Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris 2020

Goldmister

So today I bought a 2020 Yaris Hybrid Launch Edition. So far so good but a couple of things I noticed on my trip back.

Firstly the drivers door switches don’t open the rear windows. The rear door switches work fine. I’m guessing this isn’t right?

Also reversing… the camera is useful but I heard no beeps when I was reversing which I thought was odd. I’ve been used to that on my old Peugeot 207 (2007) so took for granted every car would have it. Is this a fault?

oh and pressing the “speech” button I asked it to “Station Absolute Radio” and got “ no device connected” or something like that.

Tried hitting a station manually and nothing came through.

im hoping these are teething troubles. New car- new way of doing things but if you can offer any help I’d be most grateful.

Cheers

Glen

• Like 2

Good choice! 🙂

1. Rear windows from the driver's door - this is definitely not right but this is something (the rear window operation) that can be disabled through an OBDII connection and an app like Carista or OBDLink etc. If you don't have the wherewithal yourself, the dealer you purchased from can re-enable this with their kit if that's the problem. If it was like this when you left the dealer, again, I would hot foot it back to them to get it fixed. Did you purchase from a main dealer?

2. The Launch Edition was not fitted with front or rear parking sensors as standard. I know because I currently have one of the same year as yours.

3. The "Speech" button is only operational if you have a smartphone connected (wired) and Android Auto or Apple Carplay fully working. The Radio should work fine on its own but if you are in a fringe DAB+ area, it may come up sporadically. Does FM work? Have you tried doing a full re-scan while it is switched to DAB? The car may have come from an area where the DAB frequencies are different...

If you need any further help just shout...

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, CPN said:

Good choice! 🙂

1. Rear windows from the driver's door - this is definitely not right but this is something (the rear window operation) that can be disabled through an OBDII connection and an app like Carista or OBDLink etc. If you don't have the wherewithal yourself, the dealer you purchased from can re-enable this with their kit if that's the problem. If it was like this when you left the dealer, again, I would hot foot it back to them to get it fixed. Did you purchase from a main dealer?

2. The Launch Edition was not fitted with front or rear parking sensors as standard. I know because I currently have one of the same year as yours.

3. The "Speech" button is only operational if you have a smartphone connected (wired) and Android Auto or Apple Carplay fully working. The Radio should work fine on its own but if you are in a fringe DAB+ area, it may come up sporadically. Does FM work? Have you tried doing a full re-scan while it is switched to DAB? The car may have come from an area where the DAB frequencies are different...

If you need any further help just shout...

Thank you. Yes I got it from Steven Eagel Toyota in Romford (they took it to Aylesbury near me) and a very nice drive back it was.

How strange about the sensors. My bad. It was an assumption of course. I should know better.

Maybe I do need to rescan. I shall try that tomorrow. The Apple CarPlay as working ok when wired. I thought bluetooth would work aswell but thank you for putting me straight.

Since I only picked it up this afternoon and then had to work unexpectedly I’ve not even worked out how to change/store radio stations yet. But I’ll get there 😀

Obviously it’s going to take me a little while to get to know all the bells and whistles.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Goldmister said:

How strange about the sensors. My bad. It was an assumption of course. I should know better.

Not your fault. I was surprised to find that the "top spec" special "Launch Edition" didn't have parking sensors either but really, the only "top spec" thing it had was the HUD which I now swear by as an essential.

Maybe I do need to rescan. I shall try that tomorrow.

I'm sure that that will probably help...

The Apple CarPlay as working ok when wired. I thought Bluetooth would work aswell but thank you for putting me straight.

I don't do Apple stuff but with Android Auto, the wired connection and a bluetooth connection also from the same phone, work fine concurrently...

Since I only picked it up this afternoon and then had to work unexpectedly I’ve not even worked out how to change/store radio stations yet. But I’ll get there 😀

Indeed you will and you'll enjoy the journey I'm sure. It's a belter of a car!

Obviously it’s going to take me a little while to get to know all the bells and whistles.

Just take your time and make sure you download the applicable manual to help... (from the Toyota website)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If it makes you feel better, you're not the only one who assumed it had parking sensors - Everyone assumed the Launch Edition was the Everything and the Kitchen Sink version, and were a bit miffed when they discovered it didn't have the parking sensors.

That said, they're not as helpful as they could be as they go off far too early and make you second guess yourself; I actually find it harder to park my one compared to the Icon I had as a courtesy car because the parking sensor beeps go off so early and break my concentration - Even when they're at a solid beeeeep there is still several inches of space to go which makes them unhelpful for the kind of super tight parking I tend to do. I wish the car had a 360 degree camera system!

The front switches should definitely be able to control all the windows - Query it with the dealer, assuming you bought it from a dealer!

The speech thing is pretty useless - I've tried to use it to call people or play specific music tracks on my USB stick. I've gotten it to call the correct person once, but the other times it either didn't recognize or called the wrong person. With music tracks, it also usually failed to find the track, but even when it did find the track, it asked to confirm and when I confirmed it said it was unavailable (??). I just pretend it doesn't exist now :laugh: 

• Like 4

The only thing I use the speech button for is navigation with Google Maps while AA is connected... Works reliably with that.

• Like 4

Lunch editions are very hit-and-miss spec wise, no rear sensors, but it does have the rear cross traffic alert (RCTA) and BSM - the Excel is really the top spec car - HUD and JBL upgrades are the 2 major item that got axed during cov1d

odd that the rear windows don't work from the drivers' door, have a fiddle with the lock button, if in doubt disconnect the 12v Battery for 15 mins - iirc they are now Lin bus controlled

• Like 3

For the rear windows operating from drivers door make sure lock button it’s not pressed in, press and press again to make sure it’s poking out a bit and your windows will work. 
image.thumb.jpeg.2e3bf709a4da7c13e873df689a4ad97a.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Enjoy! I'm loving mine. The Launch Edition has most of the features. As Colin said, the HUD is a game changer, I can't live without it now. Sometimes my speed is erratic (I try and use the speed limiter as much as I can), so this really helps as I can keep my eye on the speed without having to glance down. I'm sure better drivers than me will be fine without it, but it's ideal for me.

It misses out on those clearance sonars the Excel has which will automatically stop the car for you if it detects you're going to hit something, like when parking into a tight space or something.

I would have loved the panoramic roof that you could get with the Excel spec but ah well, it is what it is. The HUD has overtaken everything in terms of priority for what I want.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

Lunch editions are very hit-and-miss spec wise, no rear sensors, but it does have the rear cross traffic alert (RCTA) and BSM

It says the Launch edition has RCTA in the original spec sheet, but it was an error - You need the proximity sensors to get RCTA, but because it doesn't have them, it doesn't get that either; I remember there was a thread about Launch owners trying to get RCTA to work and eventually got confirmation it was listed in error.

TBH you're not missing much - It just means you can't reverse out of a parking bay easily unless nobody is around or it'll beep alarmingly at you :wacko:

I swear even seagulls and wind-blown crisp packets set it off...!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Anybody having issue with reversing/parking sensors range can have it shortend but its only possable via your garage with the corect kit.

IMG_0842.thumb.PNG.bc01b9a7ef5ed430391b7083980e0fdf.PNG  To be honest it should be a user option?.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Checked the lock button finally and still nothing. Will have to contact the dealer I think.
Actually (and this may sound very silly) where's the bonnet prop (or whatever it's called). I could be really thick but there doesn't appear to be one. Theres a clip under the bonnet itself where it looks like one should go but theres nothing there.

I drove from Buckinghamshire to North Wales for Christmas so obviously wanted to check oil levels etc. That was fun holding the bonnet up with my head!

If Im not being stupid then how on earth did the dealer manage to check oil/fluid levels before driving it to me and not notice there wasn't one?

• Haha 1

Glen, its up above your head attached to the bonnet lid underside of course.

• Like 1

Yes it's missing! Makes me wonder why. Anyway u know what to do, on the phone to the dealer. 

• Like 3

I do feel like the strut is quite flimsy, but yeah very weird it's not there at all.

• Like 1

Do a visual check on the oil as well and check if it needs topping up. I would be wary as to how the car was checked out before the sale, oil, coolant, belts etc. In my distant opinion the bonnet was never lifted by the dealership mechanic, before the sale because they couldn't fail to see that it was missing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bernard Foy said:

Do a visual check on the oil as well and check if it needs topping up. I would be wary as to how the car was checked out before the sale, oil, coolant, belts etc. In my distant opinion the bonnet was never lifted by the dealership mechanic, before the sale because they couldn't fail to see that it was missing.

That's what apprentices are for !!!!

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, flash22 said:

That's what apprentices are for !!!!

Yeah could have occupied two of them, one to hold up the bonnet 🤣

• Haha 5

6 hours ago, Bernard Foy said:

In my distant opinion the bonnet was never lifted by the dealership mechanic, before the sale because they couldn't fail to see that it was missing

I'm not so sure. A quick visual check of things, maybe even pulling out and replacing the dipstick, would be quicker without using the prop.

• Like 1

That's mental, I wonder how it came out?? :eek: 

It doesn't seem like it would come out easily by accident, but then why would any one remove it??

I must say tho', I really question why it was put up there; IMHO it works much better mounted in front instead of on the actual bonnet. This is the first car I've ever owned where it was mounted on the bonnet and it's much more awkward, plus you have the added fun of burning yourself on it if you've just been on a drive!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cyker said:

That's mental, I wonder how it came out?? :eek: 

It doesn't seem like it would come out easily by accident, but then why would any one remove it??

I must say tho', I really question why it was put up there; IMHO it works much better mounted in front instead of on the actual bonnet. This is the first car I've ever owned where it was mounted on the bonnet and it's much more awkward, plus you have the added fun of burning yourself on it if you've just been on a drive!

Agreed , just another stupid design idea. 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links