Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Retrofit advanced features in a Proace Van Medium

Steve347

Hi,

is it possible to retrofit the following things without too much effort? (I mean not invasive and that don't require a mortgage)

1. Adaptive Cruise Control

I have it in my current car, and it's so comfortable, I do mostly highway mileage and I really need it, the one I'm looking has cruise control, but if I'm not wrong, it does just acceleration, then it unplugs when there is a car too nearby based on the speed you are, then it resumes if you press the button "res", but it doesn't break. So, it doesn't resume speed and it doesn't break in my understanding.

I'm concerned about the warranty though, I'm afraid that doing it with Toyota won't be a few coins.

2. On the other side, it has emergency breaking, but I'm not sure how this one works, is it part of the cruise control feature or the Van is supposed to stop if it identifies a person or other critical items? (without using cruise control)

3. Rear camera (always ON)

I saw that also Halfords offers the product + mounting, I just hope it doesn't leave a floating cable 🤪

4. Wide mirrors

I don't see a problem with them, but it's probably cheaper with cameras or proximity sensor??

The upgrade on the website is relatively cheap (25 pounds each), but replacing the entire mirror must be another story 🥶, so I'm evaluating alternatives to see better on my sides

5. Carpeting

I would need to replace the entire floor in the back, carpets look cheap and it doesn't suit me anyway, I need metal based floor, but labour is not cheap. I also need to replace the panels on the sides.

Overall, how much I would looking to spend with all these things?

Moreover, is it feasible technically without much effort? (excluding the floor 🙂 )

I just wish to replicate the comfort of my current car 😌

I think I found something: https://www.toyota.co.uk/discover-toyota/stories-news-events/safety-firsts

The Pre-Collision System is cool, but I'm not sure how I won't damage the components if it really stops in low speed, it can happen quite a few times per year, with the automatic gearbox is fine, but manual is just a risk for the engine etc in my opinion.

Lane Trace Assist is cool too, I think that this one is way more complicated to implement, but let's see...

Hi Steve,

Adaptive Cruise Control, is extremely difficult and expensive retrofit. ACC requires complex sensors and integration with braking systems. It's not designed for aftermarket installation and could compromise safety. Consider the van's existing cruise control as an alternative.

Emergency Braking, this can be a standalone system or part of ACC. It uses sensors to detect potential collisions and automatically applies brakes.  Check your owner's manual to see if your van has emergency braking Forward Collision Warning or Autonomous Emergency Braking. It's not recommended for retrofit due to the complexity and potential safety concerns.

Rear Camera, a reasonable and cost effective retrofit. The cost ranges from £70 to £350 depending on camera quality and installation complexity. Look for kits specific to your van model for easier installation. Professional installers will hide wires behind trim panels. Consider Halfords, but compare prices and reviews with other installers.

Wide Mirrors is a simple and affordable way to improve visibility. The cost is £20-£70 per mirror depending on style and features. Upgrading mirror inserts might be cheaper than replacing the whole mirror assembly. Blind spot monitoring systems are another option, but pricier.

Carpeting and Metal Floor, replacing carpeting is possible, but a metal floor is a major modification. Explore alternatives like durable rubber floor mats that are easier to clean. Replacing side panels can be expensive. Consider using heavy duty floor mats and seat covers for a similar effect at a lower cost

Replicating your current car's comfort might not be fully achievable, but improvements are possible.I would Focus on cost effective upgrades like a rear camera and wider mirrors. Consider alternatives for carpeting and explore heavy duty floor mats.

It's important to prioritise safety. Avoid complex retrofits like ACC and emergency braking that could compromise your van's systems.

Here are some additional ideas to improve your van's comfort without extensive modifications.

Seating, invest in comfortable seat covers with additional padding and lumbar support. Consider adding aftermarket armrests for long journeys.

Storage, Utilise shelving units, cargo nets, bins, and organisers to keep your belongings secure and organised.

Climate Control,window tints can regulate temperature and provide privacy. Portable fans and heaters can be used for temporary climate control.

Lighting Install LED strip lights for better lighting and a more inviting atmosphere.

Sound Deadening, applying sound deadening mats can significantly reduce road noise for a quieter driving experience.

Entertainment,upgrade the head unit to one with bluetooth for hands free calls and music streaming.

Remember, prioritise safety over extensive modifications. These recommendations can enhance your van's comfort without compromising functionality or safety hope this helps:smile:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links