Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Anyone fitted mud flaps on the GT/GR86 and had problems

olddriver

I just wondered if there are any problems like corrosion or build up of crud around them?  I would put some grease, that they use in the marine environment, on the screws and could replenish it every now and then, so corrosion shouldn’t be a problem. Additionally, I may only fit the front ones as there is not much to protect at the back.

If anyone is interested, this is an American video showing how to fit them, it looks pretty simple, I assume they are universal:-

https://youtu.be/i4YpjcEzc30

I put this here because I would think that the fittings are the same for both cars and there is more of a chance of someone having them fitted to a GT

Hi,mud flaps can trap dirt and debris behind them, which can speed up corrosion over time. Its always worth to clean the area behind the mud flaps regularly when washing the car.

Some mud flaps require drilling into the cars wheel well, which can create potential rust points if not properly sealed. Choosing no drill mud flaps if they are available can help prevent this happening.

Universal mud flaps may require more trimming and adjusting to fit your car perfectly. Consider mud flaps specific to your car might be easier. Its a good idea, using marine grade grease is a good choice as its water resistance. While that works, rear mud flaps can still help protect from road spray and debris kicked up by other vehicles. Hope this helps:smile:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Bper.

I was intending to buy the Toyota mud flaps, and assuming the American version is exactly the same as ours, the vertical surfaces abut a plastic panel (see video pic) and you use the original screw holes, so no additional corrosion problems there, and there is an advantage that I can grease the original screw holes.  However there could be a corrosion problem adjacent to the horizontal surface, as a hole has to be drilled underneath.

IMG_6015.png

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links