Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

First MOT and 3rd Service

ernieb

All went fine so no problems there. However, there is always the Visual Safety Report to negotiate. This always seems to include a ‘yellow’ warning that the AC/Heating ‘might’ need to be topped up as well as the need to use an antibacterial cleanser. I was one of three guys who were sitting waiting for their cars to be serviced and we all got the same ‘yellow’ warning. One guy had it done as it was a company car and he was not paying for it. I had already decided to change the pollen filter myself and also bought a ‘bomb’ to clean the AC/Heating system. The bomb and  filter together cost £35. Could have been cheaper but I got a Bosch three layer filter - anti microbial, carbon and microfibre. The offer at the garage was £275 reduced to £225 as I had a service contract.

Any thoughts, what would others have done?

Before and after photo of pollen filter.

IMG_3288.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Mine’s in for it’s 3rd service and MOT next month, be interesting to see if it shows up on mine.

Also the service manager reminded me that this is the last service under my current service plan and she would prepare a new quote for me, anyone had there’s renewed recently and what are you paying?

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, ernieb said:

I had already decided to change the pollen filter myself

I understood that was on the service schedule for every second year and thus within the price of the service plan ... (but I could be wrong!)

I never switch the aircon off - I understand that is the best way to keep it sweet and the seals lubricated. There are no "aircon smells" after 3.5 years and I wouldn't worry about topping-up until it didn't seem to be working so well.

• Like 3

I think the pollen filter is scheduled for every 2 years but I feel that the cost is relatively small for a potential benefit. I do suffer from hay fever and asthma so figure it may well be worth doing. The old filter didn’t look horrendous but I’m not sure I’d be happy for it to run for another year. 
@philip42h, I also never turn off the AC as like you think it is better to run all year around.

There was a separate sheet showing the results of an Airco Well test measurement for bacteria. The was just very marginally in the red. Hopefully my antibacterial ‘bomb’ will have made a dent in that figure at least the car smells sweet.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Had my first MOT and 3yr service a couple of weeks ago. All good, no problems and yes, they suggested the A/C needs servicing. But... they also said that last year at the 2yr service.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, ernieb said:

Hopefully my antibacterial ‘bomb’ will have made a dent in that figure at least the car smells sweat.

I do so hope you meant sweet. 🙂

• Haha 5

When I took my car in for a service, I told them I didn't want a phone call about

bacteria in the air-con.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Strangely Brown said:

I do so hope you meant sweet. 🙂

Thanks, typo or spelling auto correct, I’ve edited the post.

• Like 1

It does seem like a good way to make some money. Maybe I’m just a bit jaundiced, put it down to my age.

However, my some stopped having his MOT at his Toyota garage as they kept flagging issues that were not a fail but maybe should be thinking about fixing. His fist MOT at a local MOT centre was totally clear.

• Like 2

Never had aircon serviced in 30 years and 6 cars. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ernieb said:

This always seems to include a ‘yellow’ warning that the AC/Heating ‘might’ need to be topped up as well as the need to use an antibacterial cleanser.

Same thing happened last year at the combined 1st MOT & service at the dealer. When I queried it, I was told it was standard practice to show an AC service was required even if it was working correctly. I declined then and will do the same this year.

• Like 4

Only problem I see is that when they tell you the air con needs a service etc. and we then give it a miss because of those silly charges is that if it does go wrong does it then give Toyota a let out on their 10 year warranty?
Terry

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Terry10 said:

Only problem I see is that when they tell you the air con needs a service etc. and we then give it a miss because of those silly charges is that if it does go wrong does it then give Toyota a let out on their 10 year warranty?
Terry

No ... the refrigerant isn't covered by warranty anyway - it's a standard consumable item. And any build-up of smelly bacteria certainly isn't.

The aircon compressor is, of course, covered by warranty but isn't impacted by topping up the refrigerant.

• Like 4

Good to hear that. Think we have all got used to dealers getting slippery shoulders hence I am always looking for the next excuse.

• Like 2

First MOT and first year with a service plan and also got a yellow for the AC, luckily the mechanic working on it said in the video uploaded update that it is recommended by Toyota as it loses 3% of the gas refrigerant after 3 years, still felt fine and cold enough in use so did not bother.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Terry10 said:

Good to hear that. Think we have all got used to dealers getting slippery shoulders hence I am always looking for the next excuse.

MOT cover incase of a failed MOT i thought was a tad overkill and reminded me how much i haven't missed car sales people 😆 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Had mine serviced and MOT at 3 years and 29000 miles last Friday, all reports in green , no warnings. 

Still on the original tires, very imprerssed with those.

• Like 5

Update:  Once again a pet bug of mine but they managed to play with the tyre pressures again during the service. All 33psi except the FL which was 37psi. I usually tell them to leave them alone but forget.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Had my three year service and first MOT done the other week. First thing I was asked was would I like some fuel injector cleaner put in which they recommended. I thought that it would do no harm so agreed.

When I got the invoice it was £12.99 for the cleaner 😲

• Like 5

Pollen filter needs changing every service. Plenty of good activated carbon filters for less than £10. Be careful with the filter cover if changing your self, holding clips are very fragile. In my experience with Toyota hybrids, they will need an AC recharge after 6 years (you will notice it is not cooling well), it is much cheaper than a full AC service dealers offer first. As long as AC is used and pollen filter regularly changed, then there should be no smell.
For the last two years, since the service cost rise, my Toyota garage uses original activated carbon pollen filter. However, they always mess with the tyre pressure, even if I tell them not to. And on the Auris, last year they managed to fit the pollen filter wrong way and squish it and this year forgot to change it, but were very apologetic and sent me the new filter.

• Like 2

Good experience shared here. AC regas it’s a good thing and once every 2-4 years. The idea here is to maintain its full potential and prevent premature wear or potential failure.
AC system naturally loses some small amount of gas with time regardless if been used or not. Seals are absolutely fine and no need to run ac in modern cars to keep it sealed or working. There are cars that ac hasn’t been on for months or years and once you turn it on it will cool down the cabin rapidly.  
Regular top ups guaranteed the system has the right amount of gas and oil which will ease the work of air conditioning compressor, prolong its life and ensure higher efficiency. 
Using heating during winter and keeping hvac ON either with ac or without are the most important things to do to maintain odourless ventilation system in your car and of course cabin filter replacement. , do with every service or once a year. 

• Like 1

On 5/27/2024 at 9:30 AM, Hybrid21 said:

Had my three year service and first MOT done the other week. First thing I was asked was would I like some fuel injector cleaner put in which they recommended. I thought that it would do no harm so agreed.

When I got the invoice it was £12.99 for the cleaner 😲

Problem is you don't know if they've actually put it in !!  Maybe I'm just a cynical old !Removed!. 😄 I did check the fuel cap and it looked like it hadn't been moved 🙂

12 hours ago, Hybrid21 said:

Problem is you don't know if they've actually put it in !!  Maybe I'm just a cynical old !Removed!. 😄 I did check the fuel cap and it looked like it hadn't been moved 🙂

If me I will buy myself  one there are plenty available on the market and it’s just add to petrol additives.
Here what I have bought for my car last week and will add tomorrow and top up. Drive to almost empty and refill again. 
Wynn's Extreme Petrol System Fuel Injector Cleaner Engine Additive Treatment 325ml https://amzn.eu/d/731qP5q

• Like 1

Hi Tony, thing is at the dealer they are using a bit of psychology on you as you book your car in.

They show you the additive and they think that if you care about your car you'll go for it and if you don't go for it you don't really care  🙂 Most people will go for it.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links