Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Niggle

steviebe 65

I’m getting a jolt when I go from park to drive. This only happened occasionally and dealers said it does sometimes happen when it’s been stood for a reasonably long period of time. Now it seems to happen every time. Does anyone have experience of this and has anyone got a solution. Cheers

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Hi Stephen,

A jolt when shifting from park to drive, especially if it's become more frequent, is not normal . While dealerships sometimes encounter this issue in cars that have been sitting for a while, experiencing it every time isn't right.

The Possible Causes maybe.

Low transmission fluid: Check your transmission fluid level and condition according to your car's owner's manual. Low or dirty fluid can cause various transmission issues, including jerking.

Faulty transmission mounts: These rubber mounts hold the transmission in place and absorb vibrations. Worn or damaged mounts can lead to jolting during gear shifts.

Torque converter problems: The torque converter plays a crucial role in transmitting power from the engine to the transmission. Issues with it can cause jerking when shifting gears.

Other internal transmission problems: In some cases, the jerking might be caused by other internal issues within the transmission itself.

A number of issues can cause this but you need to take it back to the dealers now it is happening all the time. 😄

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, steviebe 65 said:

I’m getting a jolt when I go from park to drive.

Could you perhaps explain 'jolt' in more detail?

This is the eCVT in a hybrid that we are talking about ... I've noticed that if I try to shift from Park to D/R too quickly after starting the car it "doesn't want to go" - the solution is to pause half a second and be more deliberate. Otherwise, I can't say that I've noticed any such issue.

Clearly, my foot is firmly on the brake when I am shifting into and out of Park so there's no chance that the car is going to move ... but, as indicated, I suspect 'jolt' needs clarifying. 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi, engine running ( as you said it’s cvt, no cogs ) brake pedal pressed, shift release pushed home and then the jolt when i think about it comes on moving shifter out of park. Like its been pulled out of park against its will.

This may be a daft question so apologies if it is. When you park your car is it parked on an incline? I have noticed on the odd occasion when I have parked the car on any incline that the drive train tightens up and there is a noticeable noise when the drive selector is moved from P to D. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

On 3/2/2024 at 8:49 AM, steviebe 65 said:

I’m getting a jolt when I go from park to drive. This only happened occasionally and dealers said it does sometimes happen when it’s been stood for a reasonably long period of time. Now it seems to happen every time. Does anyone have experience of this and has anyone got a solution. Cheers

This happens occasionally to me. But only when my car is parked on my drive which is inclined. The incline is roughly equivalent to putting 2 to 3 house bricks under the front or back wheels. Probably feel it about one in four or five goes when on the drive. Never on the flat or near flat.

For me it's more of a slight clunk sound and feel. 

May be worth getting it checked out properly.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links