Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Changing Brake Pades Easy?

RIDGMONT

I would be grateful if anybody can advise me how easy it is to fit new brake pads on a 1999 Avensis. It is likely that I will also replace the discs as well as I think that they have warped as there is some vibration on braking. Toyota have quoted £250 for doing this which seems a little steep.

I have been offered the part from http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/ at a very good price indeed which is for Delphi pads and discs - does anybody have an opinion on using these parts instead of genuine Toyota?.

The car has done about 50 000 miles and I will also be replacing the brake shoes whilst doing the front discs do you think that the drums will need replacing?

Thank you for your help.

Ridgmont

changing the pads and discs is no harder on an avensis than on any other car ,pretty straight forward really.just be sure to take time to bed the new ones in , no hard braking for the first 1000 miles .as for the rears if there is a massive lip developed on the inside of the drum , then yes change them because its a dog to get em off once the shoes fall into this groove too far.

Has anyone got any pics/guides on how to do it, mine need replacing (GOT THE SQUEAL lol) and not a clue on how to do it, I did replace them on me old Nissan Sunny, with not too much hassle,

If someone has a step by step with or without pics it might help, am sorry to be a pain, its just that money is a little tight at the moment to replace them

Hi There

For those sort of prices I'd buy them and have a go yourself. Get some WD40 to help ease things out, then a tube of Copaslip to smear a little on the back of the new pads. Most any Haynes manual will show you how to do it. Just take your time, dont rush, and enjoy. Toyotas are like most other cars, they are designed to be looked after by not always competent people so are pretty idiot proof.

Let us know how you get on

Cheers

I have just printed out the full item on "Toyota Front Brake Disc/Pad replacement" as posted by System G. It is a very well put together psoting and well worth a look.

Does anybody have any advice on fitting brake shoes and drums?

Thank you

RIDGMONT

doing the rears is alot more tricky m8 ,alot of springs and clips , i'd leave it to pros if you never did them before .they need to be adjusted and handbrake cables slackened , far more technical than front pads.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links