Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Servicing & Warranty?

sproutdreamer

I am pondering at whether to take out a 2 year Servicing Plan or just pay up when it is time to do it. The only benefit seems to be that it future proofs against price rises (£743 service plan cost  versus £655 at current rates both inc 2 MOT's and an INT +Full service). I am disappointed to see the intermediate service consist only of a change of engine oil and new oil filter and a few inspections  but not even a check under of brake pipes and drive shaft boots. It does list a Fuel injector cleaner-FILL. Not sure what this is?

I am also puzzled that the Service & Warranty Booklet detailing the various elements of the Int and Full services are different in that the Toyota Dealer listing when booking a service shows a check of Battery terminals but does not state which Battery, inspect and top up all fluids and a Hybrid Health Check but does not detail a Hybrid Health check or Fuel injector clean?

I am still not clear what the extended warranty includes and where failre is due to wear and tear and what is a failure due to manufacturing?

Thanks Frosty - you are a mine of good info!

Interesting that the relax warranty details the Hybrid Battery control unit, the hybrid control unit and the hybrid convertor but no mention of the hybrid Battery itself.?

Hi Keith, as frosty above has included the relax warranty here's a simplified breakdown to help distinguish between manufacturing defects and wear and tear. 

Manufacturing Defect. This is a flaw or imperfection in a part or component that existed from the time it was manufactured. This could be due to faulty materials, improper assembly, or design issues. Examples include a cracked engine block due to poor casting or a faulty transmission due to a defective gear.

Wear and Tear. This is the gradual deterioration of parts due to normal use and operation. Over time, components like brake pads, tyres, and shock absorbers wear down and need to be replaced. This is considered normal and wouldn't be covered under warranty.

It can be difficult depending on what issues arise and what would be deemed as an acceptable repair under warranty and not a wear and tear item, a number of members have posted about this but I believe every case will generally depend on the service dealers assessment and Toyota acceptance.

As you said above the service plan future proofs against price rise.😄

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The relax warranty and service plans tie you in to the dealership. In my experience the standard of work is so bad and the dealer will try any excuse to crawl out of anything warranty that it's better to forget the "warranty"and sketchy maintenance and do it properly yourself or get a trusted independent. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Saxmaniac said:

The relax warranty and service plans tie you in to the dealership.

Not so….relax warranty merely requires car is serviced by (any) Toyota dealer… service plan is administered by EMAC and can be used at any official Toyota dealer.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, sproutdreamer said:

no mention of the hybrid battery itself.?

If the car is serviced at a Toyota dealer, once the car is outside the new car warranty, the hybrid health check, which is part of the service, will extend the separate warranty on the hybrid Battery for a year. This can be done up to the car's 15th birthday.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Saxmaniac said:

The relax warranty and service plans tie you in to the dealership. In my experience the standard of work is so bad and the dealer will try any excuse to crawl out of anything warranty that it's better to forget the "warranty"and sketchy maintenance and do it properly yourself or get a trusted independent. 

Rubbish...maybe your experience, but certainly not mine.  I'll be keeping my 10-year warranty up , with Toyota servicing. "trusted independent"...Del Boy...springs to mind.

• Like 1

Right from the sloppy PDI and over the course of two services couldn't diagnose a loose fitting headlight bulb. They assured me it was fixed though it was obvious they'd made no attempt. Similar with other small faults, the last time I was told that the relax warranty only covers safety related items?? Really? The last oil change, sump overfilled, sump plug left loose, oil filter massively overtightened so I was scared of breaking the housing next time, missing clips not replaced even though they were not missing before. And I'm going to trust it to them again? I cancelled the service plan at that point. I've had similar with other main dealers in the past including the sales con where they extract 20 quid for fuel but hand over the car with virtually no fuel. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Saxmaniac said:

Right from the sloppy PDI and over the course of two services couldn't diagnose a loose fitting headlight bulb. They assured me it was fixed though it was obvious they'd made no attempt. Similar with other small faults, the last time I was told that the relax warranty only covers safety related items?? Really? The last oil change, sump overfilled, sump plug left loose, oil filter massively overtightened so I was scared of breaking the housing next time, missing clips not replaced even though they were not missing before. And I'm going to trust it to them again? I cancelled the service plan at that point. I've had similar with other main dealers in the past including the sales con where they extract 20 quid for fuel but hand over the car with virtually no fuel. 

None of the above is acceptable....but you cannot , tar all dealers , with the same brush.

• Like 1

I don't want to take the risk again, if I DIY I know it's done right and do those bits that dealers don't cover anyway. I'll use them to keep any guarantee but after that keep away 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

The last time I owned a Toyota my local dealer where I bought it ( used) kept fobbing me off regarding a stiff/ clunky gearchange, ended up having a huge argument with them, went to another Toyota dealer in Leeds which was also a Lexus dealer( still is although owned by the same group) I found that I got a much better service and wasn’t able to totally fix the problem, they did make it significantly better. My cross was bought from my local dealer but I’m hopeful that they have changed…

• Like 2

I've had quite a few company cars, various makes and found dealers to be much the same. More often than anything was quoting for unnecessary work. Mondeo, ford dealer said DMF on the way out. By next service it had miraculously recovered and still fine thousands of miles later. They did get away with the wiper blade scam, replacing perfectly good blades 

• Like 1

I also don’t like any car trade places. Over 200 years and still one of the shoddiest people involved in the dodgiest business. Not all places and all people, there are still some exceptions but hard to find really a good place with good mechanics that you can trust. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

I also don’t like any car trade places. Over 200 years and still one of the shoddiest people involved in the dodgiest business. Not all places and all people, there are still some exceptions but hard to find really a good place with good mechanics that you can trust. 

You can't get the truth out of most of 'em even if you use a lie detector and electrodes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

You can't get the truth out of most of 'em even if you use a lie detector and electrodes.

Paul,you forgot to include politicians and estates agents 😂

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Over 200 years and still one of the shoddiest people involved in the dodgiest business.

The first car built and put into production was the Benz Patent-Motorwagen from 1885. So the business has been around for 157 years rather than 'over 200'.

Prior to this we had horse traders .....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The first car built and put into production was the Benz Patent-Motorwagen from 1885. So the business has been around for 157 years rather than 'over 200'.

Prior to this we had horse traders .....

The 200 year quote was from Tony's post within my post Mike.

Good point about the old horse traders though, I wonder if they were all as honest as today's car dealers?🤔

• Like 2

Yeah, please pardon me for the wrong years, but for sure horse traders were pretty much the same , at least this is what I remember been told by my grandad when I was a young boy. 👍 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

Yeah, please pardon me for the wrong years, but for sure horse traders were pretty much the same , at least this is what I remember been told by my grandad when I was a young boy. 👍 

Well Tony, horse traders,car dealers, the bad ones all cut from the same cloth really.

IIRC from the old cowboy films that my dad used to watch, much to the annoyance of my mum who preferred documentaries on BBC when there were only two channels.

There was a fairly effective deterrent for horse stealing and dodgy dealing involving a rope and a tree.

The only deterrent now seems to be the loss of the commission on gap insurance,supaguard and any other bull they think they can sell to the gullible,if caught out.

I suppose the modern equivalent of looking a gift horse in the mouth,is looking under the bonnet, and getting the car on a ramp.

Except the cars now are not a gift, but a many £0000s risk.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

the loss of the commission on gap insurance

In the interim, the FSA have, this week, told all providers (presumably just policies sold by dealers) to withdraw GAP insurance until they have completed the review of these products. 

I wonder whether another PPP (payment protection policy), car finance commission claim scenario is in the offing ......

• Like 1

Yes the shyster solicitor companies will probably be on this like flies on ****, beware of the fees exceeding the claim, followed by DCA,s and bailiffs.

What still amazes me are the people I talk to who are so proud of claiming independently of claims companies while ignoring the fact that they signed up to unfair terms in the first place.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links