Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

help needed

1micky2

Hi Guys I am new here so would like a little help recently bought 2012 Avensis estate TR D-4D ex Taxi recently EPB light came on and says parking brake inoperable but you can hear it trying to work also when bought was told the brakes had been changed the red hand brake light comes on as soon as you switch the car of but does not hold and will only put the light out when the ignition is on but not running. also the last couple of days when I go to start it it cuts out first time as if it's not getting fuel but then give the pedal a few pumps and it starts as this is my first toyota really need some Advice. Thanks 1micky2.

12 minutes ago, 1micky2 said:

Hi Guys I am new here so would like a little help recently bought 2012 Avensis estate TR D-4D ex Taxi recently EPB light came on and says parking brake inoperable but you can hear it trying to work also when bought was told the brakes had been changed the red hand brake light comes on as soon as you switch the car of but does not hold and will only put the light out when the ignition is on but not running. also the last couple of days when I go to start it it cuts out first time as if it's not getting fuel but then give the pedal a few pumps and it starts as this is my first toyota really need some Advice. Thanks 1micky2.

How many miles got on it 

don't really know but its over 250.000 .

Hi George,the EPB light and "parking brake inoperable" message suggest an issue with the electronic parking brake system. You mentioned it makes a noise when trying to engage, indicating the system might be trying to work but encountering a fault.

This is a common problem with ex-taxis, which put a lot of wear on the parking brake system.

A seized parking brake actuator is the most likely cause, especially for a high mileage ex-taxi. The actuator is the electric motor responsible for applying and releasing the parking brake. Damage to the wiring or a malfunctioning switch in the parking brake handle could also be causing the issue.

The cutting out on startup and needing to pump the pedal could be a problem with the fuel system, such as a dirty fuel filter or a faulty fuel pump.hope this helps:smile: 

• Like 1

Thanks Bob. Yes it sounds like it is trying to work just wont Engage what am I looking for and where is the actuator is it Expensive or can you use a second hand one if you can get a hold of one is it easy to fit. as to the other stuff where is the fuel pump and thanks as said don't know anything about diesels. cheers.

• Like 1

Hi George,I have put a link to a video that shows the approx position of the actuator, the replacement depends on a couple of things. I don't know the exact cost but approx £200 -£300 used I would think, but have a look on eBay etc and other members will give you a better idea and the best places to source this.Toyota OEM will be considerably more expensive and they may also require reprogramming.

IMO as you have a couple of issues that are not straight forward, I would take your car to a garage its probably the safest option. They can confirm if a new actuator needs programming and have the diagnostic tools to do it properly. If you haven't got any car DIY experience it can be challenging and I wouldn't recommend it.

Others may disagree and describe how to to this in detail. I hope this advice helps.:smile: 

https://youtu.be/iuUB73topAM?si=REeHB8SRfFjApzLQ

6 hours ago, 1micky2 said:

...when bought was told the brakes had been changed...

Perhaps a silly idea but you could check the rear brake pads? They might be in wrong position...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, avetoy said:

Perhaps a silly idea but you could check the rear brake pads? They might be in wrong position...

Not silly at all! That should be top of the list to check on an Avensis T27 with an EPB error after recent rear brake maintenance.

• Like 1

Hi nick Thanks for the Advice I will just get new discs and pads before I strip it down. Thanks George.

6 hours ago, Bper said:

Hi George,I have put a link to a video that shows the approx position of the actuator, the replacement depends on a couple of things. I don't know the exact cost but approx £200 -£300 used I would think, but have a look on ebay etc and other members will give you a better idea and the best places to source this.Toyota OEM will be considerably more expensive and they may also require reprogramming.

IMO as you have a couple of issues that are not straight forward, I would take your car to a garage its probably the safest option. They can confirm if a new actuator needs programming and have the diagnostic tools to do it properly. If you haven't got any car DIY experience it can be challenging and I wouldn't recommend it.

Others may disagree and describe how to to this in detail. I hope this advice helps.:smile: 

https://youtu.be/iuUB73topAM?si=REeHB8SRfFjApzLQ

Hi bob thanks for you advice I have some experience used to change all my brake pads and discs on petrol cars just this is my first diesel car and not used to EPB . Thanks George

I believe you know this but make sure the caliper pistons are at the right angle.

Just now, avetoy said:

Make sure the caliper pistons are at the right angle.

is there pins on the brake pads also how do you get the switch out the dash board as just ordered a switch from eBay. Thanks George.

5 minutes ago, 1micky2 said:

Hi bob thanks for you advice I have some experience used to change all my brake pads and discs on petrol cars just this is my first diesel car and not used to EPB . Thanks George

Hi George,If you can do the work yourself great saves a few quid. How long ago was the breaks changed and did you notice any problems when you test drove it before buying the car.:smile:

I assume you received service history and any recent bills for the work on the brakes etc.

4 hours ago, Cessna said:

Not silly at all! That should be top of the list to check on an Avensis T27 with an EPB error after recent rear brake maintenance.

This is very good advice from @Cessna which I didn't heed. Check your calipers, the mechanical handbrake component, to see if it's moving freely. Cheap reman calipers can fail - not sure if your calipers were replaced. Also check to make sure the pins on the pads are lining up with the piston.

If it's the epb, I think the eprom chip in it needs to be programmed on a secondhand one for the vin on your car. A skilled auto electrician can do it. Also, apparently the epb unit is hard to get at for removing/installing.

Re. Starting, yes could be a number of things. As it was a taxi, I'd change all filters and fluids. Could take a look at the fuel pump too to make there's no gunk in there. It's under the back seat afaik.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links