Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Power Folding Mirror Upgrade

solero

Yes, i think its twist locked whilst compressed. The knotched head seems to suggest this. I cant think of any other way for it to hold together or come apart.

The spring alone needs to be compressed whilst leaving the notched head free to twist / unscrew open.

Its under minimum compression load in the normal open position. When closed forward or backwards its under slight compression.

I believe that pivot bush is something similar to below. Likely a push fit from above with inaccessible one way clips below.

In previous wing mirrors, the three hinge screws were accessible from below. Now they have sandwiched them from above  to prevent easy repairs.

Screenshot_20240329-023548.png

as I said before it is a lot of hassle when you can just get used parts

the mirror components are one-time assembles once put together they are not designed to come apart

don't try to reinvent the wheel you are just waste your time and money

as for the mirror switch, non-auto folding ones are dirt cheap £10-20 used, full auto is £20-40

Next installment:

The three TORX screws can be removed from above carefully after removing wing cover.

The plastic sprung pivot bush through which the cable is run has 4 notches. As i thought spring needs to be compressed and turned 45 degrees (anticlockwise for lhs mirror). It will only turn one way as one side has a high wall for the notch, and the other side a low wall.

Photos attached.

Compress_20240331_171906_6966.jpg

Compress_20240331_171907_7377.jpg

Compress_20240331_171907_7757.jpg

Compress_20240331_171907_7985.jpg

This part looks very similar to whats fitted in the uk auris wing mirrors.

Screenshot_20240401-021027.png

I bought a broken mirror, I am just waiting for that to come. Once I take it apart, I will send you a picture of it

2 hours ago, yyarm said:

I bought a broken mirror, I am just waiting for that to come. Once I take it apart, I will send you a picture of it

Cool, collaboration is the way forward. See if you can improvise a tool to remove pivot bush without damaging it. I was thinking, depin cable out the way. Then use nut bolt and washers to compress bush and spring, and oil before turning.

Below is a pair of candidate folding motors for about £30 delivered. The good thing is they have detailed pictures with dimensions taken with a digital gauge, to see if it will fit the auris. Useful info, once the wing mirror carcass is opened up.

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! 
£14.19 | Car Part Rearview Mirror Motor Side Mirror Base Folding Actuator For Peugeot Citroen C4L 3008  Citroen
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EumaELX

And the bush pin dimensions for comparison.

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! 
£3.35 | Side Wing Mirror Folding Bracket Gear Bearing Sleeve Repair Part For Renault Clio 4 Megane 3 4 Kangoo Citroen C4 Picasso
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EJVrJn3

Improvised compression tool with a selection of washer sizes ready. Flat bar washer should provide surrounding free space to rotate pivot after being compressed.

Compress_20240402_190420_0151.jpg

Compress_20240402_190419_9538.jpg

• Like 1

You were right. You need to compress the spring and turn the bearing sleeve at the same time. I ended up using a carpenter clamp and turning it with a screwdriver. The sleeve and the motor are the same as on your picture. The only problem is that the plastic housing is slightly different. They've made every possible attempt to make it as much awkward as possible. The LH side housing number is 2049.3043 for the one with motor and 2049.3045 for the basic one . Try to find it

IMG_20240404_200516.jpg

1 hour ago, yyarm said:

You were right. You need to compress the spring and turn the bearing sleeve at the same time. I ended up using a carpenter clamp and turning it with a screwdriver. The sleeve and the motor are the same as on your picture. The only problem is that the plastic housing is slightly different. They've made every possible attempt to make it as much awkward as possible. The LH side housing number is 2049.3043 for the one with motor and 2049.3045 for the basic one . Try to find it

IMG_20240404_200516.jpg

Thank you!

Holding on the left: manual folding: 2049.3043

Holding on the right: electric folding 2049.3045

Do you have the contained motor assembly? Does that look to be the same as the aliexpress substituute?

What i dont understand is how 3045 was held together, with the pivot bush and spring.are the bush and springs the same? More pictures please of the motor unit, underside and how it assembles.

Some dremel action comes to mind 😀 do you forsee any issues with the dimensions of the two? Could this work?

3045 is on the left as well, just power folding. The motor and the pivot are exactly the same as from AliExpress. The trouble will be to fix the motor in 3043, there is no holes for the screws and you will have to file it inside. Pivot just locks inside of the bottom bit

17123419550667171631090605872344.jpg

1712341974385506182488739599816.jpg

44 minutes ago, yyarm said:

3045 is on the left as well, just power folding. The motor and the pivot are exactly the same as from AliExpress. The trouble will be to fix the motor in 3043, there is no holes for the screws and you will have to file it inside. Pivot just locks inside of the bottom bit

17123419550667171631090605872344.jpg

Thanks for the extra photos, all makes sense now. You saved me taking mines apart yet again. Bonus was you had an original electric Shell of 3043 to compare with.

When you took yours apart did you remove the three screws first or were you able to take apart with the screws in situ?

I think its do-able with a dremel, hot glue and screws.

Will take a punt on it and order a pair of motors. 

First compress and twist it, remove the pivot, then you will have access to the screws. Just apply pressure to the top of the pivot (not to the spring, don't repeat my mistake, lost hours) it will go in, and then twist it. 

Did you remove the cable from the bush hole first? Or did you compress/remove the bush with the cable in situ?

Can the cable connector pass through the bush hole readily, or did it need de-pinning? If so, which connector end did you de-pin?

Please keep us updated on your upgrade. I am assuming you are replacing both wing mirrors with salvaged spares. What trim model is your auris? What did you use for your control switch?  Did you need to do the cable runs?

I placed my order for a pair of folding motors, so will hopefully update in a few weeks time.

You need to remove the cable first. One of the plugs is too big, so you need to de-pin it. My Auris is 2017 model. I bought a plug and play kit from Aliexpress. It has an ECU and all the wires. Also it has connectors and a control unit. Installed it today, works perfectly. Wish you good luck with yours. 

Glad to hear you are up and running.

The kit you bought seems to provide the "fold on lock" feature. There are other similar ECU kits for this, but are not plug and play for the Auris like the one you used.

I may look into that once i have the basic manually switched fold/unfold mechanism working. Not something i really need right now. 

Still waiting on the slow boat/plane from China for the folding motors to arrive.

On 3/24/2024 at 11:33 AM, solero said:

Sun was shining so got up an hour early to investigate.

Steps:

Tweeters off, door card off, unplugged, wing mirror removed.

Mirror face upwards max, and levered out using pry tool. 3 Motor screws out, indicator off.

2 of the 3 screws on the swivel base cam put, but 3rd was not easily accessible. I do think the spring needs to be compressed before the pivot pin will come out. But its a very very strong spring.

Time was running out as car was needed later. I think you are right that this motor will not fit in. There seems to be a moulded cavity behind the mirror for an actuator, but its blocked off. Car reassembled.

Disappointed, but wont give up yet. A battle for another day. If anybody has a broken unwanted wing mirror, do let me know.

Photos attached, should this help anybody needing to take mirror apart.

Compress_20240324_111956_6660.jpg

Compress_20240324_111956_6149.jpg

I need to replace the entire passenger-side power folding mirror unit. Some hoodied amoeba on a bicycle took hefty swips at mine and other door mirrors in stationary traffic so the power fold doesn't work and the mirror turns in at motorway speeds. So from the point of view of what to expect when removing the inner door this is heplful, thank you. Did you need to disconnect the Battery (re. the airbag)?

5 hours ago, PEL2112UK said:

I need to replace the entire passenger-side power folding mirror unit. Some hoodied amoeba on a bicycle took hefty swips at mine and other door mirrors in stationary traffic so the power fold doesn't work and the mirror turns in at motorway speeds. So from the point of view of what to expect when removing the inner door this is heplful, thank you. Did you need to disconnect the battery (re. the airbag)

Sorry to hear about your wing mirror encounter.

Steps

1. Prise off mini speaker and unplug

2.Door card off (prise plastic handle, remove 2 screws +  under door lever cap). Prise door switch panel and disconnect plug. Pull off door card starting at bottom and lift upwards.

2. Unplug wing mirror

3. Remove 3 wing mirror nuts

4. .Prise off wing cover.

5. Replace/repair wing mirror.

6. Reassemble

Best disconnect Battery as you could get a obd fault flagged on disconnecting door control panel. It may not show as check engine light, but will show up in ecu history. Airbag is unaffected.

• Like 2

On 4/12/2024 at 7:39 PM, yyarm said:

That was the kit I bought. It might be useful for someone else. I had to swap the blue and green wires, I believe it was made for Asian market, they use different manufacturer.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006205522691.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.47.317a1802ZikPSS 

Did you get the complete kit or just wiring kit?

As for the complete kit, was it straight forward. I'm guessing the final price had vat Inc, so around 150?

2 hours ago, farenheit said:

Did you get the complete kit or just wiring kit?

As for the complete kit, was it straight forward. I'm guessing the final price had vat Inc, so around 150?

Just the wiring kit. The mirrors used for European  market are different to the ones in Asia. The complete kit is not good for us

5 hours ago, yyarm said:

Just the wiring kit. The mirrors used for European  market are different to the ones in Asia. The complete kit is not good for us

Thanks

Just so I get this right, you got the wiring kit from that link and set of used folding mirrors?

I think I may do that 😀 

9 hours ago, farenheit said:

Thanks

Just so I get this right, you got the wiring kit from that link and set of used folding mirrors?

I think I may do that 😀 

That is correct. You will also need to get power folding 9 pin mirrors, make sure you don't buy ones for LHD cars as they most likely won't fit. The kit folds mirrors when you lock the car and unfolds them when you turn on the ignition. I just had to connect the blue/green wires of the kit to the green/blue wires of the mirrors .  

• Like 1

Just now, yyarm said:

That is correct. You will also need to get power folding 9 pin mirrors, make sure you don't buy ones for LHD cars as they most likely won't fit. The kit folds mirrors when you lock the car and unfolds them when you turn on the ignition. I just had to connect the blue/green wires of the kit to the green/blue wires of the mirrors .  

Thanks for this, time to look for some local breakers. Is the wiring straight forward enough?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links