Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Air Conditioning Servicing on 2 year old vehicle

Andrew56

I have just read this thread and I think I can offer some clarification for the Efficient Ventilation Mode (EVM)when it is enabled, which it is by default.

If you have the CC in auto and have recirc on when you park and switch off the EVM will open the recirc flap after 60 seconds to allow fresh air to enter the car.  When the car is restarted it will revert to recirc.

You can check this by switching off somewhere quiet while in recirc.  Then after a minute you will here a faint noise as the flap opens.  

I run my CC in Auto mode usually set to 20 and when I am on a long run on a hot summers day I will select the fast option.  This makes the fan speed a little more aggressive if the interior temperature deviates from the set temperature.  I don't have the vents pointing directly at me or my passenger, I have them all centred and and pointing up to cool the whole cabin, I find this provides a more comfortable atmosphere.  

• Like 4

6 hours ago, anchorman said:

I shall continue to utilise the very expensive and very efficient auto mode that has never caused me a problem or funny smells.  It amazes me how many owners don’t understand automatic climate control.  

Had a scare today. Took a trip out in the sunshine (most of my trips are in the evening) and wasn't getting much cooling, even when turning the temp down to 19. I thought at 6 years old I was going too have to book a regas for it.

Eventually I noticed the a/c light was off. Pushed the button and nearly froze after a minute or two. It seems that pressing Auto doesn't engage the a/c automatically. I don't know for sure how or when it got turned off, but SWMBO used the dual feature recently and I guess managed to push the a/c one as well.

• Like 3

Mike,

Look at the settings for the CC.  From memory the is a page with two lines:

1. Efficient Ventilation Mode - this should be on

2. A/C on in Auto - this should be on.   This will make the A/C start when you press Auto

I hope this helps.

On 5/10/2024 at 2:48 PM, Andrew56 said:

Do members of this forum get their car air conditioning serviced?

During my 2 year service on my Yaris Design, I was offered this service for an additional £90, plus another £20 for a "sanity system clean" (and another £20 for fuel treatment!).  I was told this was recommended every 2 years by Toyota - but I  can find nothing in writing to back up this asertion.  I politely declined - and pointed out I had asked prior to the service if any extras which could be forseen would be presented to me on day.  I was told no, Toyota carefully list in their schedule all that is needed.

I did not press the point and obtain further details, but it has made me wonder what this service could really entail.  What could gradually degrade and likely need attention on a 2 year old vehicle, unless it could be loss of gas, which I guess is unlikely to be significant at this stage.  To give context I am unaware of any problems.

Any comments....

I had an Avensis for 16yrs and never had the AC serviced except when I first bought it and later topped it up with a Halfords top up system.n I never had trouble with smells, which begs the question why do they have trouble now?

The only change is the type of refigerant

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, MikeSh said:

Had a scare today. Took a trip out in the sunshine (most of my trips are in the evening) and wasn't getting much cooling, even when turning the temp down to 19. I thought at 6 years old I was going too have to book a regas for it.

Eventually I noticed the a/c light was off. Pushed the button and nearly froze after a minute or two. It seems that pressing Auto doesn't engage the a/c automatically. I don't know for sure how or when it got turned off, but SWMBO used the dual feature recently and I guess managed to push the a/c one as well.

😂.  You put a good case for a 6 year old 😉.  My Mrs presses everything in sight when she gets in.  

• Haha 2

On 5/8/2024 at 11:12 PM, MikeSh said:

Rear ends are generally very fragile - compared to the front these days. With weight savings paramount the strength will go to the place of most (likely) benefit ... ie. the place that benefits the NCAP rating.

3 hours ago, Trewithy said:

I have just read this thread and I think I can offer some clarification for the Efficient Ventilation Mode (EVM)when it is enabled, which it is by default.

If you have the CC in auto and have recirc on when you park and switch off the EVM will open the recirc flap after 60 seconds to allow fresh air to enter the car.  When the car is restarted it will revert to recirc.

You can check this by switching off somewhere quiet while in recirc.  Then after a minute you will here a faint noise as the flap opens.  

I run my CC in Auto mode usually set to 20 and when I am on a long run on a hot summers day I will select the fast option.  This makes the fan speed a little more aggressive if the interior temperature deviates from the set temperature.  I don't have the vents pointing directly at me or my passenger, I have them all centred and and pointing up to cool the whole cabin, I find this provides a more comfortable atmosphere.  

This is what's confusing, as someone else said it does virtually the opposite of that earlier in the thread! (i.e. in use it auto-changes to recirc, rather than auto-changing to fresh :laugh: )

The worst thing is that you might both be right, and Toyota have used the same name and setting for 2 different functions on 2 different cars! :laugh: 

• Confused 1

In the new cars, it's annoying because it appears to be fully automatic for both but crucially, doesn't indicate by way of the LEDs, what the heck it is actually doing!! The numpties!

I take no chances now and make sure that I press outside air as part of my startup checks. The only time I use recirculate is if there is some smelly old diesel vehicle that I can see up front...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Trewithy said:

Mike,

Look at the settings for the CC.  From memory the is a page with two lines:

1. Efficient Ventilation Mode - this should be on

2. A/C on in Auto - this should be on.   This will make the A/C start when you press Auto

I hope this helps.

Can't see anything in settings regarding climate control. Mine is MK3, are you talking mk4?

9 hours ago, CPN said:

The only time I use recirculate is if there is some smelly old diesel vehicle that I can see up front...

I love that smell as long as it is right.

I suppose years of mending them and knowing what they should smell like is a sort of nostalgic experience for me. 🙂

6 hours ago, MikeSh said:

Can't see anything in settings regarding climate control. Mine is MK3, are you talking mk4?

The settings I referred to relate to my Corolla.  I thought the Yaris would have been the same.

19 hours ago, MikeSh said:

If you turned off AC pressing the AC key,  AUTO mode will not automatically turn AC on.  The only case I've seen where AC is automatically turned on ( if it was off ) is when you push the fast windscreen defrost key.

About Efficient Ventilation Mode somewhere I've read that, on car equipped with DUAL climate system, it uses the weight sensor on passenger seat to reduce the air flow on passenger side when you're alone in the car. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, RickyC said:

If you turned off AC pressing the AC key,  AUTO mode will not automatically turn AC on.  The only case I've seen where AC is automatically turned on ( if it was off ) is when you push the fast windscreen defrost key.

About Efficient Ventilation Mode somewhere I've read that, on car equipped with DUAL climate system, it uses the weight sensor on passenger seat to reduce the air flow on passenger side when you're alone in the car. 

Correct on both parts 👍

• Like 3

The climate control in my Corolla it is set up so that AC starts when I press Auto.  But it can be configured so that ventilation / heater will start when pressing Auto without the AC coming on.

Efficient Ventilation Mode can also be set to On or Off.

Its all in the Vehicle Settings.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MikeSh said:

If you mean the Efficient Ventilation thing, I think it's a newish thing so prolly not on the Mk3 Yaris; I know the Mk4 Yaris and the Mk12 Corolla do, probably the current RAV4 too.

(You're not missing much TBH, just another confusing and poorly documented control :laugh: )

6 hours ago, RickyC said:

Ah now that's a new one to me! Would make more sense for the Efficient part of the name... any idea where you read that...?

• Like 1

Protyres are running 0% pff ac regas currently. I have booked an ac regas for later today., if anyone interested here the link https://www.protyre.co.uk/aircon

I had done twice previously with them in 2016 and 2020 and now booked again same garage. They usually  have oil for hybrids, but let see what happens later. 

• Like 1

I've checked, and surprisingly, my car has an Efficient Ventilation Mode. There's a button, on the door, I push and down goes a window - amazing!

• Haha 5

13 hours ago, Cyker said:

Ah now that's a new one to me! Would make more sense for the Efficient part of the name... any idea where you read that...?

I don't remember where I've read it.  I think on another forum. But I've never seen an official document/manual page that states it.  So I can't trust that it's correct.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2024 at 2:49 AM, TonyHSD said:

...In fact if you turn off the ac few minutes before you stop and park the car you will lock moisture in the system and cause bad odour... the hvac system remains active after we switch off the car....

Can you write more about this idea or experience ?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dala said:

Can you write more about this idea or experience ?

If we use AC in any car we should keep it on all the time and preferably in auto mode. It’s absolutely not necessary to turn AC off few minutes before we arrive at our destination and we park the car, it’s actually totally wrong. 
Every time AC is turned ON after a period of inactivity it will introduce bad odour to the interior.
If we play with AC and turn it off before we switch off the car will be the same affect and also we may get foggy windows. The reason is simple, once the AC is off the already cold evaporator will very quickly become warm and  wet and the air from dry will become ultra moisturised and the fan will send this damp air straight into the interior. 
Turn AC on, set your preferred temperature and forget are the best settings in any car with climate control. Play with ac on or off and you will have ba d smell. 
For those who doesn’t like ac in cars all year around and only use them through the summer months there is no problems at all. No need to run it to keep it working. 
Now from my car re gas today update. 
For 4 years and over 120 000 miles the AC systems has only lost 90gr of gas out of 470 and 3gr of oil. Vacuum test pass ok and they refilled the systems with gas and oil again. This is my third time doing ac regas, first was in 2016, then 2020 and now 2024. I am using ac on all the time since last summer, all previous years I had only used ac during  hot weather and sometimes ac been off for over 5-6 months, and when turned on always been working fine. Cabin filter change 3-5 times a year with every oil change. 👍

image.thumb.jpeg.99aa3ac28b7585fdd744fe1e00fe2cbc.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

If we use AC in any car we should keep it on all the time and preferably in auto mode. It’s absolutely not necessary to turn AC off few minutes before we arrive at our destination and we park the car, it’s actually totally wrong. 
Every time AC is turned ON after a period of inactivity it will introduce bad odour to the interior.
If we play with AC and turn it off before we switch off the car will be the same affect and also we may get foggy windows. The reason is simple, once the AC is off the already cold evaporator will very quickly become warm and  wet and the air from dry will become ultra moisturised and the fan will send this damp air straight into the interior. 
Turn AC on, set your preferred temperature and forget are the best settings in any car with climate control. Play with ac on or off and you will have ba d smell. 
For those who doesn’t like ac in cars all year around and only use them through the summer months there is no problems at all. No need to run it to keep it working. 
Now from my car re gas today update. 
For 4 years and over 120 000 miles the AC systems has only lost 90gr of gas out of 470 and 3gr of oil. Vacuum test pass ok and they refilled the systems with gas and oil again. This is my third time doing ac regas, first was in 2016, then 2020 and now 2024. I am using ac on all the time since last summer, all previous years I had only used ac during  hot weather and sometimes ac been off for over 5-6 months, and when turned on always been working fine. Cabin filter change 3-5 times a year with every oil change. 👍

You’ve got nice fingers Tony!

• Haha 7

9 hours ago, anchorman said:

You’ve got nice fingers Tony!

Thanks, this reply I was waiting for but from another member.
Thank you anyway, you were faster this time 😅👌

• Haha 4

On 5/10/2024 at 11:23 PM, Stevie J said:

The A/C in mine is pretty poor, on days such as today, when it was sunny all day and got up to 22C it gives only mildly cooled air from the vents when switched on, but eventually it will cool down the car sufficiently, just seems to take time to get going. I usually set the recirc once the car has cooled down enough.

If there's not a fault with the system then regassing a car after 2yrs is ridiculous.

Is it the car or the driver that's at fault for an inefficient a/c?  I use Stevie J reply above as an example of bad practice.

It's warm outside and the air inside the car is warmer still. So what Stevie is doing is driving off and introducing the warm air from outisde to cool that car's interior. NO WONDER IT'S SLOW TO COOL !  🤣

Tip.  If the air inside the car is warm first thing to do is turn on a/c and recirculate. ( many cars automatically set recirculate when a/c comes on ).  The last thing you want to do is introduce warm air from the outside!   As you drive off, lower all the windows to get the warm air inside the car out a.s.a.p.  If you have an opening sunroof - better still !   Close all the windows and roof then after about 20-30secs, let the cool air from the a/c fill car and keep that air recirulating around.

Hope that helps someone.

There are many things I can criticise our Yaris Cross for but the a/c isn't one of them. It works no less efficient that other cars we've owned.  

1 hour ago, RonYarisX said:

If there's not a fault with the system then regassing a car after 2yrs is ridiculous.

Is it the car or the driver that's at fault for an inefficient a/c?  I use Stevie J reply above as an example of bad practice.

It's warm outside and the air inside the car is warmer still. So what Stevie is doing is driving off and introducing the warm air from outisde to cool that car's interior. NO WONDER IT'S SLOW TO COOL !  🤣

Tip.  If the air inside the car is warm first thing to do is turn on a/c and recirculate. ( many cars automatically set recirculate when a/c comes on ).  The last thing you want to do is introduce warm air from the outside!   As you drive off, lower all the windows to get the warm air inside the car out a.s.a.p.  If you have an opening sunroof - better still !   Close all the windows and roof then after about 20-30secs, let the cool air from the a/c fill car and keep that air recirulating around.

Hope that helps someone.

There are many things I can criticise our Yaris Cross for but the a/c isn't one of them. It works no less efficient that other cars we've owned.  

I had the car in Kwik Fit on Monday. They did a service on the car and also re-gassed the a/c. The difference after they did that is very marked. The a/c comes on very cold through the vents very quickly after starting the car now. They said the gas was very low, not run out completely, but needed doing. Car gets nice and cool pretty quickly now, but the real test is when and if we get temperatures outside of 25C and higher. And yes, I usually do open the doors and windows first to let the excess heat out. If the outside temperature is less than the temperature in the car, then I will use fresh air inlet until the car has cooled down lower than the outside air, then switch the recirc on.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Cabin filter change 3-5 times a year with every oil change. 👍

You change your cabin filter and oil 3-5 times a year? blimey, that's a lot of cabin filters and oil changes, lol

Good price though, I paid Kwik Fit £65 for the same thing on Monday. A/c works a treat now compared to before and its the fist time my car has ever had a a/c regas since it was new. When my mother had the car before me, she hardly used the a/c and it probably lost most of the gas during her ownership. Use it or lose it so they say.

• Like 2

Before switching off the vehicle, do you switch the air conditioning to the outside circuit or leave it on the inside circuit?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links