Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Replacing horn on a MK3: al lot of work?

Y_GR-S_2020

Hi forum members (m/f),

I always have had good two tone horns in my cars. But as known, the stock Toyota item is not really strong enough to warn a lorry driver that's leaving his lane. So i'd like to replace it with something better.

I bought a nice Hella Electronic set with 2 x 48W consumption, so the horn relay and 10Ah fuse will have no problems with it. And with a splitter it can be connected to the stock horn connector. 

But I discovered that it seems that the whole front part has to come off to reach the horn on the LH front side in front of the airco condensor. Am I correct? If so, then I'll schedule it in as a nice "summer" job.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance. 

Same on the Mk4 and the Cross.  Bumper off but I thought it was worth it.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Y_GR-S_2020 said:

Am I correct? If so, then I'll schedule it in as a nice "summer" job.

Yes, stay clear of lorries until summer - or better yet, all year round 🙂

• Haha 4

@anchorman 

Did you do it yourself or did you have it done by the dealers'? I know I'll probably do a better job than the dealers' mechanic under time pressure....😇
I've got the time to clean things up under the bumper/front. 

5 hours ago, Y_GR-S_2020 said:

@anchorman 

Did you do it yourself or did you have it done by the dealers'? I know I'll probably do a better job than the dealers' mechanic under time pressure....😇
I've got the time to clean things up under the bumper/front. 

Did it myself. I’m a mechanic by trade so bumper off is a piece of cake.  

IMG_4737.jpeg

IMG_4734.jpeg

IMG_4728.jpeg

• Like 2

I just fitted an additional horn in the engine bay.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bathtub tom said:

I just fitted an additional horn in the engine bay.

We'll consider that too. But still the wiring has to come off of the original horn. 

IMG_1902.JPG

IMG_1904.JPG

If you can access the wire, that will work but it isn’t doable with the latest dynamic force engine due to the unusual air intake which runs right across the top of the radiator.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Y_GR-S_2020 said:

We'll consider that too. But still the wiring has to come off of the original horn.

Why? I just teed it in to the original horn (gives a nice discordant blast).

• Like 1

😀 Dissonant horns, nice. I'm more a harmonious person 😉

When I've got the time and the weather is nice (moved a few years ago from a house with a garage to a house without garage....🙁), I'll get into it. 

First have to finish some 2 wheeled projects.....🏍️🏍️

Thanks for the input! 👍

For those who suggested that the bumper must be removed for the MK3 horn to be accessed, it is incorrect.

This can be done without removing the bumper! I'm unsure about the MK4, as it seems slightly different.

I have done it without removing the bumper. It was a bit cramped, but you can do it. It will save you from damaging things you don't want to do while removing the bumper.

All you need to do is take the clips off for the cover, and the plastic cover can be pulled out. 

image.thumb.png.0fdc213e2313e041948018040398e2d4.png

Thanks, I was wondering if I just could remove the clips in the top and move the top part a bit out of the way to make some room for the hands. Provided it's flexible enough, don't want stuff to break.

Mine's a mk3 hybrid.... A little less unused space under the hood.....😉 The bracket you see in the detail photo is the horn bracket.....

IMG_1907.JPG

IMG_1906.JPG

You can remove the clips and the cover as it is flexible enough. 

Mine is an MK3 from 2014, and all I can say is that it was easier for me to do it this way. It comes out pretty quickly, but it seems to be a bit trickier to put it back. 

Ultimately, it is your choice whether you want to remove the whole bumper or the plastic cover. From what I remember, two other plastic clips on each side are trickier to access but not impossible. I can't access the car now, but I can take some pictures later.

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, inteli7 said:

For those who suggested that the bumper must be removed for MK3 horn to be accessed is incorrect. Not sure about the MK4 as it seems to be slightly different.

I have done it without removing the bumper. I must admit it was a bit cramped, but you can definitely do it. It will save you from damaging things you don't want to do in the process of removing the bumper.

All you need to do is to take the clips off for the cover and the plastic cover can be pulled out. 

image.thumb.png.0fdc213e2313e041948018040398e2d4.png

Not sure anybody did.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2024 at 7:00 AM, anchorman said:

Not sure anybody did.

I am sorry. It seems that I am losing my mind! 😭

• Haha 1

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most 😁

• Haha 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links