Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Recall of 1.2

RJ414i

Update; was inspected today and the fuel pump is indeed one of the ones affected by the safety recall and will be replaced in the new year. The dealer said they had seen a couple recently where this is needed. Looks like they scan a QR code on the pump body and the system indicates whether its good or bad.

• Like 2

On 12/6/2023 at 7:00 PM, Cyker said:

This is why I like Toyota - They could have not bothered with a recall since it's not really a safety thing, but they did.

I was just watching a video doing a diagnostic on an Audi where the car would drive in electric mode but the engine wouldn't start.

The official fix was to replace the mechatronic unit, but it turned out the cause is because a tiny mesh filter would somehow get sucked into one of the oil-pressure-controlled solenoids and block it up.

Audi are aware of the problem but offer no fixes other than a replacement mechatronic unit at the customer's expense (And it's very expensive!), with no guarantee it won't happen again in the future as the unit hasn't been redesigned - Something Toyota routinely do when they discover design flaws in a part.

I do wish I understood why they choose certain things tho', as there are sometimes things that they choose to do recalls over that seem trivial, while other things seem more important but easy that they don't do recalls for!

Diagnose Dan has plenty of interesting videos. I am a subscriber.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Swanthecat said:

Update; was inspected today and the fuel pump is indeed one of the ones affected by the safety recall and will be replaced in the new year. The dealer said they had seen a couple recently where this is needed. Looks like they scan a QR code on the pump body and the system indicates whether its good or bad.

Denso pumps don't need replacing, if it is branded Toyota, you scan the QR code and it tells you if good or bad. 

• Like 3

Good on Toyota.  I've a friend with an i30N Hyundai, issues with HPFP... in warranty. Had to fix out of pocket. Quick Google.. the engine is well known for this issue from years back when they started using it in big Genesis models in the US and elsewhere... no such responsibility.  

On the flipside, I heard of voluntary recalls in the US years ago by Toyota, who were doing full engine replacements on some 'trucks' even those well out of warranty, in order to maintain its reputation of reliability.  I'll try to find a source for that.. sounds a bit too good to be true. 

I remember a government recall on the Fiat's around 2015...  it involved having a single page added to an owners manual as some information about the seatbelt was either missing or incorrect... mad but glad we live in a part of the world that takes safety that seriously 🙂  

Shame on manufacturers who view recalls as a 'cost of dealing with the accidents' versus 'cost of making it right' basis... 

• Like 3

My parents were supposed to have the car checked today (Friday) but got a call yesterday stating that the pump does indeed need changing. It will be changed in the New Year when a replacement arrives.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Pump changed yesterday, two hour job. 

• Like 1

Here in Portugal safety recall fuel pump issue started in early january 2024. Mine is been inspected right now..

I am a bit disappointed with transmission and clutch block in this car. Anyone with issues? 

Second gear is hard/difficult to get into the upshift process, while downshifting is much easier. 

The clutch point very often makes strange smells, which has never happened to me with other cars (I think I already know how to do the clutch point... 😉

The Toyota dealer manager's statement, after testing, is that everything is fine and, trying to open the transmission block to fix it, may not solve it and may even worsen the problem....

Anyone owner of a manual transmission 1.2 turbo with some of these complains?

DVSA recalls are the really serious ones and are notified to the registered keeper by the DVSA. The car should then be booked in for the work to be done.

Then there are manufacturer recalls which are really updates that are checked for (or should be) when your car is booked in at a dealership for work. Only official dealerships have the ability to check for these and carry out the work, use a local garage and they won't get done. We have had quite a few done in the past, got a new Battery on a BMW that was 2 years 364 days old, had an ECU update on a Focus to improve radio performance (it made it a bit better) and a ECU update on a Ceed that literally turned it into a different car, it was fine before, it was excellent after. Our Superb gets updates over the internet quite frequently, no idea what they are for.

After checking the QR code and pump status, there was no need to replace the high pressure fuel pump! Looks like I got a good one on a 2022 Corolla!👍

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links