Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Prius 2020 Apple Car play not showing and also no WiFi

PAUL7331

Hi guys,

just recently purchased a Prius (registered sept 2020) and for the life of me I cannot seem to be able to get Apple CarPlay working despite this being shown as ‘installed’ on the specifications list.

my head unit is the basic Toyota touch 2 17TDT1EU-DA01

Also I’ve noticed that when I try and find WiFi connections none exist - does my head units software need  upgrading? If so will a Toyota main dealer do this for me for free?

Think you will find you can only connect to it via a lead, not wifi/BT etc

23 minutes ago, Parts-King said:

Think you will find you can only connect to it via a lead, not wifi/BT etc

I have tried this too with a USB cable but there is no Apple CarPlay icon displayed anywhere!

my gut feeling is that it requires a software update?

Or it is not installed at all. Some head units could not have it, if that is the case, no software update will cure that. Pop it into your dealer and get them to check for you 

• Thanks 1

2020 was the crossover year for CarPlay installation. Your sept registration vehicle could have been made months earlier and used the previous batches unit. If you are unlucky you will have a MY19 Prius , which has no CarPlay you are out of luck.

There are three giveaways if it is installed. Look in the center console storage and there will be a Wi-Fi unit (this is for the telematics and internet access only NOT CarPlay connection, that is not supported.  if you are not bonded to a phone It is very expensive to run on the Toyota data plan. Telematics does not need a data plan btw). This was added post MY19.
Second, The usb connection has a Aux in connector in the same mounting. This is not present in the MY20.

The last giveaway is in the settings for “default internet connection” CarPlay will be shown as an option. If it is not there again the model is a MY19

i have owned both models and my main drive to upgrade my perfectly good MY19 on PCP was CarPlay.

it is indeed “wired only” but I use a Carlinkit 2air v5 adapter to give the Prius Wireless CarPlay..

i was advised by a dealer that there was no software upgrade option for MY19 the whole unit would have to be replaced…

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Paul john said:

2020 was the crossover year for CarPlay installation. Your sept registration vehicle could have been made months earlier and used the previous batches unit. If you are unlucky you will have a MY19 Prius , which has no CarPlay you are out of luck.

There are three giveaways if it is installed. Look in the center console storage and there will be a Wi-Fi unit (this is for the telematics and internet access only NoT CarPlay connection, that is not supported.  if you are not bonded to a phone It is very expensive to run on the Toyota data plan. Telematics does not need a data plan). This was added post MY19.
Second, The usb connection has a Aux in connector in the same mounting. This is not present in the MY19.

The last giveaway is in the settings for “default internet connection” CarPlay will be shown as an option. If it is not there again the model is a MY19

i have owned both models and my main drive to upgrade my perfectly good MY19 on PCP was CarPlay.

it is indeed “wired only” but I use a Carlinkit 2air v5 adapter to give the Prius Wireless CarPlay..

i was advised by a dealer that there was no software upgrade option for MY19 the whole unit would have to be replaced…

Thanks mate.

i do have a AUX near the USB port but in internet options there’s definitely nothing showing CarPlay - I feel like I’ve been conned a little to be fair as on the spec sheet it clearly showed this model as having Apple CarPlay!

So my only option then is to have a fresh unit fitted? I guess Toyota won’t do this for me without charge!

20 minutes ago, PAUL7331 said:

Thanks mate.

i do have a AUX near the USB port but in internet options there’s definitely nothing showing CarPlay - I feel like I’ve been conned a little to be fair as on the spec sheet it clearly showed this model as having Apple CarPlay!

So my only option then is to have a fresh unit fitted? I guess Toyota won’t do this for me without charge!

Sounds like MY19 to me. That’s a tricky question to answer.

Look at the paperwork carefully and if they state that it is a MY20 model ( sometimes this is in the Model description ) . That would give you some leverage for a Miss-Selling if they provided a MY19. It’s not just the head unit but there is extra electronics also. A new Toyota unit needs to be registered to the vin of the car so is problematic if not done by a dealer. 
there are aftermarket units (non Toyota) which claim compatibility with the steering wheel controls etc, but i have no experience of those.  
try approaching the dealer directly and see if they can obtain another vehicle and swap them. 
or if you are within your 2 week “cool-down” period throw the vehicle back at them for a full refund. 

what colour did you get btw?

13 minutes ago, Paul john said:

Sounds like MY19 to me. That’s a tricky question to answer.

Look at the paperwork carefully and if they state that it is a MY20 model ( sometimes this is in the Model description ) . That would give you some leverage for a Miss-Selling if they provided a MY19. It’s not just the head unit but there is extra electronics also. A new Toyota unit needs to be registered to the vin of the car so is problematic if not done by a dealer. 
there are aftermarket units (non Toyota) which claim compatibility with the steering wheel controls etc, but i have no experience of those.  
try approaching the dealer directly and see if they can obtain another vehicle and swap them. 
or if you are within your 2 week “cool-down” period throw the vehicle back at them for a full refund. 

what colour did you get btw?

Thanks mate. I can’t / don’t really want to return it though as I’m getting it taxi plated next week to use as a private hire vehicle and the wheels are already in motion (excuse the pun) with having a specific taxi MOT done on this actual vehicle so I can’t really.

I purchased the car from Sturgess in Leicester and I had great service so no qualms there, it’s just that when I checked this car it was indeed down as a 2020 registered Prius (sept 2020) so Apple CarPlay was a ‘given’ as far as I was concerned as it clearly displayed this on the Prius spec sheets I obtained from Toyota website.

In hindsight maybe I should have checked but I didn’t check other obvious features such as the heated seats etc as again, they have them as listed in the spec sheet.

i went for the blue colour.

I’ve contacted Toyota via their ‘contact us’ website section but maybe I’m best to call my local Toyota main dealer (I’m based in Nottingham) and see if they can assist?

10 minutes ago, PAUL7331 said:

Thanks mate. I can’t / don’t really want to return it though as I’m getting it taxi plated next week to use as a private hire vehicle and the wheels are already in motion (excuse the pun) with having a specific taxi MOT done on this actual vehicle so I can’t really.

I purchased the car from Sturgess in Leicester and I had great service so no qualms there, it’s just that when I checked this car it was indeed down as a 2020 registered Prius (sept 2020) so Apple CarPlay was a ‘given’ as far as I was concerned as it clearly displayed this on the Prius spec sheets I obtained from Toyota website.

In hindsight maybe I should have checked but I didn’t check other obvious features such as the heated seats etc as again, they have them as listed in the spec sheet.

i went for the blue colour.

I’ve contacted Toyota via their ‘contact us’ website section but maybe I’m best to call my local Toyota main dealer (I’m based in Nottingham) and see if they can assist?

Good luck on getting it resolved. 
the dark “phantom blue” or the lighter “blue crush”?

7 minutes ago, Paul john said:

Good luck on getting it resolved. 
the dark “phantom blue” or the light blue metallic?

Light blue metallic I believe mate. Sort of light blue anyway. Logbook just says ‘blue’ 😂

7 minutes ago, PAUL7331 said:

The fact it was first registered in 2020 doesn't necessarily mean that it was MY2020, and the spec displayed on the Toyota website is neither here nor there. Assuming the website spec applied to the car you bought, is an issue.

Your contract is with Sturgess. So did Sturgess Toyota state it had Apple Carplay??  In which case you may have some grounds to challenge. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, PAUL7331 said:

Light blue metallic I believe mate. Sort of light blue anyway. Logbook just says ‘blue’ 😂

That’s a shame as that colour is available for both years whereas the darker colour only on the MY20

i had that colour.  I don’t suppose your interior is in white?

one thing you will notice is that colour does not show up the dirt at all. so no need for regular Sunday cleaning lol. 

Prius2019.pdf Prius2021.pdf

13 minutes ago, Paul john said:

That’s a shame as that colour is available for both years whereas the darker colour only on the MY20

i had that colour.  I don’t suppose your interior is in white?

one thing you will notice is that colour does not show up the dirt at all. so no need for regular Sunday cleaning lol. 

Prius2019.pdf 3.36 MB · 2 downloads Prius2021.pdf 2.76 MB · 2 downloads

Mine is the ‘blue crush’ one looking at the attached. Interior is black.

Good news about the dirt not showing - very happy with that 😁

The spec sheet which led me to falsely believe that it had Apple CarPlay is attached.

Prius specs 2020.pdf

28 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The fact it was first registered in 2020 doesn't necessarily mean that it was MY2020, and the spec displayed on the Toyota website is neither here nor there. Assuming the website spec applied to the car you bought, is an issue.

Your contract is with Sturgess. So did Sturgess Toyota state it had Apple Carplay??  In which case you may have some grounds to challenge. 

I don’t know now as the original listing is gone as car sold.

They did list it as a 2020 Prius though that much I know and that’s what I went off.

1 minute ago, PAUL7331 said:

I don’t know now as the original listing is gone as car sold.

They did list it as a 2020 Prius though that much I know and that’s what I went off.

On an additional note. The Qi charger is overly sensitive to the magnets in any “MagSafe” iPhone and will cut out because it thinks you have left your keys on the charging pad. lol. 
I don’t use that pad, I instead have mounted a mag safe charging disk on the pad with double sided stick-on Velcro and plug that into the 12v socket via a car adapter that is fast charge compliant…

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, PAUL7331 said:

Legally the year of car is when it is first registered for use on the road - so as your car was first registered in September 2020, legally it is a 2020 car. 

The model year is different.

The same applies to any make of car.

Spec sheets are notoriously flakey, they are produced by the reg number inputted into the likes of Autotrader when they upload the car. You should ALWAYS be very specific when buying ANYTHING if it is really important to you. A spec sheet will invariably have a disclaimer on it, even if just E&OE (errors and omissions excepted) Just like brochures for cars that often includes a spec that might not be specific in your country. If you bought it on the fact you specifically asked the question then you would have some redress, but not if you didn't ask 

• Like 1

Lesson learnt, thanks for all of the responses guys.

Anybody had the basic Touch 2 (non go) version and successfully had a new head unit fitted which supports Apple Car play? If so are the results good?

Does the DAB still work and all features of the touch 2 with the improved head unit which supports apple-car play retrofitted?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links