Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Verso Lurching

patfig

We have a Yaris verso auto ( model with clutch) that at low speeds is lurching / kangarooing in forward and reverse. Garage say they cant find anything wrong but there clearly is. Also managed to stall it a couple of times during reversing.

Any pointers welcomed.

How the heck can they say that as it appears to be obvious 🤔 🙄. Sounds like a fuel starvation problem. 

Hi,P do you know if the garage scanned for any potential error codes, as It could be a number of issues causing this problem and I wonder if the garage checked for dirty transmission fluid as this can cause erratic lurching in automatic transmissions. Did they check the transmission fluid level and the condition to see if it was dirty. 

faulty transmission sensors can also cause shifting patterns and cause the transmission to behave like this. Did they scan for error codes related to any sensor malfunctions.

Your Verso has a clutch system even though it's an automatic, but issues with the clutch such as slipping or engaging problems can also cause lurching.This is something again they could have checked. Can you confirm what they did check.Has this lurching just happened and have you noticed any issues prior to this.:smile:

Car went for MOT ( went through no issues) and service oil and filter, new air filter and new plugs. Was fine before hand. 

Scanning for error codes gave no issues problem only exists below say 5mph on open road its fine.

Its possible you have worn engine mounts. This aligns with the symptoms of low speed jerking and stalling while reversing, the absence of error codes and the recent garage service could have caused a possible disturbance during the service.

Stalling while reversing also suggests a potential fuel delivery problem A faulty fuel pump, clogged fuel filter, or dirty injectors could struggle to deliver fuel leading to stalling. Are you investigating these issues yourself or are you taking the car back to the garage.

IMO it seems a bit of a coincidence that the car was working fine before you put it in for a service. Is this a Toyota service dealer or a local garage that carried out the service.:smile:

9 hours ago, Bper said:

Its possible you have worn engine mounts. This aligns with the symptoms of low speed jerking and stalling while reversing, the absence of error codes and the recent garage service could have caused a possible disturbance during the service.

Stalling while reversing also suggests a potential fuel delivery problem A faulty fuel pump, clogged fuel filter, or dirty injectors could struggle to deliver fuel leading to stalling. Are you investigating these issues yourself or are you taking the car back to the garage.

IMO it seems a bit of a coincidence that the car was working fine before you put it in for a service. Is this a Toyota service dealer or a local garage that carried out the service.:smile:

Thanks Bper, we took it back to the garage and they couldn't find anything wrong although it is still doing this lurching at low speeds. I might try changing the fuel filter myself as a first port of call. Thanks for your input.

Wondering as the there's nothing obviously wrong and no codes as your garage say, if this could be an EGR valve problem?

Had a 1.3cdti Vauxhall Astra around 15 years ago and it developed a very annoying fault which could be described as lurching, I always described it as feeling like the engine missing a beat when pulling away, very noticable in slow moving traffic/low speed but usually ok at speed. No codes ever and could never get a garage to identify the cause, that is until I was on holiday in Wales, 14 days up and down them hills really showed it up. Took it to the local mechanic who checked for codes and found nothing but suggested the EGR needed either cleaning or replacing. Turned out he was spot on, I did the job myself, wished I'd never started it though as Vauxhall used a water cooled EGR and put it in an almost inaccessible place up against the engine compartment fire wall. Sold the car on soon after that as the improvement only lasted a few months before it began again.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links