Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Smith & Allan engine oil

Kmac888

hello everyone I've just bought a 2014 Mk2 Aygo 61k on the clock and want to use the oil recommended by Toyota- 0w20. I've stumbled accross Smith & Allen which seem very cheap. From a google search they have been going since 1925 and have a lot of positive comments. Has anyone used this oil on their cars and would you recommended it? thanks

Personal I would use the make recommend by toyota never heard of Smith and Allen 

I use it in my motor bikes. They make very good two stroke oil, I have used that for years but started using their 20w50 a few years ago in my four strokes.

No problems but not really a comment on their more modern stuff. The stuff I use really is the most basic of oil.

I would not have any problem using their more modern stuff but I am definitely old school and prefer more changes than more expensive oil.

I use many years Liqui Moly 10W-40 A3/84 Super Leichtlauf oil.

10w40 is a long way from 0w20. I've already decided to follow Toyota's requirements for 0w20.....my question was more on the quality of Smith & Allan

Unfortunately I have no direct experience or knowledge to add to the debate, but....

Unless I'm missing something when any car manufacturer quotes a spec for, say, oil then any (oil) manufacturer's products that meet that spec is OK. I've used many different oils in my many decades of car & bike ownership - several run into 6 figures - and have never had any issues.

This post from Frostyballs makes interesting reading:

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/tutorials/article/36-engine-oil-recommendations/

Having said that I know a chartered engineer who was directly involved in the oil selection for a specific vehicle they were working on and they will only use one manufacture's products for their personal vehicles. Note - oil manufacturer, not vehicle manufacturer.

I wonder how much is the smoke and mirrors of advertising and marketing?

You pays your money and takes your choice. 🙂

Andy.

• Thanks 1

I would also look at Westway lubricants.....https://www.westwayoils.co.uk/

Ive just edited my post as thought it was Smith and Allen. Its all made to a spec and you just pay extra for the fancy packaging and advertising. I used to work for a certain government agency and at the time they said Halfords was as good as any but to make sure the spec is right. I dont know why people spend £40 for 5l in these rattle boxes.

The difference between Smith & Allan and Westway, is that the former is a manufacturer and the latter a distributor. So Westway sell lubricants which they either repackage or are packaged for them.

As long as oils bought meet Toyota's spec (ie the correct grade and to either API SL, SM, SN or SP), you should be OK.

• Thanks 1

Liqui Moly Super Leichtlauf 10W-40 is approved API SN.

the smith & allan label says Momentum 0w20 C5 (2016) SN

fully synthetic

API SN

I'm lost after the "0w20" is this ok for 2014 mk2 augo?

Screenshot_20240207_185013_Chrome.jpg

C5 is the ACEA (European Automobile Manufacturers Association) classification.

Toyota use the API (American Petroleum Institute) standards, so as the Smith & Allan oil is SN, that's fine for your Aygo.

• Thanks 1

I use cheap oil all the time and (touch wood) haven't ran into any problems.

As for the Smith & Allan oil, it does have the specification and it is a British company, I would certainly give it a try.

Too bad I've over stock my oil right now with the Mannol 0w20 C5 (5 x 5L sat in the garage), so I'm not going to buy more oil anytime soon.

Note:  Engine oil typically have a shelf life of 5 years.  Also, Engine oil price is closely related to Crude oil price.  So when crude oil price falls you would expect Engine oil's price fall not long after.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links