Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

High pitch noise when the car is moving

WOODWAYS6

It sounds like from the near side front .Like brakes. I've tried braking hard and on and off with the parking brake but it's still there.Note it's one of the last Gen 4 with less than 1k miles.any ideas If that side is jacked up is it possible to move the road wheel to hear if the bra kes are rubbing ????

Small stone trapped between brake disc and backplate? Often removed by reversing.

14 minutes ago, Ancient Nerd said:

Small stone trapped between brake disc and backplate? Often removed by reversing.

Funning thing is it sounds worse in reverse.If I raise one side wheel off the ground can I turn the wheel or will the drive not allow that ?

7 hours ago, WOODWAYS6 said:

Funning thing is it sounds worse in reverse.If I raise one side wheel off the ground can I turn the wheel or will the drive not allow that ?

I had to poke with a wire to get it loose. Be careful, the backing plate is quite thin. But fairly easy to bend back to clear the disk.

Others have suggested reversing as a cure. It didn't work for me.

7 hours ago, Ancient Nerd said:

I had to poke with a wire to get it loose. Be careful, the backing plate is quite thin. But fairly easy to bend back to clear the disk.

Others have suggested reversing as a cure. It didn't work for me.

Thanks.

13 hours ago, WOODWAYS6 said:

Thanks.

No stones but I bent the backing plate a little away from the disc and put some lubricant on the back of the pad shims  All good now 

• Like 1

On 3/17/2024 at 9:24 PM, WOODWAYS6 said:

No stones but I bent the backing plate a little away from the disc and put some lubricant on the back of the pad shims  All good now 

Unfortunately the noise is still there high pitched.

2 minutes ago, WOODWAYS6 said:

Unfortunately the noise is still there high pitched.

Back again.A real pain.

On 3/17/2024 at 9:24 PM, WOODWAYS6 said:

Short lived the noise is back.

But you managed to temporarily get rid of the noise. That would indicate you are at least in the right area - i.e. the noise is brake related. The question is if you can cause the noise by rotating the wheel by hand with the car in the air to pin point it?

Does it change when turning left/right? Does it change when applying the brakes?

I don't know how practically minded you are. If it was me I'd take the brake calliper and carrier off, and the disc so I can see exactly if anything is rubbing. Any of the brake pad clips that sit suspiciously close to the disc?

That said, as it is still under warranty, you could also just hand it in to the dealer for them to look at. Just be aware that  they are not always that keen on helping with consumables like brakes for free. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, APS said:

But you managed to temporarily get rid of the noise. That would indicate you are at least in the right area - i.e. the noise is brake related. The question is if you can cause the noise by rotating the wheel by hand with the car in the air to pin point it?

Does it change when turning left/right? Does it change when applying the brakes?

I don't know how practically minded you are. If it was me I'd take the brake calliper and carrier off, and the disc so I can see exactly if anything is rubbing. Any of the brake pad clips that sit suspiciously close to the disc?

That said, as it is still under warranty, you could also just hand it in to the dealer for them to look at. Just be aware that  they are not always that keen on helping with consumables like brakes for free. 

Thanks for that.I took the pads out and cleaned and lubed the contact shim areas and piston.never checked the clips .The backing plates appear not to be rubbing .no stones.!!! At slow speed the rotational rubbing sound is there.at the front.Har d to tell if it stops under braking.Of course being FWD the wheel will only turn a very small amount.Its got me stumped.Im sure my pocket will take a hit at the dealers.Annoyed I couldn't sort it.And such crazy low milage.

13 hours ago, WOODWAYS6 said:

Its got me stumped.Im sure my pocket will take a hit at the dealers.Annoyed I couldn't sort it.And such crazy low milage.

Considering how new the car is, I do think you should take it to the deal to be checked over. You want them to exclude there is anything like wheel bearings. It's better to do it now and get their input. Also, if anything were to go wrong later, you have the record of them giving their verdict. Ideally, they may actually identify the problem and fix it. Better to get this done during the first three year warranty period.

• Like 1

Well back from Toyota.Suprise suprise the noise is the hybrid and is normal more so in reversing it's to warn people of the cars movement.More so in Eco Mode.Im surprised the more long term owners didn't mention that.Still good to know all is well. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I think so many people here have a hybrid they forget that the weird alien-space-ship-with-its-handbrake-stuck-on sound isn't a normal sound :laugh: 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/21/2024 at 10:06 PM, WOODWAYS6 said:

Suprise suprise the noise is the hybrid and is normal

Phew! That's a relief. The electronics that control the electric motors always make a high pitch noise as well - you can hear this outside any generation Prius or electric car. The reverse on the Prius is always purely driven by the electric motors as there is no reverse gear (and you can't run the combustion engine backwards).

Thanks for following up and enjoy your car!

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links