Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris MK3 12v battery replacement

samo111

Hi, I recently purchased a 2015 Yaris, but the car needs a jump start if I don't drive it for a few days. It seems I need a new Battery fitted but I'm unsure which one to buy. I've seen a few people here recommend Yuasa YBX5202 but would that be compatible with my car? or do I need to buy an agm Battery.

It might help if you provide further details of the car, rather than just  "2015 Yaris". Do you know if it's the original Battery?

I replaced the original Varta 12v Battery with the same a couple of years ago. It's been fine. 1.33l Petrol Multidrive Mk 3 (pre facelift).

The YBX5202/HB202 is for the Mk4 and is just suggested because that's the physical size of Battery that's known to fit (175x175 footprint).

IIRC the Mk3 uses a different-sized Battery, but it seems it doesn't have to be AGM. I think Toyota used AGM for safety, as the Battery is inside the car and AGMs dont spill acid everywhere if they're cracked open, but apparently this isn't a concern now since the Mk4 uses a very primitive flooded battery like we used in the 70s :laugh: 

Easiest thing to do is put your registration in a site like https://www.tayna.co.uk or https://www.halfords.com and it should show compatible batteries.

If it is a hybrid the Battery lives under the back seat and it uses a AGM Battery - S34B20R (28800-YZZPC) best bet is a dealer they are not cheap at £150

if it is a petrol or diesel it's a standard Battery under the bonnet

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Slartybartfast said:

It might help if you provide further details of the car, rather than just  "2015 Yaris". Do you know if it's the original battery?

I replaced the original Varta 12v battery with the same a couple of years ago. It's been fine. 1.33l Petrol Multidrive Mk 3 (pre facelift).

29 minutes ago, flash22 said:

If it is a hybrid the battery lives under the back seat and it uses a AGM battery - S34B20R (28800-YZZPC) best bet is a dealer they are not cheap at £150

if it is a petrol or diesel it's a standard battery under the bonnet

I've now checked under the backseat and it looks like the previous owner replaced the original Battery with a drivetec 054 car Battery. Im not too keen on spending £150 on AGM Battery so I may buy the bosch S4019 40ah.

dm054_drivetec_web.webp51TAZ1E5QQL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

I've now checked under the backseat and it looks like the previous owner replaced the original battery with a drivetec 054 car battery. Im not too keen on spending £150 on AGM battery so I may buy the bosch S4019 40ah.

This may have been covered elsewhere but why do hybrids use AGM batteries is it for safety reasons (not having acid inside the car) or something else?

11 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

why do hybrids use AGM batteries

Not sure it matters. The thing is that the charging system will be set up for AGM, so using a standard one may be sub-optimal.

Interesting that the car is only 9 years old but has gone through (at least) 2 batteries. As the most recent was apparently not an AGM it makes me wonder if that has failed because of an incorrect charging regime.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MikeSh said:

Not sure it matters. The thing is that the charging system will be set up for AGM, so using a standard one may be sub-optimal.

Interesting that the car is only 9 years old but has gone through (at least) 2 batteries. As the most recent was apparently not an AGM it makes me wonder if that has failed because of an incorrect charging regime.

I bought the car with only 35k on the clock maybe that affected the Battery since it wasn't being charged fully due to short trips

Looking at the picture you provided, the Battery terminals are at opposite ends.  The positive terminal is on the right side of the drivetec Battery but it’s on the left side of the Bosch.  Just be careful you choose the correct  battery and that the leads line up with the respective terminals.

so it's a 2015 hybrid, yes it needs to be an AGM Battery that's why you are in this situation, AGM batteries charge at a higher voltage and a lower current than a traditional wet Battery which will kill a non-AGM Battery

the previous owner cheaped out - you are paying for it now

the Mk3 Yaris hybrid uses a right-hand negative with standard posts (T3)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, samo111 said:

I bought the car with only 35k on the clock maybe that affected the battery since it wasn't being charged fully due to short trips

More likely the original got over-discharged and damaged during COVID lockdowns and as @flash22 says above was replaced with a cheap one. If you aren't going to keep it long you can do the same and hope it will be the next owners problem.

It's the buy cheap, buy twice thing.

During the lockdown availability of the AGM batteries was very hit and miss iirc there was a 3-month back order at one point plus some (a lot) of price gouging, so it may have been done as a stop gap

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links