Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris driver's seat height broken

James Turner

My driver's seat height adjustor has broken; the level has just gone all loose and no longer works. Any idea about how to fix this? :)

Seats are not really designed to be repairable. Easiest and cheapest option would be to swap seats with one from a breakers yard.

Otherwise you might need to get creative with a welder, assuming you can get to the broken/worn part.

I don't remember anyone reporting this fault before on here in the last 6 years or so.

In the first instance I'd suspect the plastic handle itself has stripped its attachment points, or similar.

The seat height mechanism looks quite durable, if the mechanism did fail, then I'd guess the seat might well drop to its lowest position.

Here's a seat base off a MK2 Auris that I swapped out some years back (for an unrelated reason). 

First pictured from underneath, then above.  The red arrow indicates the initial part of the height adjuster mechanism. That is located near (behind) the adjustment lever. 

The twisting motion from that is transferred to the other side of the seat base through the hefty transverse tube. A quadrant gear and a friction mechanism (behind the small gear wheel just visible in the second picture) does all the hard work in cantilevering the seat position, as far as I can see. 

P1100586.JPG

P1100591.JPG

P1100595.JPG

• Like 2

Gerg; thank you for your reply. I think you might be right; the handle had gone 'floppy' a while back but had still be working. It feels like it has disengaged... I had a tinker with it this evening; if you push the handle back in towards the seat it seems to engage and move the seat up and down.

Its due a service soon; I will get my local garage to have a look.

Again thank you for your reply

James

• 1 month later...

My mk2 Auris when about 3 years old got replaced by Toyota as it kept sinking …. (I’m not fat!)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links