Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo X 2024 extremely slow going from 60 to 100km/hr

Shinny321

18 hours ago, Wiz201 said:

You just need to put your foot down and change down to 2nd to go up hills. But the engine doesn't mind being revved hard lol.

In the long run, I don't think it's very good 😕

When I drive a manual car, I try to keep the revs low both for the engine and fuel economy.

When I drove my brand new Aygo X downhill with the CVT locked in 3rd gear to have some engine brake and the engine reached 4500/5000 RPM, it did not feel very pleasant. Same thing on the motorway.

1 hour ago, zuh said:

Thank you.

In Manual, the dashboard no longer displays 'Eco' in green, but it does not read 'Sport'.

When one selects gears manually, no surprise they can drive more sportily, by taking better advantage of the engine power and revving harder, at the expense of the fuel efficiency. But I would call it 'Manual mode', not 'Sport mode' 😆

So you have tried manual/sport mode does it make any difference to the way the car performs??  That's the question you must have more control over gear changing and how high the revs ares to be honest I have drove the car in, traffic at roundabouts dual carriageways up hills and, I don't know if me but it doesn't bother me OK it does rev a bit but the power still seems to be there I think it may be as drivers we may be a bit heavy footed and the Aygo x wasn't made for it it's still a city car 

2 hours ago, Dave the aygo said:

So you have tried manual/sport mode does it make any difference to the way the car performs??

I am sorry, I have not noticed any difference in performance so far. I will try more carefully and let you know.

👍

On 4/5/2024 at 2:24 PM, Shinny321 said:

Hi all. I'm an experienced driver and have mostly only driven older manual cars and newer automatics so there's a lot to get used to in my new Aygo X, 2024 model!

I've never driven a 1.0 liter engine before and it is taking getting used to. However, I'm a little concerned. I have not - knowingly - used any adaptive cruise control or speed limiter on the vehicle so I don't think this was the problem. I was on a motorway, came off an exit and had to remerge into the next part of the motorway. The merge slip was short, and the car was appallingly slow to move from 60 - 100 once I had entered into the slow lane. To move from 60 to 70 took several seconds - sorry, bad at guessing the precise amount of time but it was just so slow. A lot of cars had to overtake me. This stretch of the road was also sloping uphill for all of this time and I tried going into 4th gear and even 3rd gear and the car just would not pick up speed quickly enough - it picked up to 100 eventually but took ages. 

Is this normal at all or does it sound like I accidentally had the speed limiter set or something else? Could it be the mode? I think there is Eco, Sport and Normal? I think I'm in Eco have to check when I'm at the car again!

I don't know the terminology but on the left of the display there's a counter going up to 10 (revs I think) and this will never go past 3, even when I'm in 4th gear with foot on the gas pedal. Should this go up higher when you are constantly accelerating up in speed?

Appreciate any help at all. 

The problem is only one and it is the drive train. 
CVT + small engine equals poor performance and totally unsuitable for high speed motorway drives. And by high speeds I mean 50+ mph (80+ kph. )
Even Toyota larger engines including all hybrids aren’t good for high speeds high torque transmission applications. , although they are much better than Aygo they still give this no power feel. 
Nothing wrong with the car, it’s just what it is. 
Any potential buyer should take extensive test drive before purchasing one. 
Another thing that makes Aygo x underpowered is the times we live in, where there are so many cars( bev’s and turbo petrol)  that have super fast acceleration, so cars like yours simply doesn’t fit into the environment. 
My car is also slow, but I don’t care and never even try to fit the latest trend of stupidity “ keep up with traffic “ which means race track or rally drive. 

I think the ECO thing just lights up if the car thinks you're driving economically, and isn't indicative of a specific drive mode like on e.g. the hybrids.

My dad's Verso has an indicator like that and it lights up if I drive gently but goes out if i start giving it the proverbial beans.

The 7 gear thing just fakes 7 gears on the CVT - It doesn't actually have 7 gears (You could argue it actually has infinity gears :laugh: )

• Like 3

5 hours ago, zuh said:

In the long run, I don't think it's very good 😕

When I drive a manual car, I try to keep the revs low both for the engine and fuel economy.

When I drove my brand new Aygo X downhill with the CVT locked in 3rd gear to have some engine brake and the engine reached 4500/5000 RPM, it did not feel very pleasant. Same thing on the motorway.

Yeah I had that same issue coming from a diesel car - It felt very uncomfortable to rev past 3000 rpm, as you almost never have to do that in a turbo-diesel unless you're going full hooligan.

You have to get over that in a petrol though - Petrol engines have a much taller rpm band than diesel engines so you can't drive them in the same narrow band as you would with diesel.

The top gears especially are for maintaining a cruising speed but aren't meant to be used for acceleration and doing so just strains the engine unnecessarily.

Don't be afraid of high-revs in petrol engines, especially japanese ones - The drivetrain components are much lighter than diesel components and they are designed to take it without excessive wear, esp. if you keep them regularly serviced with good oil.

Admittedly I'm a hooligan and find it quite fun to rev out an engine, and the 3-pot of the Aygo is quite fun to do this with with its thrummy character (And also I found it got smoother the more I revved it :laugh: )

• Like 5

https://youtu.be/VzuerZ0j9Q8?si=wrT_g70__apoN6wk

<<< AygoX 

<< older Aygo

This movie helped me to accept that high revving is possible with the AygoX.  I won't repeat it but it inspires me to not always shift at 3000 rpm.

Whenever you need to overtake or go onto a highway fast, don't think about the engine later consuming oil or mpg's for 20 seconds :biggrin:

Still : I know a truckstop on the highway where I am in trouble if I need to merge into traffic because the extra lane to merge is so short and really nobody can be in my way or it is getting dangerous (think it's an airplane on a runway at take off). So even when you Rev the engine, it doesn't solve the problem entirely.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links