Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Annoying Beeps - Help Please

Station

Hi All,

Picked my PHEV up yesterday and pretty chuffed overall with the drive / quality / equipment 👍

Only real annoyance is the constant beeping and chiming sounds with the speed recognition system.

Come in to a different speed limit = beep.

Exceed the speed limit (even when the car is showing incorrect limit) = beeps !

For the sake of my sanity, how do I switch them off please ??

Any help and guidance really appreciated.

• Like 1

On my ‘21 PHEV there is a menu setting that allowed me to set the over speed before the warning signal. I’ve set mine to +5mph as I’ve found that the speedo reads about 3 04 mph high. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ernieb said:

On my ‘21 PHEV there is a menu setting that allowed me to set the over speed before the warning signal. I’ve set mine to +5mph as I’ve found that the speedo reads about 3 04 mph high. 

Thanks for the reply, I’m slowly working through menus so will try and find that setting 👍

How strange.  Exactly the same question last week. 

9 hours ago, Roy124 said:

How strange.  Exactly the same question last week. 

Found it 👍

• Like 1

I also picked up my GR PHEV at the weekend, and love everything about it... except the incessant beeping!

As Station says, every speed restriction change beep, and then every time you spend more than 2 seconds doing 1 mph more than the road limit beep beepbeep. 
If I can't turn this off somehow, I'll have to disable the Speakers. It's quite distracting. 

Worse - going around a roundabout on a 40mph spine road, it 'sees' a 20 road sign on the entry to a road I'm not turning down, so the limit gets set to 20. 
It then beeps 3 times every 10 seconds or so for the length of the next road (could be 2 minutes of driving without another 40 sign) cos I'm doing say 35 in a 40. 

I need to find a solution to this. Then... I'll be happy with it. But only then 😞

• Like 1

Managed to locate what I'm after in the Owners Manual.
Though it doesn't show what options are available, nor whether they are retained through a switch off/on. 
I'll have a play when I get back to the car. Hopefully something in there can placate it somehow 🙄

RSA (Road Sign Assist) 
(if equipped) (P.366)
Select to set up the following items.
 Road Sign Assist on/off
Select to enable/disable the RSA sys-
tem.
 “Notification Method”
Select to change each notification 
method used to notify the driver when 
the system recognizes excess speed, 
no overtaking and no-entry sign.
 “Notification Level”
Select to change each notification level 
used to notify the driver when the sys-
tem recognizes a speed limit sign.*
 “Speed limit change alert”
Select to enable/disable the speed limit 
change notification.*
*: The customized setting varies 
according to country

First thing I did was switch the RSA thing off. Was way too unreliable.

How is the stereo now that it isn't a JBL?

I've got a 2021 R4P dynamic premium but switch end August to the GR Sport R4P. Company car gets cycled every 3 years.

Looking forward to seeing where its got better (suspension, infotainment, driver display, reversing camera, 360 camera, heated steering wheel) and also where it has got worse (like loss of the JBL which was below par already, loss of the cooled ventilated seats which I love in summer).

Is the 240V socket still in the boot along with a separate 12V socket?

Does it come with a mini net on the cubby on the right inside the boot?

@Nick72, +1, RSA is definitely not up to the job, often sees the lower speed restriction but never the revert to road limit.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, P_J said:

Managed to locate what I'm after in the Owners Manual.
Though it doesn't show what options are available, nor whether they are retained through a switch off/on. 
I'll have a play when I get back to the car. Hopefully something in there can placate it somehow 🙄

RSA (Road Sign Assist) 
(if equipped) (P.366)
Select to set up the following items.
 Road Sign Assist on/off
Select to enable/disable the RSA sys-
tem.
 “Notification Method”
Select to change each notification 
method used to notify the driver when 
the system recognizes excess speed, 
no overtaking and no-entry sign.
 “Notification Level”
Select to change each notification level 
used to notify the driver when the sys-
tem recognizes a speed limit sign.*
 “Speed limit change alert”
Select to enable/disable the speed limit 
change notification.*
*: The customized setting varies 
according to country

Just for info -

Tried adjusting, and switching off, but it defaults back to ON when you next start the vehicle.

Really has soured my experience so far as I find the beeps too distracting and it’s annoying not being able to personalise my car my way !

Hope it is somehow configurable to permanent off, as others have mentioned it is very inaccurate.

I will be asking the dealership for advice next.

Cheers 👍

14 hours ago, Nick72 said:

First thing I did was switch the RSA thing off. Was way too unreliable.

How is the stereo now that it isn't a JBL?

I've got a 2021 R4P dynamic premium but switch end August to the GR Sport R4P. Company car gets cycled every 3 years.

Looking forward to seeing where its got better (suspension, infotainment, driver display, reversing camera, 360 camera, heated steering wheel) and also where it has got worse (like loss of the JBL which was below par already, loss of the cooled ventilated seats which I love in summer).

Is the 240V socket still in the boot along with a separate 12V socket?

Does it come with a mini net on the cubby on the right inside the boot?

Sound system is good. I was worried coming from a car with a good quality Bose that the 'standard' Toyota offering would be subpar, but its not a disappointment at all thankfully. Also the lower overall in-car noise aids the audio too (with the exception of the stupid beeps, which is the only thing I'm unhappy about). 

Handling is good (imo) firm, prescise, though not tried the handling in Sport mode yet, just the power. 
Reversing camera 360 is great, very accurate (kids amazed you can see the driveway paving through the car image). 
Heating steering wheel is a bonus, though it'd have to be pretty cold for me to think of using it. 

There's a 230V socket in the boot, but circular plug - not sure I have anything to plug in it. 
No net in boot. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, P_J said:

Sound system is good. I was worried coming from a car with a good quality Bose that the 'standard' Toyota offering would be subpar, but its not a disappointment at all thankfully. Also the lower overall in-car noise aids the audio too (with the exception of the stupid beeps, which is the only thing I'm unhappy about). 

Handling is good (imo) firm, prescise, though not tried the handling in Sport mode yet, just the power. 
Reversing camera 360 is great, very accurate (kids amazed you can see the driveway paving through the car image). 
Heating steering wheel is a bonus, though it'd have to be pretty cold for me to think of using it. 

There's a 230V socket in the boot, but circular plug - not sure I have anything to plug in it. 
No net in boot. 

That's good to hear on both the ride quality and the stereo. Yes, circular European socket. I got a converter that plugs in and has a mains socket on it. I just leave it in because it's relatively flush. I think it might have been @ernieb that suggested it. Not that I've plugged anything in yet given the low wattage but may be useful one day. Shame about the lack of net in the cubby in the boot. Ideal little spot for plastic bottles of water. I may need to make something for that. 

My biggest disappointment with the 2021 PHEV was the shockingly bad reversing camera. VHS long play quality and the low resolution infotainment display. Had many company hire cars with low specs far from premium which were better. Plus coming from a high spec Merc also clouded my judgement. So I'm glad to hear this is now pretty good. I believe you can set it to come on automatically in 360 when driving at very low speed which for me is a huge benefit as I'm navigating cliff edges and low rocks on some of the mountain roads around the north Lake District where I spend a lot of time April to October.

Heated steering wheel a bonus as my hands and feet really feel the cold.

How is the MyT Toyota App as I believe you get extra functions?

Sorry to ask so many questions.

7 hours ago, Station said:

Just for info -

Tried adjusting, and switching off, but it defaults back to ON when you next start the vehicle.

Really has soured my experience so far as I find the beeps too distracting and it’s annoying not being able to personalise my car my way !

Hope it is somehow configurable to permanent off, as others have mentioned it is very inaccurate.

I will be asking the dealership for advice next.

Cheers 👍

I believe this is the new standard, not just Toyotas. You cannot turn these functions off permanently on new models, only on a journey by journey period. It was discussed somewhere else on here recently.

Google "Intelligent Speed Assistance" there is lots on it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nlee said:

I believe this is the new standard, not just Toyotas. You cannot turn these functions off permanently on new models, only on a journey by journey period. It was discussed somewhere else on here recently.

Thanks, I will take a look 👍

Here's a less than authoritative explanation from WBAC, and in a bit more detail from mapbox ... while not authoritative they are easier to understand than the raw legislation and, I believe, accurate.

The key points:

• These systems became mandatory for new models from 6th July 2022 and will become mandatory for all new cars sold from 7th July 2024. So, any current model RAV4 that will be on sale through this year will have the system fitted.
  • The system cannot rely on only a visual warning - it must have an audible or sensory warning built-in.
  • While the system can be configured by the driver, it must return to its default state each time the car is switched on.

So, we are condemned to live with such systems ...

Options:

1. Buy an older car like mine ... OK, perhaps a silly suggestion.
  2. Drive within the speed limits - after all that's what the system is encouraging us to do. It's a bit like the introductory of mandatory seat belts - those of us old enough to remember were up in arms about the "infringement of our liberties" but they are now an unobtrusive part of everyday motoring.
  3. Reconfigure the system every time you set off.
  4. Hope that the 'problem' can be resolved through personalisation - I'm not sure whether the Toyota systems are yet up to this. If you just step into the car and drive as a 'guest', the system must return to the default configuration. If you can effectively log-in to the car as a specific individual, the system should be able to automatically restore your stored driving preferences.

I don't have a fancy new car so I can't check out what is possible ... 😉

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Nick72 said:

Yes, circular European socket. I got a converter that plugs in and has a mains socket on it. I just leave it in because it's relatively flush.

I'll get me one of them. Never know when it might be handy. 

17 hours ago, Nick72 said:

Heated steering wheel a bonus as my hands and feet really feel the cold.

Only issue here would be emergency braking I guess. Getting your feet back down to the pedals in time. 

1 hour ago, philip42h said:

Hope that the 'problem' can be resolved through personalisation

I was thinking maybe that too, but whilst logged in, I set RSA to disabled. Stopped, and later restarted the car. It cancelled the setting and re-enabled. 
So I'm going to revert to having to disable it every drive. 
Its a lovely drive without the beeping - so much more relaxing. 

• Like 1

It's a real distraction to be beeped at so often.
I believe this in itself could cause a safety issue. 
It also detracts from more important warnings, as you end up teaching yourself to ignore the beeps. 
IMO its a major failing and doesn't meet the established standards for alarm management, that have been in place in other industries for years. 
If I'd have known this was a permanent setting I'd have seriously considered an older vehicle - certainly would've waited to test drive one that did beep everytime (my test drive vehicles had none of this)

I'm actually ok with the quieter 'watch your speed' nagging - its annoying - but a nice reminder I'm going too fast (its arguably some of road limits that are wrong, and not the car here), and its not intrusive, and I know what it means and how to react without taking eyes off the road. 
But the stupid loud BEEEEEP for every roadsign change (whether its on your own road, or just a nearby one that the car incorrectly saw) is the biggest issue for me. 
I know the speed limit has changed, cos I'm driving past the sign. Even if it only did it when stepping down from say 40 to 30, and I was going say 40 at the time - that would be ok. But when I'm doing 30 in a 30 and the next sign says 40, why do I need a BEEEEEP? 
If I missed it, I could glance at the HUD or display and see the stored value from the last sign, if it really mattered that much - but it doesn't, and it shouldn't. 
Grrrr. 
Anyway...Happy Wednesday 😆

• Like 2

23 hours ago, nlee said:

This is going to drive me nuts.

8 hours ago, philip42h said:

Here's a less than authoritative explanation from WBAC, and in a bit more detail from mapbox ... while not authoritative they are easier to understand than the raw legislation and, I believe, accurate.

The key points:

• These systems became mandatory for new models from 6th July 2022 and will become mandatory for all new cars sold from 7th July 2024. So, any current model RAV4 that will be on sale through this year will have the system fitted.
  • The system cannot rely on only a visual warning - it must have an audible or sensory warning built-in.
  • While the system can be configured by the driver, it must return to its default state each time the car is switched on.

Options:

2. Drive within the speed limits - after all that's what the system is encouraging us to do. It's a bit like the introductory of mandatory seat belts - those of us old enough to remember were up in arms about the "infringement of our liberties" but they are now an unobtrusive part of everyday motoring.
  4. Hope that the 'problem' can be resolved through personalisation - I'm not sure whether the Toyota systems are yet up to this. If you just step into the car and drive as a 'guest', the system must return to the default configuration. If you can effectively log-in to the car as a specific individual, the system should be able to automatically restore your stored driving preferences.

For me it's not the sticking to the speed limit issue. It's the beeping when I am sticking to the speed limit. The issue is these system are notoriously unreliable because they're working off map data (always out of date) and computer vision to detect road signs and that's as flakey as it gets. So the partially obscured sign or the sign outside the camera field of view or the bus blocking the sign or the road works that were but now not or the smart motorway signs. I could go on.

6 hours ago, P_J said:

I'll get me one of them. Never know when it might be handy. 

Only issue here would be emergency braking I guess. Getting your feet back down to the pedals in time. 

I was thinking maybe that too, but whilst logged in, I set RSA to disabled. Stopped, and later restarted the car. It cancelled the setting and re-enabled. 
So I'm going to revert to having to disable it every drive. 
Its a lovely drive without the beeping - so much more relaxing. 

I hope it can be disabled in less than 2 button presses or I'll be really angry if I have to spend a minute delving into 4 layers deep into the menus each time.

6 hours ago, P_J said:

It's a real distraction to be beeped at so often.
I believe this in itself could cause a safety issue. 
It also detracts from more important warnings, as you end up teaching yourself to ignore the beeps. 
IMO its a major failing and doesn't meet the established standards for alarm management, that have been in place in other industries for years. 
If I'd have known this was a permanent setting I'd have seriously considered an older vehicle - certainly would've waited to test drive one that did beep everytime (my test drive vehicles had none of this)

I'm actually ok with the quieter 'watch your speed' nagging - its annoying - but a nice reminder I'm going too fast (its arguably some of road limits that are wrong, and not the car here), and its not intrusive, and I know what it means and how to react without taking eyes off the road. 
But the stupid loud BEEEEEP for every roadsign change (whether its on your own road, or just a nearby one that the car incorrectly saw) is the biggest issue for me. 
I know the speed limit has changed, cos I'm driving past the sign. Even if it only did it when stepping down from say 40 to 30, and I was going say 40 at the time - that would be ok. But when I'm doing 30 in a 30 and the next sign says 40, why do I need a BEEEEEP? 
If I missed it, I could glance at the HUD or display and see the stored value from the last sign, if it really mattered that much - but it doesn't, and it shouldn't. 
Grrrr. 
Anyway...Happy Wednesday 😆

Feeling your pain because I'll be feeling it from September. I bet Tesla has a one button to disable at start up.

1 hour ago, Nick72 said:

This is going to drive me nuts.

I'm presuming this is the passive ISA, otherwise there would be much more screaming. When the new models have active ISA, which also drops the power if you are overspeed, that will drive everyone nuts!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, philip42h said:

The key points:

Options:

Thanks for the info 👍 

Such a PITA system 😞

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nick72 said:

I hope it can be disabled in less than 2 button presses or I'll be really angry if I have to spend a minute delving into 4 layers deep into the menus each time.

I now leave the 'settings' cog in the middle of the display, then its a press to enter settings and 3 or 4 'up' moves to highlight the offending culprit and an 'ok' to deselect its operation !

Then exit, till the next time i stop and restart - absolutely ridiculous 🤬

• Like 1

Right - I've had a good play with this now. 
And I'm happy-er. 
If you leave the RSA option turned on, but set just the speed limit change alert to visual only, and then don't toggle the RSA option back off again - it sticks. 
As in, the option stays set. 
So the loud BEEEEEP for every road sign is now just a flashing sign on the display, which is arguably useful but not annoying. 

I'm going to see how far I can relax the speed limit warnings next, before they reset and turn back on again. 
I'll let you know how this goes, but this is already a vast improvement. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links