Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo X 2024 extremely slow going from 60 to 100km/hr

Shinny321

Hi all. I'm an experienced driver and have mostly only driven older manual cars and newer automatics so there's a lot to get used to in my new Aygo X, 2024 model!

I've never driven a 1.0 liter engine before and it is taking getting used to. However, I'm a little concerned. I have not - knowingly - used any adaptive cruise control or speed limiter on the vehicle so I don't think this was the problem. I was on a motorway, came off an exit and had to remerge into the next part of the motorway. The merge slip was short, and the car was appallingly slow to move from 60 - 100 once I had entered into the slow lane. To move from 60 to 70 took several seconds - sorry, bad at guessing the precise amount of time but it was just so slow. A lot of cars had to overtake me. This stretch of the road was also sloping uphill for all of this time and I tried going into 4th gear and even 3rd gear and the car just would not pick up speed quickly enough - it picked up to 100 eventually but took ages. 

Is this normal at all or does it sound like I accidentally had the speed limiter set or something else? Could it be the mode? I think there is Eco, Sport and Normal? I think I'm in Eco have to check when I'm at the car again!

I don't know the terminology but on the left of the display there's a counter going up to 10 (revs I think) and this will never go past 3, even when I'm in 4th gear with foot on the gas pedal. Should this go up higher when you are constantly accelerating up in speed?

Appreciate any help at all. 

• Confused 1

The short answer is you're in the wrong gear.

It's a 1.0L 3-cylinder NA engine - It's never going to be rapid, but all the power is at the top end.

It's a bit disconcerting if you're not used to it - Back when I went back to petrol land from the wonderful world of turbo-diesel, it took me a while to get over it as I was used to having maximum torque at 2000rpm onward, but once I did I quickly learned that if you want a small NA petrol to move, you need to use ALL the revs.

Especially as these are japanese engines, they are designed to be revved and all the power is at the top-end - If you've never driven such a small japanese engine before, this will take some getting used to: Don't be afraid to rev it when needed.

Assuming you're talking in kph speeds, 60kph is just over 30mph IIRC - In an Aygo, I'd be doing that in 2nd gear if I wanted acceleration :laugh: ; For true boy racer hooning, you shouldn't even be looking at the 4th and 5th gears until you're at cruising speed. If you want any kind of noticeable acceleration, stick with 1st to 3rd and rev it out.

• Like 5

Hi Shinny,It sounds like you're experiencing the limitations of a small engine, possibly compounded by being in Eco mode and some unfamiliarity with the 1.0 liter engine's power.The 1.0 liter engine in the Aygo X is designed for fuel efficiency, not necessarily raw power. It might feel sluggish, especially when merging or climbing hills. This is a common characteristic of smaller engines.

Eco mode prioritises fuel economy by detuning engine performance. This could explain the sluggish acceleration. Try switching to normal mode for a more responsive driving  especially when merging.You are right, the counter on the left displays RPM in Eco mode, the car might limit the RPM to keep fuel consumption low. You should see the counter go higher in other modes, especially when accelerating.

Check if you're in Eco mode. Try switching to Normal or Sport mode for better acceleration, especially when merging. While you tried 4th and 3rd gear, sometimes staying in a lower gear and pushing the revs a bit higher can give a quicker response than shifting to a higher gear for acceleration. Experiment to find the right balance between revs and speed. Every engine has a sweet spot in its RPM range where it delivers the most power. Experiment to find the RPM range where your Aygo X feels most responsive.It's unlikely the speed limiter was accidentally set. Speed limiters typically only allow you to reach a set speed, not prevent exceeding a certain hope this helps:smile:

• Like 3

For the manual gear box (i assume the CVT is similar) the speed ratings are below. Do not be afraid to rev it out to get up to speed! 

The engine does not have a lot of torque, so trying to accelerate through a gear from low revs> high takes a while. You need to work through the gears and build up momentum to get to the desired speed. 

Shift position 

Maximum speed km/h (mph)

48 (29)

87 (54)

137 (85)

• Like 1

What !!! There's a Eco, Normal and Sport mode in the Aygo X 🥺.

I assume my Aygo X Auto has this ?  If so, I'll be testing it later today !!

• Haha 1

Hi,

I have a CVT Aygo X.

I did not find any way to change the driving mode, it is always in "Eco" unless I change gears manually.

• Like 3

I've just checked mine and there's nothing that I can see on my Auto apart from the ECO Mode.  If that's the only mode there is, there's no need to show it, especially with a little green leaf !!

And there was me thinking I was going to be able to give my Aygo X a wee boost, sadly not.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, 152bobby said:

I've just checked mine and there's nothing that I can see on my Auto apart from the ECO Mode.  If that's the only mode there is, there's no need to show it, especially with a little green leaf !!

And there was me thinking I was going to be able to give my Aygo X a wee boost, sadly not.

The clue is in the name......."Aygo slowly".

I have owned 2 Aygos and the only way to progress more quickly than a glacier was to keep the revs up in each gear and drive it like a go kart. Otherwise, a cracking little car  providing cheap as chips ultra reliable motoring.

If Toyota had installed an engine with 100hp I might have been tempted to get another one.

To put 70hp into perspective, it is less than any of the motorbikes I owned over 30 years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

To be honest it's the only real regret of me buying this car.  At the time of research and extended test drives prior to purchase, I thought I could live with it, but as time goes on, I can't !!!

I've never really owned any "fast" cars worth mentioning, but this will definitely be my last "slow" car. 🤣

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

You just need to put your foot down and change down to 2nd to go up hills. But the engine doesn't mind being revved hard lol.

• Like 4

I wouldn't have one as my only car due to the compact size, lack of refinement at higher speeds and limited power which are not ideal for long motorway journeys. However for my current use of commuting, local journeys, shopping etc its the ideal machine. 

If you do want to make it faster, for 4K you can get a supercharger kit which bolts straight on, bringing the power up to circa 120BHP. 

https://www.tegiwaimports.com/tts-performance-rotrex-supercharger-kit-toyota-aygo.html

https://youtu.be/PjLPeAcUD6k

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 152bobby said:

To be honest it's the only real regret of me buying this car.  At the time of research and extended test drives prior to purchase, I thought I could live with it, but as time goes on, I can't !!!

I've never really owned any "fast" cars worth mentioning, but this will definitely be my last "slow" car. 🤣

I see you are from Berkshire so  you may have experienced the steep hill on the M40 at High Wycombe. I used to get my Aygo flat out going down the hill to gain maximum momentum in the hope of getting up the other side without ending up in 3rd or even 2nd gear. The only time I managed it was in very light traffic.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, DJ123 said:

I wouldn't have one as my only car due to the compact size, lack of refinement at higher speeds and limited power which are not ideal for long motorway journeys. However for my current use of commuting, local journeys, shopping etc its the ideal machine. 

If you do want to make it faster, for 4K you can get a supercharger kit which bolts straight on, bringing the power up to circa 120BHP. 

https://www.tegiwaimports.com/tts-performance-rotrex-supercharger-kit-toyota-aygo.html

https://youtu.be/PjLPeAcUD6k

Wow, 8 seconds, that would be VERY nice for when needed, thanks for sharing👍

• Like 3

i'd be upgrading the brakes and fitting wider wheels if i did that! 

You could probably turbo it much cheaper than a SC kit, however you're then changing a lot of components to make it fit. 

• Like 1

As mentioned, you just need to alter your driving style for the smaller 3 cyl engine, it likes to rev, so use that to your advantage. Agree, at cruising motorway speeds an incline does slow things down, but drop down and build up again. On the plus side, ours has tackled some steep nearby hills easily in 3rd where our bigger/heavier cars needed 2nd. Not driven an Aygo X, but probably like our other Mk2, it better built with more tech, so is therefore a heavier old hector, so that also doesn't help, the price of progress! That being said round town and locally, ours is still the perfect choice and you have fun doing it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 152bobby said:

I pressed a button on the steering wheel the other day and a multi display came up on the dash clocks I, am going to try it again and see if changes anything 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Dave the aygo said:

I pressed a button on the steering wheel the other day and a multi display came up on the dash clocks I, am going to try it again and see if changes anything 

In the menu with the Eco "fig" leaf icon, I clicked through everything and found nothing, let me know if you find something 👍

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 152bobby said:

In the menu with the Eco "fig" leaf icon, I clicked through everything and found nothing, let me know if you find something 👍

Just checked the handbook if you put gearstick in m mode its now in sport mode 7 gears???? Not tried it yet

• Haha 1

I think just putting the gearstick into M means you can either use the paddles or flick the gearstick up and down sort of like a manual.

Not exactly ideal, after buying a AUTOMATIC car !!

I have used this (both paddles and the gearstick) just out of curiosity.  If you try and hammer it, the revs just runaway with themselves, just like if it was in auto mode.

So, without me digging out my handbook (which I probably will), in auto mode does it use less gears than in the manual mode ?....I just can't see a wee car like this having 7 gears !!

• Like 1

Guys! I am so sorry I haven't replied since. I had to do a lot of driving yesterday right after writing this original post, and was driving all day today also. I had caught a glimpse of the first two replies yesterday that came in right after I posted and  want to just say thank you so much for your advice. It has changed everything. I'm in 3rd gear now when merging onto motorways to get up to speed on time, and on stretches on slopes where I need to pick up speed quickly to maintain my speed and not have someone back rear me, I'm then in 2nd gear the occasional time this happens!

Re. Eco, sport and normal mode - I wasn't sure about these being on the Aygo X -  I saw the green fig eco sign somewhere on the dash and had  read online that Toyota cars have these modes so I thought that this could be a reason for this issue but I since searched in settings and I can't find these modes anywhere. I think this drive mode button should usually be next to the gearbox or on another panel but it's not on mine at least and there doesn't seem to be another switch for this available from dash settings. The only 'mode' button is on the steering wheel that seems to be for the media/ radio which really disappointed me! Sorry if I've misled anyone accidentally!!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, 152bobby said:

I think just putting the gearstick into M means you can either use the paddles or flick the gearstick up and down sort of like a manual.

Not exactly ideal, after buying a AUTOMATIC car !!

I have used this (both paddles and the gearstick) just out of curiosity.  If you try and hammer it, the revs just runaway with themselves, just like if it was in auto mode.

So, without me digging out my handbook (which I probably will), in auto mode does it use less gears than in the manual mode ?....I just can't see a wee car like this having 7 gears !!

I may have read it wrong but it also says it will  still change gear if the revs  are to high or low will look again tomorrow 

19 minutes ago, Dave the aygo said:

Just checked the handbook if you put gearstick in m mode its now in sport mode 7 gears???? Not tried it yet

I just had to dig out the manual 🤣

17124341645895077698969672502251.jpg

3 minutes ago, 152bobby said:

I just had to dig out the manual 🤣

17124341645895077698969672502251.jpg

17124343510517794706148823599310.jpg

So it has got sport mode didn't know that

11 hours ago, 152bobby said:

17124343510517794706148823599310.jpg

Thank you.

In Manual, the dashboard no longer displays 'Eco' in green, but it does not read 'Sport'.

When one selects gears manually, no surprise they can drive more sportily, by taking better advantage of the engine power and revving harder, at the expense of the fuel efficiency. But I would call it 'Manual mode', not 'Sport mode' 😆

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links