Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Smart Meters

Haliotis

If your smart meter goes dumb you may be asked for a reading every month.  PITA after you have had their benefit of a Smart meter.

I played the DDA 98 card.  My gas meter is in the ground.  To read it I have to get down on my knees.  No problem,  inconvenient with wet and cold gravel.

Getting up again is not inconvenient but damn near impossible.   I told them to come read it, and they did

• Like 1

I think everyone has their own opinions on smart meters, some see it as a benefit some as a form of control. The question IMO, is it fair for energy suppliers who do not own the meter unless they have actually replaced one, entitled to demand you replace your old one when in a majority of the cases nothing is wrong with it?

The fact that these smart meters can be shut off remotely or tariffs changed gives them control over your gas and electricity which is essential to all of us. It should be understood that these energy suppliers are granted licenses to supply energy, they do not produce it or own the cable of gas pipe networks.

If they go bust we bail them out. Octopus energy has become one of the biggest energy suppliers and have bought out many smaller ones along with other European country suppliers.

What happens if only one or two of these companies dominate the whole energy market they can then dictate prices along with being able to cut supplies when they want and deny energy to anyone that doesn't want a smart meter. This is worrying.

You only need to look at the water companies and the cartel they run.☹️

• Like 1

If they want to cut you off or charge you a different tariff they can do that without you being on a smart meter, maybe not as quickly. I think people overthink things because they don't like change, I see no difference to them doing what they want regardless of the meter type 

My only concern is the risk of these meters not being accurate.  Quite a few people have claimed that they are not - some may be wrong, but they say there is no smoke without fire. When I mentioned this to my supplier, I was told that this was only the case with type 1 meters, and they only install type 2, which does suggest there has been good reason to suspect them.

3 hours ago, Parts-King said:

If they want to cut you off or charge you a different tariff they can do that without you being on a smart meter, maybe not as quickly. I think people overthink things because they don't like change, I see no difference to them doing what they want regardless of the meter type 

IMO change can be a benefit when it's used for good but so much of our lives have and are being controlled and we are allowing this to happen.

Some people may not like change but I don't mind it providing should I decide that if I do not want something I have my decision respected and in doing so do not give up my fundamental rights.

It's not a conspiracy theory to see what these companies are aiming for and just accepting that it's for your benefit when in reality it's always for profit and control.

Being able to shut of your supply is possible if a smart meter is installed however remote switching of substations is out of their remit. They can apply for a warrant to enter your premises to change a meter but only in exceptional circumstances, also as we currently still have a number of independent suppliers who do not require a smart meter I would change supplier if needed or apply for another dumb meter to be installed, it can not be argued that the meter is beyond it's service buy doing this.

As I have said before they do not own your meter they only have a licence to sell energy.🙂

1 hour ago, Haliotis said:

My only concern is the risk of these meters not being accurate.  Quite a few people have claimed that they are not - some may be wrong, but they say there is no smoke without fire. When I mentioned this to my supplier, I was told that this was only the case with type 1 meters, and they only install type 2, which does suggest there has been good reason to suspect them.

Network signal can also be a problem. Funny how a number of people have reported in the MSM that they received bills for thousands of pounds but reported by energy suppliers as a computer of input user error. Didn't stop them taking the money out of some of these people's accounts. Nothing to see here.:angry:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bper said:

IMO change can be a benefit when it's used for good but so much of our lives have and are being controlled and we are allowing this to happen.

Some people may not like change but I don't mind it providing should I decide that if I do not want something I have my decision respected and in doing so do not give up my fundamental rights.

It's not a conspiracy theory to see what these companies are aiming for and just accepting that it's for your benefit when in reality it's always for profit and control.

Being able to shut of your supply is possible if a smart meter is installed however remote switching of substations is out of their remit. They can apply for a warrant to enter your premises to change a meter but only in exceptional circumstances, also as we currently still have a number of independent suppliers who do not require a smart meter I would change supplier if needed or apply for another dumb meter to be installed, it can not be argued that the meter is beyond it's service buy doing this.

As I have said before they do not own your meter they only have a licence to sell energy.🙂

It's a free country (at the moment) Bob, I respect your decision, but I don't hold with they "can do what they like" for profit and control. Maybe when we cannot supply enough electricity for the country, but I will be pushing up daises by then 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/20/2024 at 9:11 AM, Parts-King said:

It's a free country (at the moment) Bob, I respect your decision, but I don't hold with they "can do what they like" for profit and control. Maybe when we cannot supply enough electricity for the country, but I will be pushing up daises by then 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Hi Kingo,the article below speaks volumes no more to say,:smile:

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links