Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Power Folding Mirror Upgrade

solero

1 minute ago, farenheit said:

Thanks for this, time to look for some local breakers. Is the wiring straight forward enough?

It is plug and play, quite easy to install. You might need to extend 2 wires for the left mirror as they are just long enough to run the shortest  route under the dash panel. You also need to find a permanent 12V feed. I removed the dashboard panel in order to have a good access and do it properly

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, yyarm said:

It is plug and play, quite easy to install. You might need to extend 2 wires for the left mirror as they are just long enough to run the shortest  route under the dash panel. You also need to find a permanent 12V feed. I removed the dashboard panel in order to have a good access and do it properly

Does this setup auto fold on lock?

Ps my folding motors have arrived, so will have a go hopefully this weekend.

Do the lights come through on the switch? My current window adjustment switch lights up when I have my lights on.

9 hours ago, solero said:

Does this setup auto fold on lock?

Ps my folding motors have arrived, so will have a go hopefully this weekend.

Yes, it does. The mirrors fold every time you lock the car and unfold when you start the engine. I just don't think you can disable this function 

9 hours ago, farenheit said:

Do the lights come through on the switch? My current window adjustment switch lights up when I have my lights on.

The switch has no LEDs. I was gutted about it. I bought a second hand one eBay, but it has a different socket at the back. Now I need to find a plug for it

Next Installment:

De-pinned the  3 wite mirror motors connector. Pushed one of the indicator wires out to make it slimmer to squeeze through the bush.

Took apart the plastic pivot bush using bolt, washer, nut arrangement. Compress fully, turn 45 degrees either way

Inner carcass popped out. Then dremelled away. Once you start theres no going back 😀
Used a mini diamond cutting disc at high speed which melted rather than cut the plastic.
Motor should sit fully flat  in the recess. 

Soldered the extension wire to match length of existing cable.

Now the difficult bit of reassembling the picit bush! Nout bolt arrangement was useless against that spring. So used a ratchet g clamp, and spoun bush 45 degrees with a screw driver. Phew what a job!

Reassembled and routed wiring along existing with sleeving.

Tested with a 12v supply, and it  folds, unfolds . Whoopee!

As the old saying goes, where theres a will theres a way!

Hopefully, this helps anybody who needs to repair a  broken mirror or swap bits with a salvage wing mirror, or new parts from aliexpress.  Seriously, not an easy job. Toyota made it really difficult at every step. Must be a good cash cow for them.

Now need to fit and wire in to car. Then repeat for other wing, oh joy!

Compress_20240420_203222_2508.jpg

Compress_20240420_203222_2081.jpg

Compress_20240420_203223_3584.jpg

Compress_20240420_203223_3065.jpg

Compress_20240420_203224_4530.jpg

Compress_20240420_203224_4051.jpg

Compress_20240420_203225_5852.jpg

Compress_20240420_203225_5475.jpg

Compress_20240420_203225_5115.jpg

Compress_20240420_203226_6658.jpg

Compress_20240420_203226_6224.jpg

Compress_20240420_203227_7925.jpg

Compress_20240420_203227_7539.jpg

Compress_20240420_203227_7129.jpg

• Like 2

Final connection in door made. Fold/unfold working.

Parts/cost:

Pair of folding motors :£30

Twin pair wire 5m: £2

DPDT switch: £1

4 Male/female connectors: £2

Total £35

Compress_20240421_100720_0330.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Heads up for anyone looking ot buy door mirrors to avaid resellers who say they hold stock, but they don't, they take payment and then order a cheap part from abroad. 

I posted an update - it doesn't look like I'm goinf to get the goods I payed for. I only clocked it when I saw the e-mail domain name "BuyItOnline" for the website "wingmirrorman".

I always pay by credit card so you are protected. Funnily enough i once got scammed by the uk courier who failed to deliver an item, kept it and took a kerbside photo of a sack. I reported it to the courier company who sent me in circles. i eventually just got the credit card company to refund the paypal payment.

• Like 1

Managed to do the left mirror using just the nut ,washers,bolt arrangement upside down. No need for the ratchet clamp.

Compress_20240504_213254_4941.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links