Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

PHEV GR Sport UK... Tyres ?

Nick72

Got CrossClimates 2 SUV to replace Yokohama Avid GT stock tires. My dear god, it’s hard to believe how much difference a good tyre can make if you don’t try it yourself. Michelins are not one but two levels above, it’s a different league. They perform on ice better than Yokohamas on wet and the noise level dropped dramatically too. They were worth every single penny I paid for them and I can’t recommend them enough.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, kucyk said:

Got CrossClimates 2 SUV to replace Yokohama Avid GT stock tires. My dear god, it’s hard to believe how much difference a good tyre can make if you don’t try it yourself. Michelins are not one but two levels above, it’s a different league. They perform on ice better than Yokohamas on wet and the noise level dropped dramatically too. They were worth every single penny I paid for them and I can’t recommend them enough.

I'm going to get the dealer to put them on with my GR Sport order. Replacement company car. Got the stock Yokohama on my curre R4P and I'm sure they're efficient and last a long time but I'd sooner have the traction in the wet, ice, snow, dirt.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2023 at 11:58 PM, Doubletalkjive said:

I’m thinking that if the dashcam is not cloud connected (because the model does not support direct upload to cloud) the data is in the MicroSD card (I don’t know if the Nextbase has separate internal storage).

Did you get a Dashcam sorted? 
I have a fairly new mid-range Nextbase on my current car, which I wanted to transfer to the PHEV when it arrives (soon I think), but not sure how easy it is to hide a cable run from the 12V socket in the cabin to the top of windscreen. I read somewhere on here that there are guides already for this, but I couldn't find one 😞
I wanted to make sure I avoid airbags etc. 

4 hours ago, P_J said:

Did you get a dashcam sorted? 
I have a fairly new mid-range NextBase on my current car, which I wanted to transfer to the PHEV when it arrives (soon I think), but not sure how easy it is to hide a cable run from the 12V socket in the cabin to the top of windscreen. I read somewhere on here that there are guides already for this, but I couldn't find one 😞
I wanted to make sure I avoid airbags etc. 

I decided against getting one installed by the dealer. I think I will explore later down the line and self install. Sorry, I’m not aware of any guides for it either!

I’m pretty sure they wire it into the fuse box directly when they do it. 

I also replaced the stock Yokohama tyres on my RAV4 PHEV with the Michelin Cross Climate 2 SUV's. Was trawling through a RAV4 Facebook group the other day and noticed that someone had posted about potential problems with the RAV4 and the CC2's (see image attached). Apparently some places won't fit these tyres on a RAV4 based on this bulletin from Michelin.

Curious if any of you with the CC2's fitted have noticed this rubbing issue? I haven't noticed it but I very rarely perform a full steering lock.

cc2.jpg

No issues with mine that I have ever noticed, like you hardly use full lock - will try later on.

• Like 1

I don’t have CC2’s as yet on my car but I try not to use full lock unless absolutely necessary. I don’t think it would put me off changing to them in the future.

• Like 1

Tried full lock on mine and there is no way they would rub on a fender. There is also 2-3cm clearance on each side inside of the wheel arch. Maybe they would catch in some edge case scenario like fully loaded car, full steering lock, 60mph, and pothole 😆

• Like 1

If you read the notice there are a number of aspects which need to be considered. 

1) it applies to cars built between 2019-21.

2) it refers only to North American market cars. Those are made in North America. European cars are built in Japan

3) it says ‘may’. Not will or definitely.

4) this is for litigious North America where drivers sue for thinking cruise control is autopilot and scalding from driving with a hit drink in their laps…… 

So please give some context before catastrophising what is a ‘maybe’ a cosmetic outcome. Now stop panicking and get on with driving your cars with or without CC tyres and leave the lawyers in the US to panic everyone. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Flatcoat said:

If you read the notice there are a number of aspects which need to be considered. 

2) it refers only to North American market cars. Those are made in North America. European cars are built in Japan

4) this is for litigious North America where drivers sue for thinking cruise control is autopilot and scalding from driving with a hit drink in their laps…… 

So please give some context before catastrophising what is a ‘maybe’ a cosmetic outcome. Now stop panicking and get on with driving your cars with or without CC tyres and leave the lawyers in the US to panic everyone. 

👍  ... and you omitted the key phrase: "may exhibit slight cosmetic rubbing". I mean, really, talk about a storm in a teacup ... 🙂

• Thanks 1

Cosmetic rubbing?  People pay a fortune for that.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Flatcoat said:

Not panicking or catastrophising. The context was simple curiosity to see if anyone with the CC2's fitted had noticed this cosmetic rubbing mentioned in the bulletin, nothing more. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

No rubbing on mine - cosmetic or otherwise?

• Like 1

I too have had positive opinion of CC+ & CC2s on other/previous cars, however have yet to move on from OEM yokohama avid GTs in the Rav (phev). I occasionally browse the various tyre sites to get an idea of cost, and have noted that the Goodyear Vector 4 seasons Gen3 are currently on a v good deal at national tyres (currently 20% off if buying 4 tyres, so approx £117/tyre)

Anyone have any experience with these, or prev generations? They usually review very well in terms of dry/wet/cold performance, but less dynamic/driving feel, and a step back from CC2s for rolling resistance. If in practice this means say ~10% reduction in mpg (eg 45mpg->40.5mpg) then over 10k petrol/HEV miles, this upfront saving would prove to be a false economy as the cost would be eliminated in petrol costs over those 10k (I've used £1.40/L) and you'd hope to run them for at least 20-25k. Anyone know if this has a real world impact of fuel economy? 

• Like 1

On 2/3/2024 at 2:27 PM, Mike2222 said:

I too have had positive opinion of CC+ & CC2s on other/previous cars, however have yet to move on from OEM yokohama avid GTs in the Rav (phev). I occasionally browse the various tyre sites to get an idea of cost, and have noted that the Goodyear Vector 4 seasons Gen3 are currently on a v good deal at national tyres (currently 20% off if buying 4 tyres, so approx £117/tyre)

Anyone have any experience with these, or prev generations? They usually review very well in terms of dry/wet/cold performance, but less dynamic/driving feel, and a step back from CC2s for rolling resistance. If in practice this means say ~10% reduction in mpg (eg 45mpg->40.5mpg) then over 10k petrol/HEV miles, this upfront saving would prove to be a false economy as the cost would be eliminated in petrol costs over those 10k (I've used £1.40/L) and you'd hope to run them for at least 20-25k. Anyone know if this has a real world impact of fuel economy? 

I've not come across those Mike but looking now. Looking reasonable. I'm not sure how much of an economy difference there will be between the stock tyres and a true all season. I'd be surprised if it were more than say 2 mpg though but honestly don't really know.

I think I'm just looking for better road holding to go alongside the stiffer suspension on the GR Sport. And get the benefit of good snow and ice capabilities as we go to our other place in the mountains in the Lake District quite a lot. We've had a lot of snow up there as early as the beginning of November and and as late as mid April. We need to drive over a mountain to get there any time soon. So far the AWD and stock tyres on the existing R4P I got has been pretty reasonable but having the extra capability may be a good insurance policy even if it costs me over a grand over the 3 years with the car. I might even keep the car if I'm not impressed by what's on the market at that point. 

I have Continental all season on my RAV and Goodyear Vector Gen3 on my Merc. Very impressed with the wear rate of the Conti’s and happy with grip etc. Had them on through the 2022 hot summer heat when we towed our caravan to Austria and also happy how they performed in the Scottish highlands 2 weeks ago. At the time of purchase they were significantly cheaper than CC’s and from reading reviews their performance only marginally worse in some aspects but better in others. 

• Like 1

I’ve had on previous cars CC’s and CC XL’s. In my view the real benefits is obviously as the temperature drops below 10oC but especially when it rains. We increasingly appear to be subject to lots of water and under these circumstances I’ve found them to be a massive improvement over standard summer tyres. I’m sure there are similar products but have no experience of them. I’d say the XL’s were slightly more noisy but with either versions I’ve not noticed much change in mpg.

The CC 2’s look good on paper and there is a Volvo version that would be a fit for my current 19” wheels. 

• Like 1

I have had three sets of the original cross climate with my land rover but recently I replaced them with the cc2 and the difference is massive. CC2 is certainly noisier than the original cross climate but on wet road there isn't any unexpected sliding. On wet motorway I feel much safer than the old cc. I am asking the dealer to replace the stock tyres with the CC2, they said the stock tyres can't be classed as new tyres as it's fitted and run for a few miles but they haven't said NO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flatcoat said:

Goodyear Vector Gen3 on my Merc

How would you rate the goodyears? Thx

They seem fine and appear to have good balance of low noise, low rolling resistance and grip. however the old Merc is a second car and only used once or twice a week, if that. The Continentals still have excellent standing water clearing characteristics considering the mileage covered. 

• Thanks 1

I have Goodyear Vector Gen3 in 225/45/17 XL W  on my 2017 Auris. Changed from CC+ last autumn and done 3000 miles. So far they perform well and very similar to CC+, they are a bit softer (which is a good thing with the hard suspension on Auris), and I do not push the car to extremes.
RAV4 HEV has the stock toyo proxes r46a, and they will happily slide on the roundabout or spin when moving on. Goodyear Vector Gen3 on the same road conditions and driving style will be sure-footed and feel safe. They are also great on the muddy country lanes. In Auris, I did not notice a major drop in MPG with CC+ or Goodyear Vector Gen3, however there is a significant drop in MPG when my wife drives a car 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It seems there are several firms providing tyre hotels including storage from as low as 15 quid a year per set.

I'm thinking this would be a good option for me. Get company car delivered. Swap tyres for Michelin CC2 SUV. Put stock tyres into storage. Put them back on the car for return. Unless they'll accept the car back with the CC2s and in which case I'll just sell the stock tyres as newish but not new.

Looks like Toyota had a disastrous dabble in tyre hotels...

https://mag.toyota.co.uk/winter-tyres-toyota-tyre-hotel/

• Like 1

They won't care what tyres are on - They'd put the cheapest tyres on their system on if they need replacing so having CC2's on would be a bonus :laugh: 

It's a bit more complicated with mine, as I've had mixed feedback as to whether they care if I part-ex'd it with the 17" rims or not.

I do wonder if the difference in part-ex value of the car on 15" steels is more or less than what I could get selling the 17"s on to someone... :g: 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cyker said:

They won't care what tyres are on - They'd put the cheapest tyres on their system on if they need replacing so having CC2's on would be a bonus :laugh: 

It's a bit more complicated with mine, as I've had mixed feedback as to whether they care if I part-ex'd it with the 17" rims or not.

I do wonder if the difference in part-ex value of the car on 15" steels is more or less than what I could get selling the 17"s on to someone... :g: 

This is the challenge I'm having. They do care. They want it back with exactly what I was given. They can't get their head out of the paperwork and bureaucracy even though it's in their favour. And they just sell the car on anyways. And which I might actually decide to buy at the end of the term. Escalated it up the chain today. At the same time I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't even have raised it and just go ahead and do it. 🤦

On 1/24/2024 at 5:06 PM, Danlo said:

Curious if any of you with the CC2's fitted have noticed this rubbing issue? I haven't noticed it but I very rarely perform a full steering lock.

The American RAVs have wider (235) tyres fitted according to the bulletin. My dynamic has 225/55R19 tyres so unlikely to rub. Don’t know if the width of the UK RAVP tyres are the same 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links