Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Recall of 1.2

RJ414i

My parents 69 reg 1.2 has just had a recall to check/ replace the fuel pump. I thought I read about this a while ago but in the USA not Europe?

• Like 1

From the DVSA website:

THE INSIDE OF THE HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMP MAY BE WORN OR DAMAGED OVER TIME DURING OPERATION
Recall number
R/2021/185

Recall date
28-06-2021

Recall type
Safety recall

Reason for recall
The inside of the high-pressure fuel pump may be worn or damaged over time during operation.

How to check if the vehicle is recalled
Contact the local TOYOTA dealership or manufacturer. You will not need to pay for anything involving the recall.

How the manufacturer will repair
Inspect* and if necessary replace the high-pressure fuel pump. (*Based on engine variant and/or pump manufacturer/pump serial number.)

Number of affected vehicles

To check whether your car is affected, you can use Toyota's recall checker:

https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/vehicle-information/recall-checker

• Like 3

Got the recall last week and looking to book it in when I get a chance

• Like 1

13 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

To check whether your car is affected, you can use Toyota's recall checker:

https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/vehicle-information/recall-checker

Does that checker actually work with registration numbers? With every Toyota registration number I've tried it says Sorry, we couldn't find your car details in our database

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, yossarian247 said:

Does that checker actually work with registration numbers? With every Toyota registration number I've tried it says Sorry, we couldn't find your car details in our database

Has in the past for me ....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Has in the past for me ....

I'm sure it used to work for me too, but I've tested it several times just now with the reg numbers and VINs of our current and previous Toyotas and it's not now accepting any of them.

• Confused 1

That’s the only one problem ever reported here by owners of 1.2 t , it was twice I believe from two different owners that had issues with high pressure pumps. Good Toyota recalls on that. 👍

• Like 2

Denso the manufacturer have been recalling fuel pumps in many different manufacturers

• Like 2

Also received recall notice last week (campaign YGG72). Now booked in for inspection/repair.
Somewhat confused as my car had already been inspected back in 2021 (campaign WGG27).
Wonder if my Toyota dealer failed to update records (Gov MOT checker does reveal a current outstanding recall) or perhaps just a Toyota safety double check.

Again for me, Toyota recall checker not working after entering VIN and Reg number.
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, beeblebrox said:

Also received recall notice last week (campaign YGG72). Now booked in for inspection/repair.
Somewhat confused as my car had already been inspected back in 2021 (campaign WGG27).
Wonder if my Toyota dealer failed to update records (Gov MOT checker does reveal a current outstanding recall) or perhaps just a Toyota safety double check.

Again for me, Toyota recall checker not working after entering VIN and Reg number.

It needs inspecting again, Denso pumps are OK, if it is a Toyota pump, we scan the QR code on it, some of those pumps will be changed, but not all

• Like 3

I had mine replaced on my 1.2t before I bought it , it flagged up on the gov website when I checked for mot history via the reg of the car . 

Good to see other 1.2t owners on here , felt lonely 🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Recall checker did not work for me either. There is also a section on the My T app for recalls which also does not work

• Like 1

This is why I like Toyota - They could have not bothered with a recall since it's not really a safety thing, but they did.

I was just watching a video doing a diagnostic on an Audi where the car would drive in electric mode but the engine wouldn't start.

The official fix was to replace the mechatronic unit, but it turned out the cause is because a tiny mesh filter would somehow get sucked into one of the oil-pressure-controlled solenoids and block it up.

Audi are aware of the problem but offer no fixes other than a replacement mechatronic unit at the customer's expense (And it's very expensive!), with no guarantee it won't happen again in the future as the unit hasn't been redesigned - Something Toyota routinely do when they discover design flaws in a part.

I do wish I understood why they choose certain things tho', as there are sometimes things that they choose to do recalls over that seem trivial, while other things seem more important but easy that they don't do recalls for!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Cyker said:

This is why I like Toyota - They could have not bothered with a recall since it's not really a safety thing, but they did.

I was just watching a video doing a diagnostic on an Audi where the car would drive in electric mode but the engine wouldn't start.

The official fix was to replace the mechatronic unit, but it turned out the cause is because a tiny mesh filter would somehow get sucked into one of the oil-pressure-controlled solenoids and block it up.

Audi are aware of the problem but offer no fixes other than a replacement mechatronic unit at the customer's expense (And it's very expensive!), with no guarantee it won't happen again in the future as the unit hasn't been redesigned - Something Toyota routinely do when they discover design flaws in a part.

I do wish I understood why they choose certain things tho', as there are sometimes things that they choose to do recalls over that seem trivial, while other things seem more important but easy that they don't do recalls for!

Completely agree. When I owned VW-group cars I lost count of the issues that arguably should have been a recall, but they wouldn't recall anything unless virtually forced to by the government of the country where the vehicle was sold.

It has always annoyed me whenever Toyota announce a recall campaign you get idiots saying 'Toyota must be rubbish with all of these recalls etc etc.' I remember when Toyota recalled hundreds of thousands of vehicles worldwide because there was a tiny chance that the driver's window switch could get hot and burn someone's fingertip. The Auris I owned at the time was recalled, but the switch had never shown the slightest inclination to even get warm in the years I'd owned it.

If it had been a VW or Stellantis product their attitude would have been 'What's the problem if you burn one finger? You've still got nine others'

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Cyker said:

I do wish I understood why they choose certain things tho', as there are sometimes things that they choose to do recalls over that seem trivial, while other things seem more important

Not always the manufacturer's decision. In the UK, owners can report possible safety issues to DVSA, and if there are a sufficient number of reports for the same issue, DVSA will investigate with the manufacturer. Depending what the findings are, DVSA may require recall action to be undertaken.

Also DVSA used to give manufacturers time to obtain sufficient stocks of parts for the recall, before announcing the recall.

That is no longer the case. If a recall is required, it is announced regardless of whether the manufacturer has the required parts or not. This is why sometimes recalls now take longer to complete.

• Like 3

Is there any difference between a Safety recall and a Voluntary recall then? I thought this was of the latter type, where the manufacturer triggers the recall, as opposed to the former, which is triggered by reports to the DVSA as you say.

4 hours ago, yossarian247 said:

Completely agree. When I owned VW-group cars I lost count of the issues that arguably should have been a recall, but they wouldn't recall anything unless virtually forced to by the government of the country where the vehicle was sold.

It has always annoyed me whenever Toyota announce a recall campaign you get idiots saying 'Toyota must be rubbish with all of these recalls etc etc.' I remember when Toyota recalled hundreds of thousands of vehicles worldwide because there was a tiny chance that the driver's window switch could get hot and burn someone's fingertip. The Auris I owned at the time was recalled, but the switch had never shown the slightest inclination to even get warm in the years I'd owned it.

If it had been a VW or Stellantis product their attitude would have been 'What's the problem if you burn one finger? You've still got nine others'

Ford and I think Peugeot had some really bad ones in the past - Well known issues that they ignored and dismissed until multiple people died because of them, before a recall was issued. I much prefer Toyota's way of doing it, i.e. *before* people die.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Is there any difference between a Safety recall and a Voluntary recall then?

Main differences are the DVSA involvement in safety recalls, and, with voluntary recalls, vehicle manufacturers don't have access to DVLA databases for contacting owners.

Oh, so voluntary ones aren't 'official', but just off the manufacturer's own back...? I thought they still had DVSA involvement similar to 'real' recalls.

On 12/6/2023 at 8:00 PM, Cyker said:

Well, I think some Toyota owners would not agree with you. Bad paint job on some IQ a Auris, frame rust issue, oval cylinders of 1.6 engines - is what I can think of.

Don't get me wrong, I am Toyota fan but imho not always they admit that something was theirs fault.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

Oh, so voluntary ones aren't 'official', but just off the manufacturer's own back...? I thought they still had DVSA involvement similar to 'real' recalls.

No.

35 minutes ago, Tomv said:

Bad paint job on some IQ

Toyota did provide help with the paint issues on the IQ under goodwill. Most of the issues came to light when cars were outside the 3 year paint and surface corrosion warranty. For the first few years, Toyota provided repairs as long as the cars had a Toyota service history - goodwill works both ways, from the manufacturer and from the owner. 

Then in the past couple of years an age limit of 10 years was also applied. 

Don't know of many other manufacturers who will repair paintwork several years outside of warranty.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Tomv said:

Well, I think some Toyota owners would not agree with you. Bad paint job on some IQ a Auris, frame rust issue, oval cylinders of 1.6 engines - is what I can think of.

Don't get me wrong, I am Toyota fan but imho not always they admit that something was theirs fault.

I just meant the recall stuff, specifically the safety ones; As I said, other manufacturers have literally ignored known critical safety issues until enough people died, whereas Toyota have been the opposite, even with really stupid stuff like floor mats jamming accelerators.

The other stuff you mention is outside that and more a question of general build issues, but as Frosty says, for many of them, Toyota *have* had voluntary repair campaigns which sometimes extend up to 10 years.

This is more than most manufacturers would do - Most would expect you to pay for any sort of repair once out of warranty, even if it was a major design flaw they knew about.

That said, a criticism is they don't tend to highlight a lot of these campaigns, so if you're servicing outside the dealer network and have the problem, you're unlikely to find out about the campaign unless you hear about it from places like this.

• Like 2

Going slightly off on a tangent, but the mention of the floormats jamming accelerators reminded me of a tragic incident that happened just up the road from where I was working in 2008:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1256903/Toyota-Prius-driver-knocked-killed-wife-blames-faulty-car.html

Ultimately the man didn't face trial due to the worldwide hysteria over Toyotas supposedly accelerating on their own at that time. With the benefit of hindsight I've always wondered if it was actually intentional, or just a mixture of confusion and panic? I see that he died in 2022 at the age of 86, so we'll never know..

• Like 1

I received a letter from Toyota stating that it needed to be done, the job took less than a day.

• Like 1

Booked in for inspection. Apparently only takes about an hour so will wait until its done

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links