Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Previa Juddering When Braking

P11GT

After spending a few of hundred quid on new front discs, pads, and even the caliper, i cant seem to get rid of the juddering that coming from the front i believe. Ive recently have also fitted new dampers and spring, but the problem was there before and after.

The juddering is very similar to warped discs, which is why i went to the extremes above, you can feel it thru the brake pedal at low speed, but worse at high speeds. Can anyone suggest anything else i need to check or replace? 1990 TRC11 no ABS

this may sound daft and iam not taking the *****, but have you changed or looked at the rear discs cus i had the same problem and changed everything but the same juddering still occoured. i took the rear discs off and found a very very small flaw on one of them, changed the disc and hey nice and smooth when breaking and it only took 10 mins to replace the disc.

And like you i thought it was the front all the time

have fun

mike

yeah, that idea was put to me also, so you could certainly be right. ive tried breaking with the handbrake and noticed no juddering either from the handbrake or the car as im coasting which make me think otherwise, but it something thats gonna be checked out next.

another thing ive noticed, the juddering also comes with a slight suspension knock, when i go over bumps, and its most noticable from the right front wheel, this leads me to think that it could be either the ball joint or tie rod end causing the wheel to have latteral movement, so under breaking, the front could actually be moving back and forth giving the juddering.

any thoughts?

Hello!

I have an imported Lucida which also has brake judder - I have also just replaced the front discs and pads - the garage tell me that one of the old discs was warped slightly - but I still have the brake judder! It seems slightly better but I think I may still have a problem with the rear discs or suspension.

I also have suspension knock from the front which I can mainly feel through the pedals. The anti-roll bar is mounted just behind pedals so the vibration is being transmitted through it - I have yet to find where the free play is - whether it is the bushing on the anti-roll bar or one of the ball joints. If I find out what it is I will let you know.

Good luck with your problem - let me know if you solve it first!

Jon

You could check the front wheel bearings to ensure they are tensioned properly.........other than that it is possible to get judder from new discs if they are not 100% flush on the carrier....ie if a bit of crud has got trapped behind the disc as they are being put on.......whip them off to double check they are mounted flushly or use a dial indicator to confirm their trueness

• 2 weeks later...

:D Hello

I had my Lucida put on a rolling road after two mechanics thought it was still the front discs giving the problem (even though it had new discs fitted) and they found that it was one of the rear discs all along. I now have new discs fitted on the back (in which there is a drum brake in the centre) and the problem is now gone!! It is amazing how much better it feels! :D

I still have the knocking from the suspension to solve though! But I can live with that for a while

most problems with brakes on the front of any vehicle is usually felt through the steering wheel , no steering wheel judder tends to point to the rears. :thumbsup:

Using the handbrake may not rule out the possibility that it's the disks at the rear. Somewhere in my memory I believe the handbrake is a drum inside the back disk. Could Lucida Jon 2 confirm?

Ed.

• 3 weeks later...

just to let you know, it was the rear discs afterall! the handbrake does work on shoes inside the rear discs. I can now brake safetly at speed :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links