Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

High mileage 5th gen buying advice?

elmariachi

Hi all.

I'm considering switching from a BEV when the lease expires to a used 5th gen RAV4 but my budget (up to around £17k) will only allow for something with high mileage of around 75k+.

I wouldn't normally consider spending that much on a car with those miles, but give the well-proven drivetrain and the fact it's a Toyota, I'm tempted.

Is this a silly idea? 🙂 I like the styling, space and the hybrid nature of the RAV4 - the main alternative is a Skoda Karoq but there isn't a hybrid version.

What should I look for given that budget? I'd love things like heated seats but appreciate I might be lucky to find an Excel (?) in scope. Apple Carplay/Android Auto are essential and I understand these weren't fitted to the earliest cars?

TIA.

High mileage shouldn't be a problem, but for added security I would purchase from a Toyota dealer.  You'll get a 12month warranty every time it's serviced, until it's 10 yrs old or done 100,000 miles.  The warranty will still apply wherever you bought it.  As long as Toyota service it.
In the US they would consider a car with 75,000 mile on the clock, just about run in.

We have a 2020 model, it has voice control of the navigation even without the Android Auto.

• Like 1

That's a good point, I'd heard that Toyota now offer a 10yr warranty although if the limit is 100k miles then I might not have that warranty for a lot longer after purchase 🙂 Presumably the warranty is only valid if serviced by Toyota and not 3rd party?

Edit - also worth getting Toyota MD servicing for the 15-year hybrid Battery cover.

• Like 1

The warranty is effectively for twelve months / 10,000 miles after each service by a Toyota dealer up to 10 years / 100,000 miles whichever comes first. In practice, it is probably good for up to 110,000 miles if you were to time the last service 'perfectly'.

To be sure of AA / ACP you'd need to be looking at 2020 models and later - it's a bit of a lottery for 2019 models.

And the rest you pretty much know. Having lurked around here 'forever' I'm not aware of any mileage related weaknesses. A quick look at Autotrader suggests that you'll be pushed to get what you want within budget. And even at £18k you'd probably have to settle for a Design spec.

But then, rhetorically, why do you think these cars hold their value quite so well? 😉

Out of idle curiosity, why the switch from BEV in your case?

• Like 2

Is Design the entry level spec? Wasn't sure if it's that or Icon. But yes, it's a bit of a squeeze finding one in budget 😬 I just think it's 'more car' than a Skoda Karoq (even though they seem perfectly good) for not a lot more money - plus historical scepticism re VAG group cars in general.

Re switching away from BEV, it's mainly cost - for the same budget I can get a Niro but we need something slightly bigger and that quickly becomes out of budget, plus the whole EV market volatility at the moment means it's a risk. Seems mainly linked to fears over Battery longevity - what will it be worth once the car hits the ends of the Battery warranty? Range practicalities are also a minor consideration - we like long road trips and with the best will in the world, an EV does require more planning/time for charging - it's just easier with a hybrid which doesn't have that limitation.

Ideally I'd have a PHEV RAV4 since we already have a charging point installed at home but they're too pricey.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, elmariachi said:

Is Design the entry level spec? Wasn't sure if it's that or Icon.

No, and yes! The Design is effectively the "everyman" spec - it's got pretty much everything that you really need but not everything that your heart might desire.

The Icon was the entry level grade for the 4.5 but has since been discontinued, so the 'cheapest' grade that one can order today is the Design. There are, effectively, three grades:

• Design
  • Excel - Design with more 'toys'
  • Dynamic or GR-Sport - Design with more 'style'
  • Like 3

Thanks @philip42h, I'll bear that in mind.

There is a good article in AutoExpress this week on buying a second hand 5th gen RAV4.

I have had two Toyotas go well over 100000 miles with no problems with reliability, just one exhaust replacement needed. These are extremely well screwed together cars and the current RAV4 just carries on the tradition. We have come back from a 1500 mile trip over quite a variety of roads and this edition is just so comfortable and sure footed.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2024 at 12:19 PM, philip42h said:

The Icon was the entry level grade for the 4.5 but has since been discontinued, so the 'cheapest' grade that one can order today is the Design. There are, effectively, three grades:

• Design
  • Excel - Design with more 'toys'
  • Dynamic or GR-Sport - Design with more 'style'

I didn't even look at what spec our 2020 model was when we bought it. It was a case of "That's nice, we'll have that one"  , On the Used Vehicle Order it says Rav4 Dynamic, Dynamic Sports Seats, I didn't even realise it was "Bi-Tone"

There are more bells and whistles which can be added I believe, such as Leather seats, heated steering wheel etc.

I wouldn't see me ever using a heated steering wheel, as I've never used the heated seats in any vehicle I've owned.

I'm not a big fan of leather seats either.

On 5/2/2024 at 11:20 AM, elmariachi said:

That's a good point, I'd heard that Toyota now offer a 10yr warranty although if the limit is 100k miles then I might not have that warranty for a lot longer after purchase 🙂 Presumably the warranty is only valid if serviced by Toyota and not 3rd party?

Yes , it needs to be serviced by Toyota.  That's not cheap, but  worth it

18 hours ago, Hadrian1 said:

I wouldn't see me ever using a heated steering wheel, as I've never used the heated seats in any vehicle I've owned.

I love the heated steering wheel in my Excel, a boon on cold mornings as I don't like driving wearing gloves

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links