Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Nextbase 380GWX issues

gvurrdon

A Nextbase 380GWX was fitted to my Yaris when I bought it less than 6 months ago (at not inconsiderable cost) and due to the faff of connecting to it I have unfortunately neglected to look at it until now. I was prompted to today by seeing an incident I thought might require keeping the video.

According to the manual at https://cdn.nextbase.co.uk/manuals/B4A2C8E8-1697-4A35-B921-2A86A99F6324/NBDVR380GWXRCB - Instruction Manual (English R12).pdf  there's a default password, but that's not accepted by the camera. A firmware update looks easy enough and can reset the password, but when my local dealer installed the camera they used the anti-tamper fittings so I can't get into it without breaking the casing. I'd like them to re-install it properly so I can access it but, meanwhile, if anyone has got one of these and has found a different default password from the one given in the user manual I'd be very interested to know.

Hi Gvurrdon, Obviously the idea of the anti tamper covers is to prevent theft and misuse etc. I do not believe that an alternative password is possibly without a software update as an alternative password except for the default 12345678 would render the dash cam security open.

I would suggest you contact Nextbase explain the situation and they will talk you through the reset procedures. Whilst the covers protect the reset button they can have their downside when this situation happens.:smile:

Thanks for replying.

My "threat model" would be other drivers crashing into me so I don't particularly want something I can't access and would have told Toyota to not lock it down if they had asked me.

What I meant by alternative password is the possibility that Toyota dealers change the password when installing the camera. If anyone had encountered this then it might give me a clue as to how to proceed (i.e. persuade the dealer to tell me what password they used). Certainly, 12345678 is not accepted by the camera.

It should not have been changed from the default password, it's up to you to change it. Go back to the dealer to get it sorted. In the meantime you could take the SD card out and view it on a PC 

I believe the lock function is for commercial use, hire car or company.  Password security should not be an issue, it's a pain to log in.  The WiFi range is short. You need access to the camera to start its wifi.   It is not easy to log on.  Finally, what benefit from hacking it?

@Parts-King as far as I can tell, to take the SD card out I'd have to break the camera's casing as the dealer has locked it with tamper-resistant screws. I will be going back to the dealer (and I don't expect them to charge me for fixing their mistake), but if I'm unlucky then breaking the casing will be what I'll have to do.

@Roy124 I wondered if it was intended for a purpose such as that. Re. changing the password, I've not pressed that wifi button until now so the password is very unlikely to have changed since I bought the car.

1 hour ago, gvurrdon said:

@Parts-King as far as I can tell, to take the SD card out I'd have to break the camera's casing as the dealer has locked it with tamper-resistant screws. I will be going back to the dealer (and I don't expect them to charge me for fixing their mistake), but if I'm unlucky then breaking the casing will be what I'll have to do.

Ah sorry I misunderstood, that is poor, take it back and get it sorted out, there is a little screwdriver with the kit for scre wing those side plates in. Swear filter thought to screw something in was wrong 🤣🤣

image.thumb.png.75f209ff759a7a8b32b48a9f8c6959ea.png

Mine was default password and security screws etc in the box for me to use if I choose. 

As others have said, take it back to the dealer and get them to sort it out. 

You can buy the anti tamper screwdriver online. Once you have this, you can remove the screws that hold the covers in place an access the SD card. If I remember correctly, the screws have a triangular "slot", rather then the pozi, phillips, or flat found on most screws.

When the 380GW was fitted to our Yaris, we were given the plain covers, as well as the tamper proof covers. I use the tamper proof covers when the Yaris goes in to the Dealer. This prevents then from turning off the camera. I also insist that the camera stays on while the car is there, and they are made aware of this when the car is dropped off.

triangular_screwdriver.jpg

I never really got the point of anti-tamper screws - I have a full set of bits for almost every type of anti-tamper screw, so they're not really preventing people like me from tampering with them :laugh: 

Just now, Cyker said:

I never really got the point of anti-tamper screws - I have a full set of bits for almost every type of anti-tamper screw, so they're not really preventing people like me from tampering with them :laugh: 

Same as me. As you say, how do they really stop someone who is determined to get them loose

16 hours ago, Big_D said:

I use the tamper proof covers when the Yaris goes in to the Dealer. This prevents then from turning off the camera.

I also insist that the camera stays on while the car is there, and they are made aware of this when the car is dropped off.

triangular_screwdriver.jpg

I am sure they have the necessary screwdriver.  Do they leave it connected then?

What cheeses me off is they don't refit it.   Once I could not find it after I had driven home.

They should always refit it, but it will be turned off or removed in the service department. You cannot record an MOT taking place so most garages who follow the rules will remove the dash cam 

First service 2021 it was connected and I also got a video of the car on the ramp.   Next 2 services,  no video and camera not refitted.

They probably do have a screwdriver. My camera stays on, and isn't removed. This is something that the Workshop Manager and I have discussed, and they are OK with this.  

I've both booked the car in and ordered some appropriate screwdrivers from Amazon.

Interestingly, I was able to get an Android device to connect to the camera's wifi network using the default password. This doesn't help much as both me and my wife have iPhones, and the camera won't let these connect.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent alternative which doesn't have all this phone hassle? Perhaps the Toyota dealer might be persuaded to refund the cost of this not-fit-for-purpose camera so I can buy one at Halfords instead.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links