Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2023 Toyota Corolla Question

gmh123

3 hours ago, Amboyo said:

I have a Swace registered in April 2023 and it is definitely the new engine as it has the different infotainment system and the same digital display you find on the Corolla van. However on the government website it lists the Co2 as 102g. Not sure why the emissions would be less than the equivalent Corolla!

Weight is another consideration, it's why some models have spare wheels, side steps and the like and some don't, it affects the Co2 figures 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gmh123 said:

Problem is the change here is significant in terms of the engine being totally different.  I told the dealer I wanted a 2023 model because of this change otherwise @Roy124 I would agree with you.

The difference between a knowledgeable buyer and ....

I once bought a new car, a big update on my present model, as it was a good price.   I had been out of the market for 7 years and did not realise my new car was 2 years old.

2 hours ago, VladMD said:

Sorry, not on topic, but may be no point to create a new thread. 

Does anybody know when Corolla Touring 2ltr with new more powerful engine started to come out or being registered.

I am considering one to buy but as per above some of them seems to come with more powerful engine (194bhp I think) and better fuel consumption but still have an infotainment system with the knob. Do they have a new generation hybrid system or I need to look for the car with fully touch screen to be sure the car has all the latest engine and hybrid?

Thanks and sorry for intruding. 

Production switched to MY23 for both engines in December 2022 we are told. You could therefore find one registered from then onwards (72 plate).

As far as I am aware there were no 'mix & match' cars produced (no-one has mentioned it on here anyway), so you need to look for the later (knobless) infotainment if you want the 5th gen engine.

If you see a car with the knob on the screen which is described as having the more powerful engine, don't believe it. A lot of dealers, websites etc. seem to have just switched to the MY23 descriptions without checking whether they applied to specific cars.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Don Mac said:

Production switched to MY23 for both engines in December 2022 we are told. You could therefore find one registered from then onwards (72 plate).

As far as I am aware there were no 'mix & match' cars produced (no-one has mentioned it on here anyway), so you need to look for the later (knobless) infotainment if you want the 5th gen engine.

If you see a car with the knob on the screen which is described as having the more powerful engine, don't believe it. A lot of dealers, websites etc. seem to have just switched to the MY23 descriptions without checking whether they applied to specific cars.

Your correct Don. The written spec especially on the Toyota dealer sites are not always true. It's a blanket cover on a MY23 spec which is often a MY22 in reality. I bet alot of buyers have been caught out by this. The only way to be sure is go and see the car in the flesh then grill the salesman.

• Like 1

That info on dealer sites is driven by the Registration number, that spec is issued by the likes of CAP or Glasses Guide, it is not actually supplied by the manufacturer. That is why you must always confirm your requirements to whoever you are purchasing from. These spec sheets (and brochures) always have E & OE printed on them, Errors and omissions excepted, it is very important, no matter what you are buying, to ensure it meets your needs. We often see people who "think" a car has Sat Nav because there is a sat Nav button on the screen, it does not mean it is actually installed. Always check it has what you need

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dealer is getting me a 73 plate Design trim tomorrow to take a look at with panoramic roof.   Its about a grand more in cost but only 2k miles.  Will see what happens tomorrow.  The new one is black mine is that weird bluey grey colour you see on expensive Audis which I love but maybe the panoramic roof inside will make up for the change in colour.

I also spoke to the customer services manager today and they said they will look into the advertising of the vehicles which are 2022 but on a 2023 plate.  

Is the drive in the 2023 model significantly different to that of the 2022 model (1.8 engine)?   I read somewhere the fuel economy is slightly less - in the real world is it considerably less?   I stuck a tenner in mine the past week and thats covered just over 100 miles which is amazing.   My previous car (VW Golf) would only manage 65 on the same amount.

Also - mine has the auto park function on the panel with the adaptive full beam, i notice the newer cars dont have this button - did they remove it?

Finally, the MyT app - does the climate control and remote start work on the 2023 models?   Cant see it on the app for mine.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gmh123 said:

Is the drive in the 2023 model significantly different to that of the 2022 model (1.8 engine)?   I read somewhere the fuel economy is slightly less - in the real world is it considerably less?   I stuck a tenner in mine the past week and thats covered just over 100 miles which is amazing.   My previous car (VW Golf) would only manage 65 on the same amount.

Also - mine has the auto park function on the panel with the adaptive full beam, i notice the newer cars dont have this button - did they remove it?

Finally, the MyT app - does the climate control and remote start work on the 2023 models?   Cant see it on the app for mine.

I can't comment on the MY22 vs MY23 to drive, but I can say that my MY23 1.8 does over 60mpg around town and just under 55mpg at its worst on the motorway.

There is no park assist on any of the MY23s.

The MY23 has both climate control and remote start through the app.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, gmh123 said:

Dealer is getting me a 73 plate Design trim tomorrow to take a look at with panoramic roof.   Its about a grand more in cost but only 2k miles.  Will see what happens tomorrow.  The new one is black mine is that weird bluey grey colour you see on expensive Audis which I love but maybe the panoramic roof inside will make up for the change in colour.

I also spoke to the customer services manager today and they said they will look into the advertising of the vehicles which are 2022 but on a 2023 plate.  

You will find the 23 plate 1.8 feels more responsive when you are out of say the 20/30 mph zones so i would take it for a drive on a national speed limit road if possible.

If you don't mind the colour i think with the mileage/pan roof and the fact it is a better all round car i would be looking down the back of the sofa for the 1k.

At least the dealer is accommodating your demands which is a start. 2k on a 73 plate Design for 1k more is tempting subject to a decent drive of it first. Not keen on black myself but I would still press for some added value on the deal like some free servicing in the future or free gap insurance or paint protection etc. Meet halfway at £500? I think the ball is in your court to be honest as they know they are in the wrong. Good luck G.

• Like 1

Agree that the 1K is worthwhile for the MY23 upgrades and 2K miles is nothing on a car that is capable of starship mileages. For a black car in particular I would advise against haggling for paint protection - it’s highly likely this would result in addition of some nice new swirl marks and these would be more noticeable on black paintwork than lighter colours. I opted for paint protection (Supaguard) for my Scarlet Flare and regret it as whoever applied it at the Dealership clearly did not take much care - swirl marks occur in places. Admittedly the paint does bead well but in retrospect I should have done my own sealing and waxing.

I like a black car though and own a Fiat 500 in this colour which is remarkably scratch and swirl free for its 15 years - my secret is to minimise cloth contact with the paintwork. Use a good shampoo, rinse with deionised water (no drying needed as water marks are removed by the deionised water) and finish with Meguiars Ultimate Quik Detailer with light strokes using a clean micro fibre cloth, which gives an incredible and surprisingly durable shine to black paintwork.

12 hours ago, gmh123 said:

Yes, it’s quite a bit more responsive than the previous generation. 0-60 is 2 seconds quicker in the newer model. 

fuel economy is great, my long term average is 55, which beats my auris by about 7mpg. On country roads with a warm engine I can get 75mpg regularly. 

extras depend on model, but I only ever used the self parking a couple of times in my auris excel as the camera and sensors made it quicker to do yourself. 

the climate control and emote start are on the newer models, I use it in mine a lot in the winter for defrosting as I park outside and have thick ice on the car. 

• Like 1

O/P let us know how you get on with an update later.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone

So an update.   Last week I was due to go and view the black MY23 model.   The dealership called me in the morning I was due to view it to explain they would consider my car as part exchange value if I chose to do the Toyota exchange.   Obviously, this was not on, so I drove down to the dealership unannounced and spoke to the manager face to face.

Initially the meeting was heated as the manager tried to tell me the car needed to be faulty to return it under the Toyota 30 day exchange scheme.   I had a copy of the T&Cs and with me and asked him to point out on there where it said this.  He went away and came back totally changed and now more co-operative.   I had already spoken to other dealerships in their group and Toyota who informed me the car did not have to be faulty.

We discussed viewing the black car, however, having thought about it all night beforehand, I do like the car I had purchased, I love the Manhattan Grey colour, it drives lovely etc.   So I offered a solution whereas they reduce what I had paid for my car as I felt I had been charged for a 2023 car whereas its actually a 2022 one.  

In the end, the meeting went well, I received £2k back on the car by means of cash refund, a service, and a few other little bits.   This suited me as I feel now the price I paid was appropriate, I didn't have to mess around with insurance, GAP changes (which I had to do privately), or fork out more cash for the newer model.  Plus I have a 2023 plated car at a 2022 price now.

I've had the car nearly a month now, done 800+ miles in this time, averaging 58mpg (mix of city, rural and motorway) and am really happy with it and how it looks.   Highest mpg so far was a short drive into a village where according to the app I got 216.3mpg.   The tinted windows (its Design spec) with the Manhattan Grey really sets it off.  Still adapting to Hybrid driving compared to my previous car (smoother acceleration, brake earlier etc). but its actually more relaxing than driving previous cars so I am enjoying it.  

Will keep it for 3 years and then move up to a newer model.  

To anyone else in this situation, know your rights.   I spoke to trading standards beforehand.   Take any T&Cs with you and dont be fobbed off.  Be polite but firm.  Show the dealer you want to find an amicable way out for both parties and you should find like myself you have a positive outcome.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links