Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2016 1.6D Auris tyres ?

Jamie 1234

The wife's Auris has low profile 225/45/R17 tyres, to gain some comfort we wish to have less of a low profile and have been advised we  could change to 225/50/R17 without issue , we heard a 55 profile might be possible ?

So need some advice from those here please ?

Best James 

Hi James,changing to 225/50/R17 tyres would be perfectly safe for your wife's Auris. This increases the sidewall height by 12.5mm compared to the 225/45/R17, giving a more comfortable ride while a 225/55/R17 tyre might also fit, it's always best to check with a tyre place. They can make sure the larger size won't rub other bits of the car. They can also advise on any impact on speedometer accuracy and fuel economy. A bigger tyre can cause your speedometer to read a tad slower than your actual speed. Something to remember, especially on motorways. Bigger tyres can also slightly decrease fuel efficiency, but it's usually negligible.  A slightly taller sidewall can provide a softer ride, but it might come at the expense of some handling.Hope this helps :smile:

I have always been against these tyre size changes on the same wheels. 
The proper way of doing tyre size change is to change together with the wheels, for example if you prefer cheaper tyres and extra comfort/ efficiency get a set of new 16” wheels and 205/55 16 tyres. 
If you only change the tyres, you are actually changing dynamic characteristics of your car, acceleration, steering, braking, handling.
You may get some benefits but you will lose others and these could be a crucial factor in an event of emergency.  
Your insurance needs to be informed too. 
Here two websites to look yourself what and how it’s changing. 

https://www.wheel-size.com
https://www.willtheyfit.com

and again change together with new wheels or just buy best possible tyres to suit your needs. Goodyear efficient grip performance 2 are one of the best summer tyres for Toyota cars. All season like Goodyear vectors or Michelin cross climates are also good alternative if you get bad weather during winter. 

• Like 1

https://tiresize.com/tyre-size-calculator/

It depends if the tolerance is ok. I'm not against changing tyre size on the same wheel at all, provided that its still legal. Manufacturers do state in the handbook the alternative(s) size for your car.

Have done so to a couple of my previous cars, improvements in the areas i was looking to improve for sure. 

On 5/5/2024 at 1:26 PM, TonyHSD said:

I have always been against these tyre size changes on the same wheels...

Be sure to check with your insurance company before you change the spec of any tyres you might fit. Many years ago I had a 1999 Corolla and I wanted to fit 'S' rated tyres (max speed 112mph) instead of the OEM 'V' rated (max speed 149mph) tyres. I asked my insurance company and they said it would void my insurance. "OEM spec only" was the mantra. 

You fitted a lower speed ratings that's the reason, need to be equal or better speed ratings. 

14 hours ago, Mojo1010 said:

You fitted a lower speed ratings that's the reason...

I know. But 'S' tyres would still have comfortably exceeded the capability of the car. My old (1.6 litre, auto) Corolla could not get anywhere near 112mph. I was trying to illustrate that any changes to the car (like changing from 45 section tyres to 50) should be given the OK by the insurance company. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links