Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2023 Toyota Corolla Question

gmh123

Hi everyone

I've recently bought a 2023 (reg June) 1.8 Corolla Hybrid.   I've noticed recently that other models in the 2023 range seem to have a different dashboard.    Mine has the volume control on the multimedia screen, and digital dash in the middle with fuel/temp/rev dial either side.

I've noticed an earlier registered car (Mar 2023) with the newer dashboard, with the volume buttons on the screen and the fully digital dashboard.   

I was under the impression the 2023 Toyota Corolla had the 5th Generation engine fitted, however, checking the GOV website, mine says its CO2 emissions are 111g and the one registered in March is 106g, which makes me think mine doesnt have the newer engine fitted.

Did Toyota change the engines during the year, or the interior designs?  I'm really confused!

Toyota made some mid year updates to the 2023 Corolla Hybrid, including both interior design and engine options. Earlier 2023 March registration.This likely has the previous generation dashboard layout you saw, with physical volume buttons and a partially digital instrument cluster.

Later 2023 June registration and yours falls into this category with the newer design featuring touch controls for volume on the multimedia screen and a fully digital instrument cluster.

New 1.8L Hybrid System and this engine option became available in mid 2023, boasting improved fuel efficiency leading to the 106g CO2 emissions you saw.

Previous Hybrid System your June 2023 Corolla Hybrid might have the earlier hybrid system, which explains the 111g CO2 emissions.

Toyota introduced a new dashboard design and more efficient engine option around the mid-point of the 2023 Corolla Hybrid production year and it's possible your June 2023 model still has the earlier setup.

Hope this helps.:smile:

@Bperthanks very much for the reply.   However, I think your reply is the wrong way around!

The March 2023 car I saw had the digital dash and no volume control on the multimedia screen.

The June 2023 car I own has the volume knob on the screen and partial digital dash.

Looking further into this, on my Toyota account for the VIN number it says under model "Corolla Hybrid MY22".   I think I have been sold a car which was made in 2022 but for some reason, not registered until June 2023, but under the guise of a 2023 model.  

Maybe a cancelled order that sat unregistered and was last of the previous production. 

• Like 2

@gmh123for sure you have a pre-facelift 4th gen engine...

• Like 1

You have a 2022 model specs car registered in 2023. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gmh123 said:

@Bperthanks very much for the reply.   However, I think your reply is the wrong way around!

The March 2023 car I saw had the digital dash and no volume control on the multimedia screen.

The June 2023 car I own has the volume knob on the screen and partial digital dash.

Looking further into this, on my Toyota account for the VIN number it says under model "Corolla Hybrid MY22".   I think I have been sold a car which was made in 2022 but for some reason, not registered until June 2023, but under the guise of a 2023 model.  

Sorry for getting it back to front but I blame the wife for asking me what else we need for the weekly shop while typing the response.:biggrin:

based on the information you've provided, if I have got this right, it looks like you were sold a 2022 model year Toyota Corolla Hybrid. The model year (MY) in the VIN number refers to when the car was manufactured, not necessarily when it was registered. So, even though it wasn't registered until June 2023, it could still be considered a 2022 model.👍

VIN model year (MY22): Indicates the car was built in 2022

Registered in June 2023: Doesn't necessarily affect the model year

I hope I've got this right.:biggrin:

• Like 1

Yes you have.

I am still within my 30 days / 1000 exchange period so I am going back to the dealer.

Thanks all for your help.

• Like 2

Advantage of 2023 model are extra power up from 121 to 140hp I believe but the older engine seams to be more fuel efficient.. So depends on what you want. 

• Like 1

The true 2023 model also has a different front headlight and grill design and the rear bumper is also a new design. My Corolla was registered in June 2023 straight from the factory in Derby and is a 2023 spec. I'm sorry to say that yours is a 2022 spec that has been registered in 2023. If the dealer says it's a 2023 spec then take it further if you don't want to keep it. Would be useful if you could show some photos of your car.

• Like 1

When I was looking for my car I found there were several dealers with older 22 models registered in 23, I nearly got caught out by one. It didn’t help that many of the listings had the wrong horsepower listed. 

there was a local dealer that had two 23 plate 1.8s that were nearly a year old and under 100 miles but were the old model. It was only when I pressed them they admitted they were the old model. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sportse said:

When I was looking for my car I found there were several dealers with older 22 models registered in 23, I nearly got caught out by one. It didn’t help that many of the listings had the wrong horsepower listed. 

there was a local dealer that had two 23 plate 1.8s that were nearly a year old and under 100 miles but were the old model. It was only when I pressed them they admitted they were the old model. 

When my dealer finally got a 'MY23' demonstrator, in late May 2023, it was actually a MY22. This was immediately obvious as the infotainment screen had a knob on it rather than just the three buttons along the bottom.

The sales staff did not apparently spot this until I pointed it out to them...

• Like 2

Spoke with the main dealer today and argued the price paid was for a 2023 model not 2022 - however they argued the price was correct.   Looking at their group stock, a 2022 model is going for around £2k less than I paid for mine.  

So I spoke with Trading Standards who informed me that what the dealers are do is mis-selling and under law if the goods dont match the description, then I have the right to return the vehicle in 30 days and request a refund.  However I dont really want to go down this route as things will get messy and I need a car at the end of the day.  Ultimately - the dealer on their website had the description as "Toyota Corolla 2023 (23)"   denoting the number plate year and model year - this being incorrect.

The dealer is willing to look at the 30 day policy and I have asked to look at another vehicle which is definitely a 2023 model allbeit slightly more cost.  However, trading standards have informed me that any other costs where I am out of pocket, e.g amendment fees on insurance etc. can be claimed back from the dealer.

Lets see how this goes - I'm surprised this practice is taking place throughout the Toyota dealership network.... its illegal.

• Like 3

Our VIN number is 17 characters in length with the 14th and 15th ones being 73. Does this confirm that it is a 73 model?

IIRC, last 6 digits are the unique VIN number. Rest of the VIN denotes model type, year origin of manufacture. I recently found a VIN decoder but it wasn't exact for UK. Model code indicated TS but mine is hatch.

Yes, last 6 are the unique production number, combinations prior to that constitute model/production year and i can't find a good resource for UK VIN (north america slightly different) 

*to best of my knowledge 

It's unfortunate to get taken advantage of due to a lack of knowledge on 2022 and 2023 spec Corolla's. It's not your fault at all. The salesman should have been more open and honest and caring instead of chasing the money. Very bad practice.

• Like 2

If it was me I will speak with branch manager and then if issue not resolved I will escalate to the owner and ceo and then to Toyota head office above the case and request at least £2000 off as refund and 3 years free service or return the car for refund. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, gmh123 said:

Spoke with the main dealer today and argued the price paid was for a 2023 model not 2022 - however they argued the price was correct.   Looking at their group stock, a 2022 model is going for around £2k less than I paid for mine.  

So I spoke with Trading Standards who informed me that what the dealers are do is mis-selling and under law if the goods dont match the description, then I have the right to return the vehicle in 30 days and request a refund.  However I dont really want to go down this route as things will get messy and I need a car at the end of the day.  Ultimately - the dealer on their website had the description as "Toyota Corolla 2023 (23)"   denoting the number plate year and model year - this being incorrect.

The dealer is willing to look at the 30 day policy and I have asked to look at another vehicle which is definitely a 2023 model allbeit slightly more cost.  However, trading standards have informed me that any other costs where I am out of pocket, e.g amendment fees on insurance etc. can be claimed back from the dealer.

Lets see how this goes - I'm surprised this practice is taking place throughout the Toyota dealership network.... its illegal.

Without upsetting members with a pre 23 model i would go for an exchange on a 23 model and not accept a reduction in price.

The 5th generation 1.8 is far better to drive and has a more updated interior and will hold it's price better.

Just giving you my opinion.

I have a Swace registered in April 2023 and it is definitely the new engine as it has the different infotainment system and the same digital display you find on the Corolla van. However on the government website it lists the Co2 as 102g. Not sure why the emissions would be less than the equivalent Corolla!

2 hours ago, Amboyo said:

I have a Swace registered in April 2023 and it is definitely the new engine as it has the different infotainment system and the same digital display you find on the Corolla van. However on the government website it lists the Co2 as 102g. Not sure why the emissions would be less than the equivalent Corolla!

Weight, accessories, tyres make/size.. 

Who knows maybe suzuki specify a specific engine map.

All would affect emissions. Key is "equivalent" not identical. 

Sorry, not on topic, but may be no point to create a new thread. 

Does anybody know when Corolla Touring 2ltr with new more powerful engine started to come out or being registered.

I am considering one to buy but as per above some of them seems to come with more powerful engine (194bhp I think) and better fuel consumption but still have an infotainment system with the knob. Do they have a new generation hybrid system or I need to look for the car with fully touch screen to be sure the car has all the latest engine and hybrid?

Thanks and sorry for intruding. 

There is a sales balance between MY and Plate.  To the uninitiated there is no difference and they are happy with a 24 Plate.

When it comes to resale the 24 Plate will command a premium as to others the car is clearly newer.  Model variation to an observer is not apparent. 

The Yaris Cross is now in exactly the same situation. My MY22 was delivered on 1st March.  The YC I will actually be getting in a couple of months will be MY24.  The person buying the car that I ordered should be happy, new car, 24 Plate, lower cost.

@VladMD good questions.   Best is to interrogate the salesman.  Make sure he knows exactly what you expect. 

• Like 1

Problem is the change here is significant in terms of the engine being totally different.  I told the dealer I wanted a 2023 model because of this change otherwise @Roy124 I would agree with you.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links