Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Estima Hybrid - Leaving unattended in Neutral

Stephen29

I was inspecting mine yesterday, and jacking up front left wheel. I wanted to spin the wheel to check on play / binding /noises (not that I was expecting or found any).
Cant spin it in Park, so wanted to put in Neutral. Only way to do so was to power on, select N. Then powered off and it didnt like it  ie pleanty of 'ding-ding' to remind me  it wasnt it the expected power off state, especially if then open the door to get out.
I had to put up with the 'ding-ding' for a few moment while doing my wheel spin check, and then quickly put back into P.

Is there any way to have it powered off and 'unattended' in N?
Maybe if left it powered on and in N it would have been ok after closing door, but then the engine might come on 'randomly'.

What about if need to get it towed? or pushed   eg a small distance to get out of harms way
Manual says not to be towed except in emergency and implies need power on and N  (but what if you dont have power, which is the reason to be towed/pushed) ?
plus need steering lock unlocked 
Hope it never comes to that !

Its always been a problem with broken autos, the recovery driver needs to know what they are doing, not all do so you can damage the transmission as well.  

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE 
Just need to push the Shift Lock button, then can move the gear level into Neutral!
(make sure parking brake is on, or wheels chocked obviously)

That info come from a bit in a recent post by 'Chris' about fitting cruise control lever and needing to move the gear lever out of the way

(and Im feeling stupid now!)

• Like 1

Don't, I didnt know that, only my second auto vehicle.

Just coming back to the towing / pushing aspect.
Can put in N ok now
But there is also the steering lock  (which is unlocked by the smart key, but only? if 'ignition' is on ?
Not sure if any other way to unlock it in a towing like scenario ?

Is the steering electric/ hydraulic or fully hydraulic needing the engine running? The former would just need the start stop button pushed. Bings and bongs can be switched off via techstream.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links