Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris Mk2 - headunit upgrade checklist

secretivemonorail

Hi,

I have a 2016 Mk2 Auris hybrid (Excel).

I've been reading through numerous threads on this forum for what is needed for a head unit upgrade. From what I have gathered so far, I only need:

- This kit: https://connects2.com/Product/ProductItem/CTKTY08 (CTKTY08) - which includes the essentials, including the steering wheel control functionality

- Reverse camera retention lead: https://caraudiocentre.co.uk/products/connects2-cam-ty5-rt (CAM-TY05-RT)

- A double din headunit: https://caraudiocentre.co.uk/collections/pioneer-carplay-android-auto/products/pioneer-sph-da360dab (Pioneer SPH-DA360DAB)

Assuming that the above is all I need, does anyone have any recommendations for the headunit? My budget is £400 tops.

Thanks in advance!

Hello, you have another solution, if your radio is the Touch2, which is to add a box, just connect the cables and it's ready to work.
-Android Auto, Car play, mirror link....
I did this and I am satisfied.

The box is:

https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/1005005934093721.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.146.715dcaa4IJEYKh&gatewayAdapt=glo2bra

• Like 3

You get what you pay for, No name Chinese tat, no support, no warrantee, very little in the way of instructions, old audio technology and questionable buggy version of android

Pioneer is a good choice, shop around for deals, budget wise drop down a model or 2, a DA230DAB or DA250DAB will bring you in budget, but you do lose the wifi

A quick look Halfords of all places has the DA360DAB @ £370

Camera adapter saves you about £17 over your link

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401537647747

CTKTY08 the fascia supplied is 2012-2016

2015-2019 uses a different fascia (touch2 with the all glass touch screen - no buttons)

https://connects2.com/Product/ProductItem/CT23TY75

• Like 2

Thanks both!

@flash22: do you know what energy data is missing if a 3rd party unit is installed? I'm only interested in seeing the MPG per trip data, the rest I think I can see from the display in the instrument cluster.

Thanks @flash22

I've ordered the DA360DAB head unit and CT23TY75 - I noticed that this doesn't include the wiring, but I got in touch with the vendor and got that sorted out along with the camera adapter.

One last thing, will the existing DAB connector fit as is on the head unit, or do I need some sort of adapter? Any ideas?

i take you have/had a touch2 this uses a black connector that is Toyota specific - It's an SMB connector in a plastic housing, pop the white locking tab out hold the little catch out the way and remove the housing

gps.thumb.jpg.2b115121f4ba139f8769c0d2cfd835f8.jpg

GPS is the same type, just keyed differently

• Like 1

Yep, I have a Touch2:

image.thumb.png.f0ec147b7dd57b2864138283cbd72ba5.png

Unless I'm missing something obvious the CTKTY08 fascia does not fit the Pioneer DA360DAB. The fascia is a few mm too small, or the head unit is too big. What am I missing?

image.thumb.png.42bcb02e3614ae0a91a9e3c08176376a.png

Looks like you have it too far to the left

Edit. Not sure on this model, but some have a removable bezel

It looks like that due to poor lighting, but there's a bezel/lip on the unit (attached) which one end of the fascia ends up resting on.

The unit is about 17.8cm~ and the hole in the fascia is 17.5cm side to side 😕

image.thumb.png.71626d7bd7455e3d9041c5742d76c4c2.png

Double din is 178mm, will the radio go through the fascia ? Is it a proper connects2 item (should have come in a connects2 sealed bag)

@flash22 it doesn't go through at all. I think I could unscrew the display from the unit and get the display through the fascia side ways but that seems too much work for something that should slide in.

Is it a proper connects2 item (should have come in a connects2 sealed bag)

It should be a connects2 item, but the packaging suggests it isn't. I ordered this exact product: https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/ct23ty75-toyota-corolla-2017-gloss-black-car-stereo-double-din-fascia-fitting-kit.html?search=CT23TY75

And the package I have is this. The CT23TY75 label is stuck on.

image.thumb.png.cd6b85d9c28ec9ad8fa1c39ed4925ce4.png

Metra is a US company so not sure what that will be listed for, so they must use it as equivalent to the connects2 item

I will have to do a bit of digging

try rotating it 180º so the thin edge is at the bottom

• Like 1

I've been in contact with Dynamic Sounds, and they've said that connects2 uses Metra for parts and labels them with their own part number. The other bits and bobs I've received are in connects2 packaging.

Anyhow, apparently, the fascia isn't supposed to be flush with the display and is supposed to fit like the following, with the fascia instead sitting on top of the display and screwed into the supplied side brackets. Doesn't look that nice if you ask me, but apparently, that's how it's supposed to be. The gaps are expected because the DAB360 has "extra slim" bezels that don't protrude into the fascia.

image.thumb.png.e4db2a4e7dc2ad5d5c1b00893c3d1907.png

image.thumb.png.c90fa61de9381466732783622ba31e67.png

That is not clearly not right !!! Does the pioneer outer bezel make it fit any better ?

CT23TY106

It doesn't fit at all with the outer bezel - you can't screw the brackets to the fascia.

@flash22 I just noticed you included "CT23TY106" in your post. Ironically, I was looking at this particular fascia. Is this the one I should have bought then? It's confusing when the years overlap. Apparently CT23TY106 is for Auris 2014-2018. My car is a 2016.

The one I'm trying to fit and have previously attached pictures of is the CT23TY75 https://connects2.com/Product/ProductItem/CT23TY75 (I note I incorrectly mentioned CTKTY08 yesterday).

This is my OEM head unit, which I believe is a Touch2, and the shape of car.

image.png.e3179b6b8f10f28e0162ac74bc56599a.png

image.thumb.png.282aae50b8766f392890ea1a637eb834.png

• Like 1

CT23TY75 is clearly not correct even tho it's listed as for the E180 and strangely listed for E210, but if you look at the Metra Catalogue it lists it for the 15 up Sienna and 17-19 corolla (US spec) 99-8250 and 95-8262HG, oddly incartec list the same part under their own number for the auris

I have come across this a few times, the later Avensis can be a pain too

• Like 1

4 hours ago, secretivemonorail said:

image.thumb.png.e4db2a4e7dc2ad5d5c1b00893c3d1907.png

Hi ! 

Try to find an adapter frame like this :

Screenshot_20231127-1749072.thumb.png.1ff575b0ab3e16c777e1c4c28fa24d7f.png

it will fill the gap between the player and frame.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, flash22 said:

CT23TY75 is clearly not correct even tho it's listed as for the E180 and strangely listed for E210, but if you look at the Metra Catalogue it lists it for the 15 up Sienna and 17-19 corolla (US spec) 99-8250 and 95-8262HG, oddly incartec list the same part under their own number for the auris

I have come across this a few times, the later Avensis can be a pain too

Yep, I see it. What a mess. I'll check out the CT23TY106 fascia when I have it and report back. 

1 hour ago, tavy said:

Hi ! 

Try to find an adapter frame like this :

Screenshot_20231127-1749072.thumb.png.1ff575b0ab3e16c777e1c4c28fa24d7f.png

it will fill the gap between the player and frame.

I'll try it out as a last resort if the CT23TY106 doesn't fit - thanks for the suggestion! 

• Like 1

I’m glad to confirm the CT23TY106 fascia fits the headunit perfectly. Not getting my hopes up until the thing is installed in the car but some positive news, at last!

• 3 months later...

Finally getting around to setting this up a few months later.

There are so many wires....😅

1) Can you please confirm if the picture below shows how the camera retention lead (for the reverse camera) and steering wheel controls should be wired up? Looks a bit too straightforward based on what I've read in other threads...

image.thumb.png.f9a137ded903d12dfc0f204b3dd4e512.png

2) Can I use the DAB and GPS antenna wires supplied with the head unit?

I have the Touch2 on the E180 (2016):

image.png.fbe2a7d2c535fb3fd5454ab090039f15.png

Hey @flash22

I've been reading around again and think my last post is wrong.

I have the CTSTY015.2, which has the camera retention, but it doesn't look like the CAM-TY2-RT like for like because it has separate red and black wires (https://www.connects2downloads.co.uk/C2/files/InstallationGuides/CAM-TY2-RT.pdf).

I think I can cut the red wire from the retention cable and connect it to PIN 2 of the 28 pin connector in the car and likewise with the purple wire coming out from the Pioneer.

The black wire can go to any ground and the brown wire stays as it is. 

Does that sound right?

Appreciate your help!

image.thumb.png.014c823867d4fe9c793c24ec8c181b75.pngimage.thumb.png.a4ada88eb3ecabf8f2a0c4b529aeabe7.png

Got everything wired up correctly and have included instructions below in case anyone else gets stuck.

Firstly, I'm relatively confident the Pioneer DAB360 does not fit any double din fascia on the Auris Hybrid MK2 (E180). There might be one out there, who knows, but I won't be trial and erroring anymore 🙂

The original fascia I bought is the one that fits the car, but I had to cut away the fascia from one side for the headunit to fit because the head unit is slightly wider (see above)

HOW TO WIRE THE ORIGINAL REVERSE CAMERA TO THE HEADUNIT

• My car has a 28-pin connector which has the 12v REVERSE SIGNAL. It makes the camera turn on when reversing. Your vehicle may be different.
  •  The camera retention adapter needs 12v to power. My adapter came in the CTSTY015.2 pack, and appears to be the CAM-TY5-RT on its own, but it is not 100% like for like.

I used this wiring diagram for CAM-TY2-RT as a reference: the https://www.connects2downloads.co.uk/C2/files/InstallationGuides/CAM-TY2-RT.pdf

1) You need to wire the positive wire (usually red) from the camera retention adapter voltage regulator (the square thing with a hole in it) to PIN 2 of the 28-pin connector. This pin is used for the REVERSE SIGNAL.

image.png.dfd4d5d4e1c5ed1199f81599f31ca2ec.png

(view is from the cable side).

2) Also, wire the purple reverse camera cable from the head unit to PIN 2. You can make your life easier by connecting the positive from the regulator and this wire and then having a single wire going to PIN 2.

3) Connect the ground wire from the voltage regulator to ground. I used ground on the 28 PIN connector.

4) Connect everything else from the car's loom up to the Pioneer headunits loom connectors - should be like for-like fitting apart from the GPS/DAB connectors (need to sort that still).

5) I screwed the voltage regulator onto the headunit as per the CAM-TY2-RT instructions as it will essentially act as a heatsink for cooling purposes

Note: The voltage regulator job is to convert the 12v input from the 28 PIN to 6v out, which is needed to power the 6v camera.

Fascia used with Pioneer DAB360:

image.png.fc722094cb6b2f2c9a94d9270a26a51b.png

glad you got it sorted facias are a mare on some cars especially the mk2 auris

CAM-TY2-RT is the basic adapter and has been around for years

CAM-TY5-RT has the reverse on pin 2 of the 28 pin connection

ps. the DAB and GPS factory plugs are SMB with a Toyota housing (pull the white clip and flick the little retaining lug and pull the wire

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links