.jpg

Img_1383.jpg

Img_1384.jpg

On 6/13/2024 at 5:10 PM, Big_D said:

@AndyRC they are quite discrete

Here are some photos of the same cameras fitted to my C-HR and the wife's Yaris

Img_1382.jpg

Img_1383.jpg

Img_1384.jpg

Very neat looking , do they automatically download to a phone App ? 

I believe this can be done. However, as I'll never use this feature, I haven't linked them to my phone. 

I have the Nextbase 622GW in my C-HR and a Nextbase 522GW in the wife's Yaris.

The footage from the rear cameras is saved to the memory card of the main forward facing cameras

Here is some information off the Nextbase site, which will probably explain it better than I could

https://nextbase.co.uk/dash-cams/622gw-dash-cam/

https://nextbase.co.uk/dash-cams/522gw-dash-cam

https://nextbase.co.uk/modules/rear-window-camera/

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links