Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Upgrade horn

taxidriver50005

34 minutes ago, Steven83 said:

Could it potentially void warranty or even insurance making a change like this?

By the same reasoning fitting aftermarket tyres have the same affect 

The three stages of a Toyota driver responding to another driver's idiocy.

1. Anger.
  2. Sounding the horn to remonstrate.
  3. Embarrasment.
  • Haha 4

25 minutes ago, taxidriver50005 said:

By the same reasoning fitting aftermarket tyres have the same affect 

Well I would say that is not true at all. 
tyres, brake discs, pads, filters are all serviceable items that are expected to be changed when wear sets in.

changing a horn would be a modification.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Steven83 said:

Well I would say that is not true at all. 
tyres, break discs, pads, filters are all serviceable items that are expected to be changed when wear sets in.

changing a horn would be a modification.

Shurly brake pads.. Discs. Tyres are all safty features.. Same as horn

12 minutes ago, taxidriver50005 said:

Shurly brake pads.. Discs. Tyres are all safty features.. Same as horn

I’d suggest you do some research before changing anything because I think you may be surprised. 

On 4/20/2024 at 6:48 PM, Steven83 said:

Could it potentially void warranty or even insurance making a change like this?

I believe only if the wiring of the new horn causes a direct issue related to the warranty claim.

• Like 2

On 4/20/2024 at 5:50 PM, JayCee88 said:

Is upgrading the horn an easy(ish) DIY job? Would be appreciative if someone could post a step by step. 

Yes, but might as well get an auto electrician to do it for you.

Toyota sell a twin horn setup so can't be that bad. 

38 minutes ago, taxidriver50005 said:

Toyota sell a twin horn setup so can't be that bad. 

What you need to understand about warranties and insurance is even if you make an adjustment that makes the car safer they don’t turn around and say “hey thanks so much for doing that with your own money”

What they will do is unfortunately look for any reason to NOT pay out on a claim you make. 

Thats why I’m suggesting you do some research because I’m trying to save you expensive mistake.

Just imagine you are at fault for an accident and the insurance find a modification, it’s possible they could refuse to pay out and then you will be footing the bill.

Or you have a catastrophic engine fail and you claim on warranty and they spot the horn.. it could turn in to a very large garage bill. 

your choice, I’m only trying to give you a heads up. 

• Like 2

Good points about warranty. I was also initially thinking about installing under seat subwoofers but have decided against the idea. 

These changes will most like not interfere with any warranty claims unless directly related to the parts in question, for example a subwoofer installation when warranty repair on injectors, this will not affect it. However it is still a modification that needs to be addressing to the insurance and can give a base for argument’s from some dealers. 

• Like 2

On 4/19/2024 at 7:02 PM, 50p said:

looks good value!

Buy the box.  Repackage and sell at silly prices on eBay.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

it is still a modification that needs to be addressing to the insurance and can give a base for argument’s from some dealers. 

"Has the car been modified.......?"

That is an easy question to  answer if you are the first owner or did the modification.

If you are a second owner how can you be sure that your second hand car is unmodified?

My first had a screen washer and seat belts fitted 

My second an automatic reversing light, a radio,  automatic aerial, and halogen headlight bulbs and hazard warning lights,and demodified when I removed the headlight relays. 

My next had headlight wipers,  rear fog lights (OEM supplied), headrest restraints (OEM supplied), headlight and fog light relays, upgraded headlights, fog lights, car radio and electric aerial.

These were all upgrades matching what became standard in later cars.  Unless a dealer itemised all these changes it would be impossible for a new buyer to know.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Roy124 said:

"Has the car been modified.......?"

That is an easy question to  answer if you are the first owner or did the modification.

If you are a second owner how can you be sure that your second hand car is unmodified?

My first had a screen washer and seat belts fitted 

My second an automatic reversing light, a radio,  automatic aerial, and halogen headlight bulbs and hazard warning lights,and demodified when I removed the headlight relays. 

My next had headlight wipers,  rear fog lights (OEM supplied), headrest restraints (OEM supplied), headlight and fog light relays, upgraded headlights, fog lights, car radio and electric aerial.

These were all upgrades matching what became standard in later cars.  Unless a dealer itemised all these changes it would be impossible for a new buyer to know.

Impossible, probably. But if they ask if there is a modification and you state no, then you have made a statement on a contract.

if they then find modifications they are within their rights to void it. 

I feel that some on here have reacted a bit negatively to my comments but I’m not saying this to be awkward I’m saying it to save any potential future problems for people.

if they don’t like what they hear then of course they can do what they like. 

5 minutes ago, Steven83 said:

Impossible, probably. But if they ask if there is a modification and you state no, then you have made a statement on a contract.

if they then find modifications they are within their rights to void it. 

There is no online option to say 'don't know'.

In fact I have just realised I did not declare my Dashcam.  However I started with Money Saving Expert and was specifically asked if I had a dash cam and rear reversing sensors. 

Of course the car has more sensors than that.   I expect they are included in the car type insurance rating.

Before I could afford to buy new cars, I was always wary of DIY enthusiasts who carried out electrical work/improvements and then went on to sell their cars in a private sale.  I have no doubt that there are very competent members in this forum that have carried out modifications in a safe and professional manner but when you buy a second hand car there is always the danger that the seller is an incompetent chancer.  

18 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

There is no online option to say 'don't know'.

In fact I have just realised I did not declare my dashcam.  However I started with Money Saving Expert and was specifically asked if I had a dash cam and rear reversing sensors. 

Of course the car has more sensors than that.   I expect they are included in the car type insurance rating.

Do you think they would care though if you made a claim and the they noticed modifications?

you might say but there was no box to say I don’t know.

But they are well within their rights to say well why did you make a choice then? Why didn’t you pick up the phone and have a conversation with us? or do due diligence and check.

Either way mate do what you want, I really don’t care but they idea that “oh it’s not my fault” if someone is to get themselves in bother doesn’t cut it.

Once someone clicks the ‘no modification’ button it’s a statement and if checked and found to be wrong could come back on them. 

I can’t believe this has become such a  topic of conversation, seems pretty obvious really. 

These companies will do anything they can to avoid paying out, they pretend to run a service but really they run a business and the business is making money not spending it. 

@Jimota I suspect the majority of buyers of such second hand cars would not be aware of standard and non standard parts.

We are at that stage with homes too.  My last had gate lights, power to shed, greenhouse, and power to pool heater and pump.  It was easier to knock off all the shed,  greenhouse  and pool electrics than write out instructions.  I left the alarm manual. 

Our present home has an alarm system connected by WiFi to my router and half the power sockets are smart.  Remove the router and the system crashes.  Again easier to replace the smart sockets and knock off the alarm system. 

I know several homes near me where the alarms have had to be replaced as too or disused as the new owners can't work them.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Steven83 said:

can’t believe this has become such a  topic of conversation, seems pretty obvious really. 

Remember the truth that idiots can defeat idiotproof.

PS. Thinking of picking up the phone, I did that this morning to my insurance broker.  I have been with them a number of years but this year did not get a reminder.  I was about 8th in a queue.   I eventually got through to reception.  Rather than connect me I was transferred to a call back list. 

I am glad for their sakes that they have lots of business,  though not mine this year as I am yet to get the call back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steven83 said:

I can’t believe this has become such a  topic of conversation, seems pretty obvious really. 

Maybe so but I think it's about the meaning of that phrase that has changed over time...

Back in the 70's & 80's, the question, "has it been modified?" was understood to actually mean "have you made any changes to the car's standard specification to try and make it go faster?" (and therefore the implied "and made it less safe")

Nowadays, and as you suggest, it's just a methodology for the insurance companies to avoid paying out! (one of the reasons that I HATE insurance in general)

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links