Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Yaris vs Honda Jazz

ninanina

3 hours ago, Cyker said:

There's no option for "None of your business!" and I figured selecting Other would be less confusing than, picking some random county.

A bit paranoid? If you don't want to give the actual county pick one adjacent - not random, but not much help with tracking.

But I don't entirely disagree with your stance. There should be a 'UK' or maybe the four countries options. I often give a somewhat false DoB and/or address on sites that clearly have no need to know or ask for that info.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/1/2024 at 9:23 PM, ninanina said:

I have a Mk 4 Prius at the moment but I’m considering a brand new car and to be honest I don’t need a big car anymore 

I’ve been with Toyota for many years and always been very happy 

Just wondering if anyone has compared the new Yaris against the Honda Jazz Hybrid and if so what were your impressions 

Just dont. There is nothing available atm that means you wont lose out. 

• Confused 1

On 5/2/2024 at 6:00 PM, Cyker said:

Ahh apologies, I keep forgetting about that - There's no option for "None of your business!" and I figured selecting Other would be less confusing than, picking some random county.

Most of the regulars are well aware I'm in the UK and even which part as I've mentioned it in passing on numerous occasions.

Still, this is a good object lesson about why nobody should take anything they read on the internet as gospel without checking, especially on forums! :laugh: 

For extra clarification, my name is also not Mynamesnotactuallymoo :laugh: 

You’re getting as grumpy as me but I reckon, if you think something say it.  I tend not to get so offended by name calling but I’d prefer not to get thumped!  Because I live up in the hills, the lads at college called me the sheep shggr (pick holes out of that snowflake filter!).  We are however hoping to get gas and electricity in our encampment so that’ll shut them up.  We don’t eat the sheep, after seasoning we sell it to the lads at Stockport College (that’ll get me in trouble with the moderator stool pigeon).  Anyway, enough about tasty lamb chops, I know why you fly under the radar Cyksie, it’s so Khaaaans henchmen can’t catch up with you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 5/2/2024 at 10:51 PM, Paul john said:

Just dont. There is nothing available atm that means you wont lose out. 

Why are you so concerned about his money and what he does with it?  There’s clearly nothing better than your Prius but he’s not asking that question.  

• Thanks 1

The only thing I think that I will lose would be the HUD as otherwise the specs are similar in the Excel trim for the Yaris and Advance trim in the Jazz

Apart from less space of course compared to my Prius 

• Like 2

The new premiere comes with a hud, assuming you are aware of this. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mojo1010 said:

The new premiere comes with a hud, assuming you are aware of this. 

Thank you Mojo I wasn’t aware of that however I think that the Excel specs come with everything I really need 

I will say don't just drive them - Especially if you're going to be carting people about in it: Have a sit in the back, play with the seat controls, look in and under the boot, play with all the buttons, find all the storage areas etc.

One area the Yaris definitely looses to the Jazz is the back - The Yaris' rear doors are a joke and I swear they open smaller than the Aygo's rear doors! :eek: It makes getting in and out the back tricky for anyone with mobility issues. (I often wish the Yaris Mk4's' rear seats were more like the Jazz's or even the old Mk2 Yaris, which had similarly flexible rear seats)

The Yaris' main pull for me is it's very responsive, agile and still relatively small, which makes it feel much more comfortable threading through the narrow streets of ol' London town and squeezed into tight parking spaces, while still having the grunt to be flung along at motorway speeds. You can really feel the shift in direction laid down by Akio Toyoda to make their cars more engaging to drive.

The Prius will be a LOT more comfortable for long distance runs and has better visibility and internal space, but the Yaris and Jazz will beat it easily for mpg.

If you want a HUD, the previous Launch Edition and early Excel with Tech pack have them, as does the new Premiere 130 Mojo mentions. There were a few used Launch Editions which were priced at a significant saving vs their new price last time I looked.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Beverly, if a spare spacesaver wheel is important to you bear in mind it is not an option on the Jazz, there isn't a wheelwell in the boot, a spare wheel can be sourced but nowhere to store it in the car  

• Like 1

Yaris wins over Prius in regards to seat height position and accessibility. It is better than Prius and Corolla models which are ultra low. Also head room in Yaris is better than these two. Perhaps the Honda jazz will be better than Yaris but if this is of any concern then a Yaris cross might be added to the list. I know it’s not anyone’s cup of tea but this little car offers more interior space than Corolla hatchback, larger boot while remains so slightly larger than Yaris sister. If me I will consider this model too and give a test drive. Plus the cross has higher clearance and chunkier wheels tyres , something so useful in uk as the road network these days looks more like a Afghan roads through the mountains rather than civilised world motorway. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I’ve read a bit more about the new Honda Jazz and it seems to be giving owners some problems 

None of these Jazz can be older than 4 years and most have low mileage but the list of failures are: Brake failure, folding door mirror failure, seat base sides cracking and windscreen delaminating 

It’s really put me off a Jazz. I wouldn’t mind if Honda gave a 10 year warranty like Toyota but you only get 5 years 

It is such a shame because I really love the design of the Jazz 

I think I will have to stick to Toyota 

• Like 3

Yes stick with Toyota young Bev have you got a friendly Toyota dealer near by like I have ? Have a trip to the showroom have coffee and hob nob and have a good look at the new Yaris 

• Like 3

Well I had a test drive of the Jazz this morning and came away pretty impressed to be honest 

The most surprising thing was how quickly, and without fuss, it got up to motorway speed and sitting at 70 seemed quiet and relaxed 

Of course the ride isn’t quite as plush as the Prius but it’s not uncomfortable either 

I definitely will be testing out the new Yaris as well so I can compare the two 

• Like 2

On 5/3/2024 at 7:31 PM, Cyker said:

The Yaris' main pull for me is it's very responsive, agile and still relatively small, which makes it feel much more comfortable threading through the narrow streets of ol' London town and squeezed into tight parking spaces

Even better would be a bicycle for when Sad Dirk bans all cars in London 😁

• Like 1

having had an older model Jazz for 10 years and when looking to replace I looked at the new jazz and the yaris. I would say that the jazz has much better visibility of things like curbs with its little quarter light glass, has a better sounding thud when closing the doors, easier to get in and out of and excellent back seats concept of how they fold. But I fancied something that looked a bit more less old man car (even though I am) and for the money I got a lot more gadgets on the Yaris and dealer location was another factor as the honda one was some distance away.

I dont think you will go wrong with either car just depends what you want out of a car.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MardyMarvin said:

having had an older model Jazz for 10 years and when looking to replace I looked at the new jazz and the yaris. I would say that the jazz has much better visibility of things like curbs with its little quarter light glass, has a better sounding thud when closing the doors, easier to get in and out of and excellent back seats concept of how they fold. But I fancied something that looked a bit more less old man car (even though I am) and for the money I got a lot more gadgets on the Yaris and dealer location was another factor as the honda one was some distance away.

I dont think you will go wrong with either car just depends what you want out of a car.

Did you drive the new Jazz MardyMarvin? If so how did it compare to your Yaris?  

I actually like the shape and look of the Jazz but I’m not against the style of the Yaris either 

• Like 1

On 5/2/2024 at 4:40 AM, anchorman said:

Firstly, unless you buy the entry level model of either Jazz or Yaris, you won’t lose any spec other than the JBL which is back on some models (it went during the chip shortage and so did the Jazz version but that’s back too).  I’ll go so far as to say, the Jazz Hybrid is much better build quality and far more sumptuous than the Cross.  It’s quieter inside and the four cylinder engine is like a sewing machine which is typically Honda.  It patches up the shortfalls of the Cross with things like sound deadening and interior lighting which let the Cross down (may be addressed on the forthcoming 24 model).  I can tell you that it suffers exactly the same 12v battery issues, if you can call it that and is well documented on Honda forums.  That might be sortable and didn’t influence my decision so what did?  Well I’d already paid for four all season tyres that were sitting at ATS and a different size to the Jazz and I’d already sorted a lot of effort to change the security parking passes.  The only reason I looked at a Jazz was a row about the registration date that they promised December 22 and registered it in 22 when it didn’t arrive at the dealer until 23 after telling them I’d changed the passes (I park under a main line station which for some reason they are pretty tetchy about).  I had to go and park on a public car park over Christmas and New Year all because of the deception to make their figures look right.  There was one other thing and it may sound and it may be trivial but I intended keeping that car a long time and I had less confidence in the quite new Honda powertrain than the log established Toyota.  That may be unfounded and all I would say is, drive them both and choose the one you like best.  The Jazz is a very worthy alternative to the Cross.  In reality, it’s more like a Lexus LBX than a Cross. 

I’ve messed up here.  The one I looked at was the HRV.  The Jazz is no match for a Yaris or Cross.  Off to fall on my sword now.

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, ninanina said:

Well I had a test drive of the Jazz this morning and came away pretty impressed to be honest 

The most surprising thing was how quickly, and without fuss, it got up to motorway speed and sitting at 70 seemed quiet and relaxed 

Of course the ride isn’t quite as plush as the Prius but it’s not uncomfortable either 

I definitely will be testing out the new Yaris as well so I can compare the two 

Did the Honda dealer offer a coffee and a hob nob ?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, ninanina said:

Did you drive the new Jazz MardyMarvin? If so how did it compare to your Yaris?  

I actually like the shape and look of the Jazz but I’m not against the style of the Yaris either 

I did test drive the new jazz and it did not really drive much different to the old jazz which was a good thing as the old jazz was a nice drive. I am no car expert and think they drove the same to be honest I do think though because of the seating in the Yaris seeming to be a little lower and laid back it just made it feel a little more sporty. But that has the disadvantage or a bit harder to get out of. Iits like most test drives you get half hour or so to drive it about and I just thought the Yaris was a little more fun and this time around I fancied a fun car.

so if I was to sum it up I would say if you want a car that has better all round visibility, easy to get in and out of, good rear storage and better rear passenger space go for the Jazz. If you want a fun, more modern looking and better gadgets for the price get the Yaris as I did.

• Like 2

A family member phoned me a couple of days ago and said he had ordered a MG3 hybrid which was a new car, cheaper, faster etc than my Yaris. Hadn’t considered it when buying. It looks nice but I had a Nissan Note for 7 years and wanted to get away from the generic look which put me off the Jazz. I love the sporty look of my Yaris. Have had trouble getting my seat comfortable- back, neck, shoulder, arm pain. Think I’m getting there though. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MardyMarvin said:

Yeah, they are both good cars; If anything the Jazz is much more a spiritual successor to the original Yarisuseseiseses as it's a lot more function over form. It's just a bit funny how they are both very similar in many ways but very different in others.

I'd rate the Jazz better as a practical A-B car, but the Yaris is better for people who enjoy driving and like their tech (I love my HUD :wub:). I still can't get over how much better the new platforms handling is compared to the previous models, and it's such a joy to throw it round twisty country roads or even just manoeuvring through urban roads. Just driving it makes me inexplicably happy :biggrin: 

The Jazz is noticeably more rollypolly, similar to the Mk1 and Mk2 Yarisuseses, and you can feel the body flex more than in the Yaris, which is very stiff by comparison.

I'd almost say the Jazz is better for people who liked the Yarisy things in the Mk1 and Mk2 Yaris, but the Mk4 Yaris is better for people who want something that drives like a Ford Fiesta but doesn't randomly break and has double the mpg :laugh: 

22 hours ago, Chas G said:

Even better would be a bicycle for when Sad Dirk bans all cars in London 😁

He'll never ban them - They are the cash cow that will plug the massive hole in his finances! :fear: 

4 hours ago, Sharnie70 said:

A family member phoned me a couple of days ago and said he had ordered a MG3 hybrid which was a new car, cheaper, faster etc than my Yaris. Hadn’t considered it when buying. It looks nice but I had a Nissan Note for 7 years and wanted to get away from the generic look which put me off the Jazz. I love the sporty look of my Yaris. Have had trouble getting my seat comfortable- back, neck, shoulder, arm pain. Think I’m getting there though. 

Yeah this is a weird thing about the Mk4 - I don't know what kind of creature the seats are designed for, but I find them the least comfortable seats of all the generations of Yaris - This is the first Yaris I've had to buy a lumbar support cushion for, as my back was being literally crippled after driving it for more than an hour! :eek: 

I have also had to play around with the seat position and especially the rake and reach of the steering wheel more than any other car to find the optimal seating position where my arms don't get achy but my vision isn't totally obscured by the A and B pillars... (Which is why I really wish they had powered memory seats, as it takes me weeks to get the seat right again after I get it back from servicing! :crybaby:  :laugh: )

This is another area the Jazz does a lot better in...!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ninanina said:

Very interesting comparisons of the two 

7 hours ago, Chas G said:

just remember these are from the looks of the pics the none 24 model so the dash has changed and then if you happen to get the premier edition with the HUD that also has a new drivetrain in that is not on the lower spec 24 models

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, MardyMarvin said:

just remember these are from the looks of the pics the none 24 model so the dash has changed and then if you happen to get the premier edition with the HUD that also has a new drivetrain in that is not on the lower spec 24 models

Point taken but wouldn't apply to me. I have no interest in the latest stuff that I don't need or want like heated seats/steering wheel, HUD, dumb entry, satnav, big wheels etc. The only must for me is a reversing camera.

Loads of nearly new examples  of the Jazz and Crosstar 122hp with next to no mileage on them at very attractive prices.

My ex has a Jazz and I was amazed at how much room there was in the cabin.

I have a 22 Yaris Cross Icon and when I change I might consider the Jazz Crosstar up to 1 year old.

The biggest downside of going would be Honda losing the 10 year Toyota warranty but by the time I change cars in September 25, I am very unlikely to live long enough to worry about it.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links