Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Our Corolla gets better!

Pannett

Yesterday and today I was driving the same route with the satnav off. I received spoken warnings on both days regarding traffic hold-ups a mile ahead. Both turned out to be temporary traffic lights for roadworks. Today's first set of workings only began yesterday, so I'm amazed how the clever satnav was made aware of the potential obstruction. The second set of workings were on a main road just after a sharp bend, so the warning was very helpful.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi David,many cars including some Toyota models come equipped with DAB (Digital Audio Broadcasting) radio that incorporates traffic message channel TMC functionality. TMC broadcasts traffic updates, including roadworks, accidents, and congestion, from local authorities. Your car's DAB radio decodes this information and converts it into spoken warnings through the Speakers.

As you mentioned before, you might have a smartphone app installed that provides real time traffic information. Popular options  include Waze and Google Maps. These apps use a combination of GPS data from your phone and crowdsourced information from other users to identify traffic congestion and potential delays.  When connected to your car's infotainment system via Apple CarPlay or Android Auto, these apps can provide spoken alerts through the car's Speakers.

Given that the new roadworks were picked up, TMC via DAB radio seems like the most likely explanation. TMC updates are regularly transmitted and include information on newly implemented roadworks.

DAB Radio (TMC) Free, doesn't require an internet connection, covers a wide range of roads. Limited information compared to apps, updates might be delayed.Smartphone App often provides more detailed information than TMC,and it can offer alternative routes. It requires an internet connection, data usage and charges might apply, and not all apps are free.These sound more likely based on how you're using your phone or the features of your Corolla. Hope this helps :smile:

Thanks Bob. That is a detailed and very helpful answer.

On 3/27/2024 at 6:17 PM, Pannett said:

Yesterday and today I was driving the same route with the satnav off. I received spoken warnings on both days regarding traffic hold-ups a mile ahead. Both turned out to be temporary traffic lights for roadworks. Today's first set of workings only began yesterday, so I'm amazed how the clever satnav was made aware of the potential obstruction. The second set of workings were on a main road just after a sharp bend, so the warning was very helpful.

The spoken warnings are from the Toyota system whether satnav in use or not and I find them useful and accurate. Even when using CarPlay Apple Maps nav these Toyota warnings still occur

I’ve never had these warnings in my 2020 corolla excel. Is it on later models only?

5 hours ago, Steven83 said:

I’ve never had these warnings in my 2020 corolla excel. Is it on later models only?

I think the infotainment units changed in 22 to the new system

Hopefully my TMC will be fixed this month, image from Corolla MY23.

TMC never worked since new, first visit booked into a Toyota dealer gave the response, all software levels are upto date. Booked in again later this month. Other issue is the poor DAB/FM reception compared to my previous Corolla MY21. Hopefully both fixed then.   

Everything else on the car is great.

NoTrafficUpdate.thumb.jpg.c9f4ce5c4f880b774c2c0caefed09e79.jpg

13 hours ago, FreddoChoc said:

Hopefully my TMC will be fixed this month, image from Corolla MY23.

TMC never worked since new, first visit booked into a Toyota dealer gave the response, all software levels are upto date. Booked in again later this month. Other issue is the poor DAB/FM reception compared to my previous Corolla MY21. Hopefully both fixed then.   

Everything else on the car is great.

NoTrafficUpdate.thumb.jpg.c9f4ce5c4f880b774c2c0caefed09e79.jpg

Hey after reading your post I realised mine wasn't working either so I decided to investigate.

In the UK, TMC is broadcast using the Classic FM network. So I switched to FM on the radio and scanned for Classic FM, which is broadcast between 99.9 and 101.9 FM. 

I found Classic on 100.3 FM and manually entered that on the TMC frequency.

Now connected.

Picsart_24-04-01_10-56-58-823.thumb.jpg.1632b16fee482e51e1a0799052703bee.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links