Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris MK 4 Key programing

Mushu84

So, let me try my luck with the forum 🙂 

As my wife dropped the car keys one day putting a few battle marks on it, so I ordered from Aliexpress a spare case just in case I have issues in the future

The ordered key was around £9, it also came with the circuit board and Immobilizer chip and this made me think if I can make a copy key from my original key and use that one.

On the car when I bought it I had 2 keys, one with 2 buttons and retractable key see picture (not a keyless entry one), the other I think is called a valet key (no buttons on it)

From I can see the key for my MK4 looks the same as the MK3 one so I think that maybe they are the same for programming hopefully 

the questions are:

-Where/who can program the blank key?

-are there steps like the MK2 to program the key myself?

-If you program the key yourself how can you program the Immobilizer chip 

-Where to do the key cutting as Timpson's refused me due to the key not being from there store, even if their key it was looking the same as mine 

key.JPG

Hi Mike, programming new keys requires specific software and you  need to take it to either a locksmith thar deals with car key programming or to a dealer.

Copying a key yourself can cause security issues. If the process isn't done correctly, you might end up disabling your car's immobilizer system.

The programming of car keys can vary depending on your make and model.There are models that you can program keys but they are considerably older then yours.

The key Shell you brought from AliExpress may look similar between MK3 and MK4 models, but the internal components and programming might be different.

IMO I would contact locksmith or your car dealership's service department and get a price for them to programme it at least that way it save the hassle.

Timpson's might have refused due to liability concerns, other locksmiths might be willing to cut a new key  based on your original. Explain your situation and see what they say.😄Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links