Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

USB Type-C module upgrade for MK IV Yaris?

M4rcell

It's a bummer that only the MY24 has type-c connectors, but the type-a on previous models looks like it can be changed. Did any if you found OEM looking replacement for that USB port? Aliexpress and eBay listings are full of very cheap looking ports with LED lighting and whatnot, but I just want the same plastic cube with a type-c slot on it.

Best to leave USB C alone. It is fragile and not up to the task. If you must use C then get an adapter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

These may (should) do the trick.  In fact, just ordered some!

Amazon USB A 2 USB C

IMG_1822.jpeg

• Like 3

Or just proper cable 🙂 definitely cheaper option that messing with the central console 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, hind said:

Or just proper cable 🙂 definitely cheaper option that messing with the central console 

Yes. Stuff doesn't generally come with a charger these days but I seem to get another A-C cable with every new device now.

• Like 1

Moreover is difficult to find USB-C -> MicroUSB cables  ff you have an old phone with microUSB connector.

And as @Mjolinor said USB-C is more fragile than USB-A and car is not the best environment for a delicate connector.

• Like 1

The Touch2 gen3 only has USB 2, Toyota does have a type A 2.1a charging-only port tho, though if you go with the heated seat console that gives you the extra spaces

modding a blank with a USB C port shouldn't be hard

For some reason my 2023 model has no wireless charger either, even tho it was included already on some older models. Type-C makes sense only if it has fast charging, not sure how feasible that is without messing with the car's wiring.

the wireless charger was dropped due to supply issues and it was only an option on higher spec cars, USB C uses 12v and higher current 5V so you will need to feed it 12v from a fuse tap or off the 12v aux socket to gain the high-speed charging

4 minutes ago, flash22 said:

USB C uses 12v and higher current 5V so you will need to feed it 12v from a fuse tap or off the 12v aux socket to gain the high-speed charging

Well, no. USB-C defaults to 5V but if it has PD (Power Delivery) then the chip in the charger and chip in the device might negotiate higher voltage to lower the current to minimize losses on the cable. Plugging it directly to 12V will fry any connected device.

• Like 2

As @hind says, there's more to USB than plugs and wire. Look at (eg) mobile phone specs and you'll see different flavours of USB mentioned, like 5.2 or 5.3. I'd be very wary of making DIY mods to the hardware.

Well it is doable but the easiest way is to just use regular 12V socket and plug in the proper charger (using the original one from the manufacturer of our phone or just the universal one of decent quality) if we need fast charging or have 2 phones or want to let the navigator charge his/her phone too while ours is connected to the car. Charging through the car multimedia system provide enough current to at least balance out the power consumed by the connection and, eg. ongoing "session" of Android Auto or Carplay connection. 

I am aware of this fact, I may have oversimplified things PD requires a 12v supply (anything from 5 to 20v with a boost/buck), and the touch2 gen 3 is USB2 so the current is capped at 500mA - to retrofit USB-c you use the data lines from the Radio and feed its own power source to gain data and PD

PD and USB-C are 2 different standards

Standard USB charging is easy as it's just 5v and up to 2.4A on the dedicated power lines.

PD is a whole 'nother beast as it needs a negotiation protocol and unless your're a microelectronics whizz then you'd probably need a dedicated converter to handle all the negotiation.

I currently use a Chromebook 12v socket charger similar to:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/12V-24V-Charger-Universal-Thinkpad-Chromebook/dp/B09TF1K3DF

but you could hook it directly up to a fused power source and run that into a DIY'd panel - The power converter for my Dashcam is just cable-tied behind the glovebox, and I ran the cable into the back of the 12v socket, with the 5v end being routed up the A-pillar and headlining.

I forgot to mention that in my MX5's, I have this . . it's dual USB A and USB C fast charge

AMAZON CAR CHARGER

81BTpvGrKwL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Like 2

what sprung to mind is Lexus - a higher end brand that does have USB-C, Molex also does a decent charge-only PD device but its not cheap

PD and data combo seems to be the odd ball tho

• Like 1

On 3/7/2024 at 10:56 PM, jthspace said:

These may (should) do the trick.  In fact, just ordered some!

Amazon USB A 2 USB C

IMG_1822.jpeg

I’ve tried these as well.  Cheap as chips and does the job.

• Like 1

USB-C charge only

85532-78010 rubber cover

85532-60040 illuminated

85532-60010 standard single, no cover or ill

85532-08050 illuminated USB C and A

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links