Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dampers - Yaris Hybrid

Tony Schuck

I have recently joined the Forum and am interested to know whether any other Yaris owning member has had this issue. On 8th January this year my Yaris excel with 12485 miles registered suffered a failure of dampers which obviously control suspension. It has been off the road ever since at my Toyota dealer in Tamworth. Toyota has given my a hire car which is ok but they are having difficulty with sourcing the part. Has any other member had this issue? If so how long did it take to address? This week I shall pay a visit fir an update. 

I have never had any failure issue in over 12 years of driving a Yaris and am obviously a little concerned about this issue particularly in respect to the time taken to enact a repair. Although I have no complaint re the dealer at this stage I am somewhat frustrated by the lack of progress in the matter. 

Do Toyota offer a Good Will gesture in such a scenario?

• Like 2

3rd attempt at replying

there is a TSB on the subject for some VINs you will have a fight on your hands as shocks are classed as a wear item

Toyota P/N 48530-K0080

Bilstein do list them - 19-329581

Supply chain issues have still been ongoing since 2020, In the last few years a lot QC has slipped in all industries

• Like 2

Ack that sucks... If you're in good with the dealer you can see if they'll speak to Toyota about a good will contribution, but the Relax warranty specifically excludes shocks and springs.

Actually, when was yours bought? If it was early 2021, it might still have the factory warranty on it like mine, as they used to have 5 year warranties back then, before they dropped it to 3 - The factory warranty is more comprehensive than the Relax and might include the shocks...?

• Like 2

Any part excluded from the manufacturer warranty can be replaced under same warranty if seen like “ premature wear” caused as a result of defective part or poor workmanship when the car was built in factory.
This will need to be proof and also the dealer goof will may play a role. In situations like that best way is to keep good relationship with the service manager and make them understand the issue and put them into your position for a moment, explain how frustrating is and how it’s exactly opposite experience from what we would expect from the brand, they will help and fix a new shocks under warranty very likely. 
Good luck 

• Like 2

Seems totally unbelievable that all 4 dampers can fail at exactly the same time.

Is there a Best Before Date on them?

• Haha 2

It is very unusual - Even in the pothole ridden hellscape I drive in regularly I've never had to change the shocks on any of the 3 Yarisusesieses I've owned, and my brother only had to replace the rear springs on my 1st one (Which he had bought off me several years prior) because one had sheared, but it was like 14-15 years old or something at that point!

• Like 2

The same for my old Yaris, driven on these bad roads these days, the car has 16-17 years old original shock absorbers 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, skidlid said:

Seems totally unbelievable that all 4 dampers can fail at exactly the same time.

Is there a Best Before Date on them?

op doesn't state, more than likely the rear pair i doubt they have failed completely either, just an over dramatic service writer or MOT tester

the related TSB is CP-00958T-TME

Oily appearance of rear shock absorbers

issued 13/10/23

ps. 2 new updates for the MM19

• Like 2

On 2/25/2024 at 12:11 PM, Tony Schuck said:

I have recently joined the Forum and am interested to know whether any other Yaris owning member has had this issue. On 8th January this year my Yaris excel with 12485 miles registered suffered a failure of dampers which obviously control suspension. It has been off the road ever since at my Toyota dealer in Tamworth. Toyota has given my a hire car which is ok but they are having difficulty with sourcing the part. Has any other member had this issue? If so how long did it take to address? This week I shall pay a visit fir an update.

I've installed Bilstein shocks all round on my Auris. After 33 thousand km, the rear Bilsteins have gone kaput. Late December, went to the shop and ordered original Toyota rear shocks for them to install. To this day, I'm still waiting for those things.

Many original parts are a pain to get nowadays. It's been almost two months, and I bet I will wait a bit more.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2024 at 5:08 PM, jcps001 said:

I've installed Bilstein shocks all round on my Auris. After 33 thousand km, the rear Bilsteins have gone kaput. Late December, went to the shop and ordered original Toyota rear shocks for them to install. To this day, I'm still waiting for those things.

Many original parts are a pain to get nowadays. It's been almost two months, and I bet I will wait a bit more.

in furtherance of my previous posting re the failed dampers on my 2021 Yaris Excel I have had an update today. The failed part is an Input Shaft Transmission damper which the dealer stated would cost thick end of £2000. 2 day job to drop engine out fit part and relocate engine. Total cost north of £5000. Thank God for 5 year warranty.

Car off road for over 8 weeks now and ETA of part now 12thMarch.

Toyota supported me with Enterprise car which is good but getting a bit frustrated with the wait. Dealer can’t be blamed and is sympathetic.

Has any other  member experienced such a problem with their 2021 Yaris? If so was their wait for replacement lengthy?

Dealer stated I’m not alone here but there is a parts paucity apparently.

The replacement Damper will be same as in more recent Yaris models .Apparently there have been no failures of this replacement part. It will have a “lifetime” warranty.

Must be very costly for Toyota world wide.

• Like 3

The engine damper are a known issue on the early mk4, they don't fail completely but so slip - so technically correct

I think the dealer is blowing smoke with the price of £600 or so for the damper no need to pull the engine just the gearbox maybe 8-10 hours work

• Like 1

They have to do it 'by the book' so wouldn't be surprised if the engine has to come out as it's quite an invasive procedure.

I had the error pop up too, but after the dealer reset the message I haven't had it since despite trying to provoke it :laugh: 

Annoyingly, they won't replace it for me now since they reset the code, as they didn't record it and can only act on the TSB if they record the code. I'm in two minds about it, as it would be better to get replaced, but frankly I feel the less invasive procedures they do to my car the longer it will live, as I don't trust them to put everything back together properly.

Fortunately there is an extended campaign out for it for the next 10 years so no owner who experiences it should be out of pocket, even if the car is out of warranty.

This is why I stick with Toyota - Compare with Ford and their refusal to issue a recall for their EcoBoom engines despite the fact it apparently can also cause the brakes to fail.

• Like 2

This is a classic - don’t diagnose it yourself, tell us the symptoms because I haven’t got a clue about cars.  We’ve gone from all four shock absorbers and “obviously a suspension handling problem” to a transmission damper that no matter how obtuse reasoned cannot possibly be connected but from the same soap box.  If you’re going to rant, get your facts right or at least pose it as a question rather than an entitled fact.  

• Like 3

With the state of the roads, in expecting to need suspension work soon enough

• Haha 2

Only 513?? I guess they won't be doing a recall for that here then! :laugh: 

That said, I've been able to wheelspin mine (Not on purpose! :fear: ) on several occasions when moving off briskly and still haven't had the error pop up again; Maybe it's self-tightened or it welded itself together the first time it happened :laugh: 

It seems a few people here had the problem once then never again before the TSB replacement campaign came up.

Still, got 10 years for it to be done under the extended warranty campaign for it so no worrying about it...

• Like 1

that only affects the japan built cars for the AU/NZ market

UK repair is an ECU update IIRC that drops the torque above a certain rpm

• Like 1

No we have damper plate slip issue too in the earlier cars - As I've said I've experienced it!

There was a TSB for replacing it here too, as it's not an engine torque issue; It can slip when there is a shock to the drivetrain, e.g. from a pothole while accelerating or braking, which a few people suggested might be what triggered it in mine, so an ECU update wouldn't do anything to mitigate it anyway. It'd be like trying to update the ECU to prevent a money shift - just not possible.

There was an ECU update for a related earlier issue though - In older firmwares the damper slip would cause the car to go into panic mode and shut down completely, which would also cut off the power steering and brake booster - Very bad if you're on a motorway, and at least one member with a Launch Edition experienced this! :eek: 

One of the earliest ECU updates was to change the behaviour so it behaved like it did in mine - Go into full christmas tree mode with the binging and warnings flashing and limp mode, but still allow full control of the car (Which I tested :naughty: :laugh: )

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links