Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris Hybrid-P0A80- Replace hybrid battery pack

TonyHSD

Hi everyone, 

as many of you know I have been driving my Auris with a dead Battery for some time now this week I had replaced the hybrid Battery myself. I bought a new Battery from Toyota dealer ( Steven Eagell St. Albans) for £1448.
They quoted 3 hrs labour at £487 which was exactly the time it took me to do the job by myself on my driveway saved me these money. 
The replacement process is very easy, no special tools or equipment are needed, no high voltage gloves or anything other protection wear. You need only a good quality tool set with 1/4 and 3/8 wrenches with sockets 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, two extension bars, long and short, and must have interior panels remover tool, aka clip remover., there are many clips you need to undo. 
The battery itself comes in a nice box, it is 46 kg weight so you will need help from a friend or do your English breakfast first 😉 
I had used this video as tutorial how to , even I made it easier. 

Here some pictures from my work, the old, the new battery, the controls and electronics you need to transfer, the seat that you need to detach from brackets, maybe the tools you can see. 
The new battery is plug and play, it is also charged at around 50% or more, so no worries to start the engine. This new batteries seems to be re manufactured  which includes new cells, new cables and sensors and new bus bars, just using old metal work, perhaps cleaned or re sprayed as it looks brighter colour. 
The warranty is 12 months. No mileage been asked about so I believe it’s unlimited. 
The important bit when buying a new hybrid battery from Toyota dealers in UK, you need to pay upfront at the dealer by card full amount £1448 + surcharge of £1032 for the old battery and when ready you have 20 days to return the old bay in the same box and they will refund the surcharge money. That’s pretty much all. 

image.png

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.png

image.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

That's brilliant Tony, very well done and a great result.

Just a bit puzzled by your last photo of the long box in the back of your car covered with a blanket, it's not the body of a car salesman is it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

44 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Just a bit puzzled by your last photo of the long box in the back of your car covered with a blanket, it's not the body of a car salesman is it?

It's the dead one in its wooden (cardboard) box going back to the dealer for a core charge refund or to be hurled through the front window

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

That's brilliant Tony, very well done and a great result.

Thanks Paul 👍

Hahah , Bob got it right about the dead body coffin ⚰️ 👌, it’s the old Battery final moments before delivery back to the dealer for recycling. 
Love your humour guys and the last pictures was taken with that in mind 😉👌

• Haha 3

Awesome job mate! :thumbsup:

How's she drive now? :naughty: 

This will be a good thread to remember for anyone who gets scared by bad information on changing the Battery - Even easier than a clutch swap by the look of it!! :laugh: 

My problem when I attempt things like this is how I always finish with 5 extra bolts and washers that appear from no where... :eek: :whistling1:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

As I always find with miracle Tony clean and pastoral work, even if it seems difficult to the rest
Well done

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Cyker said:

My problem when I attempt things like this is how I always finish with 5 extra bolts and washers that appear from no where... :eek: :whistling1:

Ah just chuck 'em in the bin Cyker, like "mechanics" do.

Notice how the American mechanic in Tony's video finds several bolts, clips etc missing from the previous fitting of the non OEM Battery, that did not last.

• Haha 3

Thanks everyone. 
Yes indeed it’s easier than most other car repairs or replacements, I did actually enjoyed it a lot. For the bolts and nuts I made sure nothing left over. 
The car drives exactly the same, not faster or something but it has back the ev glide and engine doesn’t start so often especially after downhill drives , the regen works better, the Battery stays almost all the time in the middle, with slight variations up or down. Mpg for the moment is exactly the same but I do mostly motorways so the engine is the main power source. In places with 40mph the car glides I ev so much more. It’s a positive change especially after been driving with a weak Battery for long time 😊👌

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That will be ok till 500k and 15 more years 🤪

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Saxmaniac said:

That will be ok till 500k and 15 more years 🤪

Thanks.
Not so sure about 500k or 15 more years , but another 100k miles and two more years will be good. 
I had a slightly different plans for this car but unforeseen circumstances does not allow me to buy another car, at least nothing better than this one, so it’s mine forever 👌🫢

• Like 5

23 hours ago, xrhstosgr said:

As I always find with miracle Tony clean and pastoral work

Totally agree. Added to this is that he's working outside. Not even a garage roof to give any protection. Brilliant Tony, well done. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Wooster said:

Totally agree. Added to this is that he's working outside. Not even a garage roof to give any protection. Brilliant Tony, well done. 

Thanks Andrew. 👍

• Like 2

it seems like your car is right on the ball parks when the Battery died. My 2006 Prius need new Battery in 2017 at 220k miles. although I live in much hotter climate that days, FL. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, AisinW said:

it seems like your car is right on the ball parks when the battery died. My 2006 Prius need new battery in 2017 at 220k miles. although I live in much hotter climate that days, FL. 

I think my hybrid Battery was a bit overdue. I managed to drive another 8000 miles since first fault has shown on screen. I also noticed a bit of liquid under side of the Battery 🪫 when was lifting out of the car. Another symptom of weak Battery is higher temperature of the battery itself. This new one I fitted remains at lower temperature and I think it is not related to the outside weather but the chemistry of the cells, older cells has usually higher resistance and higher temperature as a result. All in all after 1000 miles now since the change I am happy so far. The car drives like newer models, newer generations with a lot more ev drives and glides and stationary the battery holds change so much better. 

• Like 4

You're right - As a Battery ages its internal resistance does indeed rise, which means it's harder to put in or pull out charge because of that extra resistance, which causes more losses as heat.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

All in all after 1000 miles now since the change...

About 1000 miles a week or 150 miles a day assuming you drive it every day. Impressive! 

• Thanks 1

Yeah he's the forum high-mileage hero :laugh: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

the chemistry in LaNi8 NiMh Battery is very robust and there are many factors affect the lifespan. Temperature, charging discharging cycles, and loads.  Historically, Temperature is a big factors. 

Part of the reason why I can reached 220k miles in hot FL because I drove from the capital to Miami regularly. It is 9hours Interstate cruise that does not really affect Battery wear. Most people who drive in FL cities, only can reach about 120k miles. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links