Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Prius priced from £37,515

FROSTYBALLS

Thanks. Been looking ahead to that coming out, plus the price point - though I guess even with an extra capacity on the Battery range it's half-half on whether it's worth upgrading.

I saw the Autocar announcement early this morning but that web page has since disappeared.

Maybe they broke an embargo on the news by mistake?

Ha, I just posted the below on an existing post... I will mark it for deletion.

I see that Autocar released the price of the 5th Gen, but when you click the link I get page not found. 🤔

image.thumb.png.93c7ce7346a8cb6333d5728d09b743b1.png

From £37515, so I think it could be entry model under £40K to avoid the luxury tax and then a higher spec one possibly over £40K to get all the goodies?....., but I don't think that is bad for a plug-in

2 hours ago, Harters said:

Ha, I just posted the below on an existing post... I will mark it for deletion.

I see that Autocar released the price of the 5th Gen, but when you click the link I get page not found. 🤔

image.thumb.png.93c7ce7346a8cb6333d5728d09b743b1.png

From £37515, so I think it could be entry model under £40K to avoid the luxury tax and then a higher spec one possibly over £40K to get all the goodies?....., but I don't think that is bad for a plug-in

If anybody gets to know how much the different grades of the new Prius are especially the Excel please let us have the info. I would hope there’s a decent grade below £40,000 because I’d rather not pay the luxury tax.

It’s about time the government increased the purchase price level at which the luxury tax is charged especially with inflation over the last couple of years, making the cost of many cars which are hardly luxury vehicles well over £40,000. We can live in hope!

• Like 5

So, just as I thought, if you don’t mind small wheels and a lack of goodies it’s under £40k, but if you want the looks and kit you get clobbered by the excess tax 🙄

That’s probably going to be a no for me then, shame!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ridiculous. So basically more expensive than a Mercedes A Class 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Harters said:

So, just as I thought, if you don’t mind small wheels and a lack of goodies it’s under £40k, but if you want the looks and kit you get clobbered by the excess tax 🙄

That’s probably going to be a no for me then, shame!

Same here. Shame really because the cost of the Excel appears to be only just over £40,000. If Toyota really want to sell the Excel, they need to bring the price down below £40,000, after all it’s not rocket science !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just for info, the price that determines the additional VED (aka as the luxury car tax), is the list price, including options ordered, at the time of first registration, rather than the list price when the order is placed.

So if the list price increases between placing the order and the date the car is first registered the additional VED is payable (from the second year).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, BhxTrev said:

Same here. Shame really because the cost of the Excel appears to be only just over £40,000. If Toyota really want to sell the Excel, they need to bring the price down below £40,000, after all it’s not rocket science !

This might be one reason they initially decided against selling it in the UK. I still applaud them for changing their minds. At that price, at least you won't see every single taxi driver driving the same car as you in the first five years. :)

The 40k tax limit needs to be adjusted anyway. It's no longer a representative limit for 'luxury' cars.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Just for info, the price that determines the additional VED (aka as the luxury car tax), is the list price, including options ordered, at the time of first registration, rather than the list price when the order is placed.

So if the list price increases between placing the order and the date the car is first registered the additional VED is payable (from the second year).

Ack, they really need to change that as it makes buying cars near the threshold a big risk. It's bizarre the Prius could be considered a luxury car now :laugh: I feel that wasn't what that tax bracket was supposed to be for... then again maybe that was the plan all along...

• Like 1

I think it’s up to Toyota to get the price of the Prius Excel down well below the ludicrous £40,000 price tag. Just watch the cars fly off the shelves so to speak since most serious Prius drivers aspire to have the Excel & that would give them every reason to buy the new Prius. Toyota might then see a resurgence of the popularity of the Prius especially with the extended range of 44 to 53 miles on pure electric plus the normal hybrid back up for higher mileages, not to mention the increased power & performance, an absolute win win then for Toyota. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Two models available:

Design from £37315

• New 17” alloy

• New LED Bi-Pes & full LED RCL

• Auto folding mirror w/ BSM+SEA

• Smart entry with push button start

• Privacy glass

• Sporty fabric seat w/ lumbar support

• Synthetic leather steering wheel

• 12.3" Multimedia with Smart Connect + Navigation and remote services

• Digital cockpit

• Latest TSS3

• Parking sensors with obstacle, vehicle and pedestrian detection and reversing camera

• Dual Zone AC with Nanoe-X

• Blue ambient lighting (lightguide)

• 2 rear USB ports

Excel from £39955

In addition to Design:

• 19" Wheel

• Rear high LED lights

• High LED indicators

• Synthetic leather seats

• 8 Way power adjustable memory seats

• Heated/Ventilated front seats

• Power sliding / Reclining driver seat 

• Digital rear view mirror

• Power back door

Order books open 04/03/2024 Demos in dealers late May early June and deliveries from July

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not too sure whether it's tempting, or not.....

I have to make a decision on my current 70 plate in May.

The Autocar news item has reappeared…. It states The range now starts at £39,995……. 

• Like 2

Interesting the earlier link showed the Excel to be just over the 40K, so it's good that it is actually under, but it just takes one option e.g metallic paint and you get clobbered.

Wonder if they will still have the free flat white that I have now.....  Don't think I would risk it though as just as @FROSTYBALLS says, it only needs a price increase between order and registration to take it over the 40K.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The official press release is now on Toyota Media:

https://media.toyota.co.uk/toyota-announces-all-new-prius-plug-in-range-and-pricing/

"The launch line-up for Prius Plug-in comprises two versions: Design (OTR price £37,315) and Excel (£39,955)."

I'm appalled to hear that the Excel has 19" wheels! 

• Like 2

For the record: Today's press release from Toyota GB has prices and specs, confirming Devon Aygo's data.

Looks like the Design should be sufficient. I don't think Toyota should sell themselves cheap. Prius has become a sub brand and they will do well riding that wave. Remember, this Prius is different from previous generations. Gone are the cheap torsion beam rear suspension, lethargic performance, and minuscule brakes. They have spent more on making this a better, more engaging experience for those that appreciate it. It aspires to more than being just a transit appliance for the masses. You can enjoy driving AND be kinder to the planet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I reckon they should sell the top end with the smaller rims and use the cost saved as headroom for either a colour choice or an options pack! I bet that would make it a LOT more attractive to potential buyers.

Actually, are there any option packs for the new Prius?

Or any of the new models for that matter?

I was looking at the MY24 Mk4 Yaris (That 130 is still tempting meeee...) and it seems none of the stuff I got for mine - e.g. the extra trims, the protection+ pack - are selectable for it?? :confused1:

The new Prius just sounds very cool though - If I didn't need a small car I'd be very tempted! The PHEV part would let me dip my toe in the EV world; I could probably get to work on just the electric and only run the petrol for the rest of the day and trip home!

• Like 2

It's all a matter of preference, but I think it looks pretty ordinary on the 17inch wheels and takes away from the amazing looks in my opinion, especially if they are black wheel covers like they have in the US.

image.thumb.png.a2477d10d6dfc4889bd421787c6c2bc4.png

Wheels make such a huge difference on a car, just like my Gen 4 looks so much better on 17's than the 15's and it still gives a great ride and fantastic fuel economy.

Not worth upgrading for me. If it is wider than the gen 4 I could not get it into my garage. Also my gen 4 is still immaculate. Also you have to consider insurance cost. Nice spec car but very high price.

I took out a BZ4X this afternoon for a test drive and although it was a nice car and rode very well on its 20” wheels, it felt lovely to get back in ‘Percy’ 😀

It’s only done 22,000 miles and is in immaculate condition, so no need to change, but it’s nice to explore 👍

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links